SND SND-08 The One (CHUG Scale IDW Optimus Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hougangkid, Jul 27, 2022.

1. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I’d argue in that comic page, Megatron I’d depicted as much larger than Optimus; that he is *supposed* to, as TF Hot Rod has complained, tower over Optimus. That encounter is actually one of the comic appearances I was primarily thinking about when I said he should be much larger than Optimus. Notice on the top right, Megatron is larger, despite being further away from the viewer, and this appears smaller because of perspective (things Father away appear smaller). In the bottom left, notice hot Optimus is having to reach far up to hit Megatron in the face with his rifle. He’s drawn as if he is reaching quite a bit, as he is relatively far away from Megatrons head (because he is significantly shorter).

comic artists being human, the height difference varied over time. Some show them closer to the same size. But I think this one shows a significant difference.

Obviously, everyone has their own preferences regarding scale, and if you don’t like the two figures together, that’s all that matters. But for myself, given the fact that the intention with this version of Megatron seems to me to make him larger and more powerful than normal, that he was super to be imposing and tower over Optimus, and because the alt mode would naturally be much larger than a semi truck, I think it would be a good match for a decent size voyager like this figure.

at least in terms of size. I don’t think this Griffith design of Optimus matches the Figueroa Megatron design well. But again, if you like the way they look together, that’s all that matters.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except he's not, in the same issue you see Prime and Megs walking to the parking lot and few issues later is when they have their 1 on 1 and when he's not suspended in the air Megs is maybe a little taller than Optimus, like in Prime S1/2. Not drastically taller like the movie scale charts (that even the movies didn't really follow) or Animated have them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    On that I agree, although that may also be that they never really shared the page in those designs (since Megs changed bodies twice before Optimus did) in the same style and this is the first time this design for Optimus has had a proper toy. So maybe if this guy doesn't sell poorly and SND do decide to do Bomber Megatron they may look good together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so why did he surrender :) 

4. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    A means to get back to Cybertron and was having a mid-life crises, so wanted Prime to either kill him or give him that "spark" to have the thrill in fighting again.

5. theosteve

I edited my previous post about the same time you posted this. To recap, I understand that even over time, the heights will vary under the same artist, as it’s virtually impossible to draw characters to exacting scale all the time.

Even in the new page you’ve posted, megatron clearly looks much larger. Even when they are both sitting, hunched over, Megatron looks significantly bigger. I think that’s what was intended, and what Makes sense. He’s in a body that is more powerful than ever before (because of ore 13), and the size difference reflects that.

I’m not sure what the picture of TFP Optimus and Megatron Is for. I’m that continuity, yes, they were about the same size, Meg only slightly taller.

6. theosteve

All part of his 3d chess. Remember, he surrendered when he brought back Optimus, whom he’d beaten to shrapnel, with hardly a scratch on himself. He was hardly in a weak position.

7. theosteve

To belabor the point, in the picture where they are both sitting, look at where Megatron’s knee is, how long his shin is, compared to Optimus’. Look at how high Megatron’s shoulder is compared to Optimus’. Look at the highest point of the back of each of them. It looks to me as if, were they both to stand straight, Megatron would tower over Optimus the way a leader class figure towers over a voyager class figure.

and indeed, in the fourth panel, where he has been released from the energy restraints that held him above the floor, he is towering over Optimus, almost literally twice Optimus’ size. That’s probably too large, an outlier in the way their drawn. But it shows, IMO, that they are supposed to be very different in size.

8. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I'll give Griffith credit, this design does a good Megatron without being to slavish to G1-Gun Megatron. He's got all the recognizable traits of classic Megatron, but he's got some bulk, new parts, and different proportions to give the idea that he turns into a tank, which was something I liked with Siege Megatron too; he's not just Megatron with gun parts but actually he's a tank.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a scene in Chaos Theory where Optimus and some other Autobots (including Xaaron?) are commenting on the captive Megatron's new body and the dialogue is along the lines of "look at the size of him, that's one hell of an upgrade". So there's that. Although I think from the art they're talking about width and depth, not just height.

In my head, Bomber Megatron is about Ultra Magnus sized; maybe a head taller than his usual Prime size. But even that is open to personal interpretation :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jazz of Staniz

Jazz of Staniz Dean of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I definitely wouldn’t mind a figure of this design. The reason I’ve seen nobody mention it is because it was barely used in the comics and didn’t have the originality of Chaos Theory’s stealth bomber Megatron. But it’s the one I remember most because it was from the issues when I got back into IDW.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

Yeah, that price tag is likely going to put me out. Which is a bummer, because I want to support this.

• Like Like x 4
  12. CommandScreamer

CommandScreamer Well-Known Member

Wasn't $80 the base price of MMC's Optus Pexus when it was released? I mean... we know which figure is superior. $60-$65 would be the ideal price for this guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    No like $110-119 was the base price.

• Like Like x 3
  14. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    I remember deluxe sized 3P figures ranging from $50 to $100 during the height of Chug 3P, so $80 for a figure this size with such a complex transformation isn’t that bad.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nova Maximus

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    &2
    We haven't forgotten, the world has moved on. It's not worth $89.99. I've had $90.00 figures, before and this ain't it. It's no Orion.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Not for Pexus, but $80 was the price of Maketoys Striker Manus, which blows this guy out of the water (aesthetically at least, but giving Manus's quality, I have a hard time imagining SND's winning out in that regard).

• Like Like x 1
  18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are the tyres plastic or rubber? I prefer them to be plastic as rubber tends to split over time.

19. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

I have Noir, not Manus, but he's amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RonG

RonG Prime among Primes

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Looks like a nice enough figure, but I don't think it's worth the 80$ pricetag