Smooth faces or "Rubix Cube" faces?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Feb 19, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Would you have preferred more the more expressive faces used since G1 or are you fine with the more "alien" articulated faces?

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    The alien faces were the only way to go really.

3. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't like the alien faces at all. Some are better than others, granted, but overall I prefer the G1 look.

The alien faces, in most cases, are hard to relate to, character/audience wise, I mean.

4. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

For a live-action movie, I pick articulated. The only way I can see how to do smooth faces would be to say that their faces are composed of liquid metal. Which I can't see looking good.

5. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I would like a hybrid of the expressiveness of G1 but still having a bit of an "alien" feel to it.

So both are good ideas!

6. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

You mean like the T-1000 from T2?

7. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Yeah pretty much. I think it would look cool though to be honest.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate how everyone dismisses flexible faces as unworkable, when kid shows like Beast Wars and Prime and modern comics have absolutely no problems with the concept. Being a robot doesn't mean you're completely metal, guys.

They could even use motion capture on some of the celebrity voice actors and use their faces on those robots.

9. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

Maybe because theyr'e, you know, cartoons?

10. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to ya, but she does have a point there. They're cartoons so they have more freedom.

11. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

The movie verse is not G1, hence a completely different appearance was needed. G1 may be okay for a cartoon, but it wouldn't make for a plausible marketing strategy for Hasbro.

I realize that there are alot of G1 fans out there, and that's perfectly fine, but G1 has no place in the movie verse, other than serving as a reference point for writers, artists, ext.
    The movie verse in it's own right is a re-imagining of the characters from the cartoon, but they are meant to target a broader spectrum of fans, particularly those who may not have been fans of the franchise before the films were released.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've never quite had an issue with the alien faces. I maintain that the articulated, multi-surfaced countenances of the Movie TFs CAN convey expression if properly crafted. Sentinel Prime, for instance, was able to put on some remarkably human expressions, especially during the moment of his death. If only they'd given Starscream more human-like features, too. But liquid metal is something I'd like to see being given a go.

13. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    I prefer the articulated "Rubix Cube" faces, but that doesn't exactly mean we can't have a compromise between liquid metal faces and alien faces. Sentinel, for instance, is a perfect example; his face exhibits many "Bayformer" qualities, yet there is no doubt that the expressions he makes are human-like in nature. However, I have no problem with Transformers being so bestial and alien face-wise and I actually would prefer more face designs like Starscream or the Dreads.

14. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

I think this is a good hybrid :
    [​IMG]

15. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

I completely agree. Or, the face could be composed of sleek elastic fabric on a frame to hold it's shape.

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    This.

Because you've seen how G1 faces would look in the movieverse and it didn't work. Oh wait you didn't? So you saw the G1 movie interpretations and it didn't work.... oh wait you didn't?

So how would you know it wouldn't work? Oh, you're speculating. I got ya. :rolleyes: 

I agree, that's exactly the type of mix that should have been used. Actually, I didn't have a problem with most Autobot faces, it's just that th Decepticons all look like beasts and I HATE that. They aren't born Autobots and Decepticons, and I hate when movies do things like that to make the villains look different 'SOLELY' so you know they're the bad guys. Especially guys like Megatron and Starscream who's smirk and snarls are large parts of their character.

17. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

Well, they can replicate Earth materials, such as metal, glass, plastic, rubber, etc. Why not have their faces be some kind of flexible metal.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So what? It still worked. If it can work with a cartoon's budget, it can work with a movie's budget.

"The Iron Man movieverse is not 616, so Tony Stark needs to be a blonde, shaven man with a purple and green mechanical suit."

"The Spider-Man movieverse isn't 616, so Spider-Man needs eight legs and to shoot webbing out his ass. 'Cause it's, you know, 'more realistic' ".

If it isn't broken...

The Transformers (Marvel comic) - Transformers Wiki

What wouldn't? The same facial design aesthetic they've used for 28 years?

Don't make this a "Can't be G1 just because" argument. This is a "Movie vs the rest of the brand" discussion.

It's amazing how people have let themselves believe everything non-movie is crap and Bay did everything perfect...

Bleh. The helmet is good, but that face is only marginally better than the Bayformers look.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The "Rubix cude" faces are far more expressive that the smooth faces, and look way cooler. They look like robot faces and not silver people with funny hats.

Yep, I so would not mind seeing that on a big screen.

20. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    Oo, that's nice.