Smooth faces or "Rubix Cube" faces?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All you talk about is how they can't look exactly the same. No one is asking for that. We want characters to be recognizable, and to not look like shredded metal bits.

So the only way to put Transformers in film is to make them growling, slobbering, bug-faced piles of car parts with little-to-no resemblence to any depiction of the character?

Yeah, like how they made Captain America only wear green and brown camo, because looking like an American flag is waaaaaay too cartoony for audiences to accept.

Oh, wait...

Transformers can be recognizable AND realistic! They don't have to be these six-eyed monstrocities with recognizable names slapped on them.

Again, no one is asking for straight-up cgi of the old designs. We want updates of these characters, LOOKING like these characters! This could've been done realistically and believable, but the fact of the matter is Bay and those that worked for him didn't give a damn about ANY of these characters and did their own thing.

I wish you could understand what I'm saying, but I get the feeling you're so dead-set on defending the movies you'll ignore what I've said and keep attacking straw men.

ILM will back up its work, and Hasbro will back whatever makes them money. Big whoop. It doesn't mean they couldn't have done it differently and, dare I say it? Better.

2. Amaya

Amaya Well-Known Member

I feel the same way as Paxtin.

In my view, the more human-like faces would make sense if they were actually built by humans. Alien robots = alien faces. But they've been drawn with smooth faces since forever so that's what most transfans are used so. But I got into Transformers through the live action movies so I'm biased that way when it comes to designs.

3. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference. And "six-eyed monstrosities"? Hm, curious. The only characters I remember having six eyes were Starscream and the Dreads.

4. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

When in the Allspark did Starscream have six eyes?

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humor me.

Brawl, Barricade, and Frenzy had four. I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

But that's not the point. Don't change the subject.

6. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

How are "changing the colors of someone called Captain America" the same as "changing the aesthetic of a character? You still have no argument to back up your statement.

7. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Not to split hairs, but a 3d model is technically also a cartoon. It's just a hyper realistic cartoon.

8. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Captain America is a comic book hero from the Marvel universe, dude.He's saying that people want the characters to look at least a bit recognizable from other incarnations of the character in other series.

Creating a whole entire look is a real turn-off and people cannot really associate the character in the movie and the character they are actually supposed to be. For example making Starscream look like a Dorito with chicken legs does not equal the scheming character that many people love.

And bots that looked like shredded metal bits is not visually appealing, and having Decepticons having semi-normal faces like the Bots would be good too.

9. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

Well I know who else to add to my ignore list.
    :) 

10. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

Guys, they could've looked like hybrids of Steve Buscemi and Richard Simmons. As long as the audience had close-ups of Megan Fox and Rosie's asses and baysplosions, they would not have cared.

11. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Just to clarify, I'm ok with "smooth" faces in cartoons and comics.

Faces like this, I'm ok with:
    http://cdn.tfw2005.com/transformers..._rid_covers_by_noprips-d4df6l6_1319397252.jpg

It's when they start looking overly human, like this, that it starts to bug me:
    http://cdn.tfw2005.com/transformers...alex_cover_by_dyemooch-d4df5lq_1319397252.jpg

If we were to go to a more "G1" aesthetic in the films, I'd want the former example over the later.
    But I'd still want it to be more soild metal sectioned at the features, rather then somekind of flexing rubber face. I just don't think that'd look quite right on a realisticly designed TF.

12. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed ALL the different style incarnations of my fave TF's since the beginning. The aesthetic they settled on in the movies works for the movies to make them look like actual alien creatures instead of possible human creations. And the styles and aesthetics they used in the cartoons and comics suit those mediums as well.

The movies were made for the fans AND general movie goes so a style had to be chosen that would hopefully keep most people from both fandom and new comers happy and by the fact the movies were incredibly successful it worked.

Some people like the movie look others don't simple as that. No matter what you can't make EVERYONE 100% happy all the time.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. G1 was the past and 80's cartoon standards so I would not be looking for something exactly like the G1 faces.

On the other hand the alien faces really didn't work for me because it's like attempting to figure out what a bug is thinking or feeling. Unless the bug is done by Pixar then I've got no clue about the expression on a bugs face.

Since someone pointed it out rigid metal plates that move around kind of doesn't seem totally logical. The robots can't be 100% metal because when someone sits in Bumblebee's seats it gives way and feels like a padded seat not a metal chair. So if they have components that flex and move like soft materials why totally metal faces?

The going wild on faces seems a bit illogical as well. For the sake of argument lets say that all Transformers weren't the same species but only the same genus. Not a lot of crazy difference like number of fingers or number of arms between Homo habilis and Homo sapiens. Even if you push it back to the same order you still don't see things like a random number of eyes or scales instead of hair among the primates. If the Transformers are living creatures instead of purpose built machines then there should be some form of uniformity.

14. Amaya

Amaya Well-Known Member

I think Ultra Magnus looks so ugly in that picture, omg. o_o But yeah, TFP face designs don't bother me but maybe that's 'cause they don't have noses so it's not too human. But they still blink and close their eyes organically. That's kind of an lolwut for me. I don't see the movie bots doing that.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This, particularly the bolded part, is the funniest, yet truest thing I've read all day. :lolol 

16. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

i perfer the alien faces. the look grew on me and they fit the movies better.

17. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Smooth +1

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

when it comes to actual "design"; humanoid over alien, I like variety.

The transformers are robots. So they don't have to look alike as a species. Like Shockwave, who has the eyeball head thing going on. Or Lugnut,(From TFA) who actually has 5 eyes, and a long angularly shaped head.

Though I would say that, sure, back it off a bit on the movie Decepticons. They don't all have to look like crazy monsters.

19. XxsnipersnakexX

XxsnipersnakexX the G1 prick

alien faces look like insects.

pixelated and isometric faces are always the best

20. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Brawl and Barricade didn't have four, the light from their optics simply emitted through openings below their eyes. I'm pretty sure of that, I may be wrong though.