Minor/Repaint: Skywarp from a Thundercracker WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dadicus Prime, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Dadicus Prime

Dadicus Prime Well Known Dad

noname (2).jpg noname (3).jpg First custom post.

As the title says. Obviously I'm not the person who originated this idea.

All of the paints are spray paints that I had in the garage. I washed the figure in soapy water and allowed to dry. I took the limbs apart. Used rubbing alcohol for any oils from my skin and sprayed light coats. The torso I used a fine brush. I made a little puddle on a piece of wood with the spray paint and just dipped the brush.

I still need to do the purple accents on the wings. Maybe I will distress him but I am not sure. I'd like to get some water slides for the faction symbol. Anyone know a good source?

I liked the more G1 purple shoulder and guns approach. Guns not shown. I will be sanding the handles of the guns and then painting the handles again so I have less rub. If I take enough plastic off it should work.

I also have some battlemasters I'll be painting to go along with him.

Waiting to transform him until the paint is super cured. The only reason I put him together is because I was worried the kids would get into the parts tray and lose something. noname.jpg noname (1).jpg noname.jpg noname (1).jpg

Update

It was a little tight with transformation so I was careful not to force anything. Added the purple highlights with a brush. I have some black touch ups to do. Initially I was hoping to reposition the wings and hit it with spray paint again. You can see I have some orange peel starting on one wing where so I am just going to use a brush.

I ran out of silver so you can see its a little thin on one side. I've decided to highlight panels, dry brush/ weather in order to tone down parts that stick out.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I will keep updating.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Dadicus Prime

Forgot to mention. Swapped face with a Starscream.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Dadicus Prime

noname (2).jpg noname (3).jpg
    Update above. Still figuring this out! Lol.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Nicely done. He purty.

5. Dadicus Prime

Thanks!

6. Dadicus Prime

Update: I'm calling it done for now.

I had some unexpected free time today and decided to paint. I did not expect to finish today. Is it perfect? No but I learned so much and am happy.

What I accomplished with this update.
    Purple on the shins.
    Dry brushing silver.
    Touching up where the blue still showed through.
    Touched up the silver nose cone. (I was able to get more spray paint out of the can.)
    Did a wash on the unpainted grey on the chest/midsection/hips. Because I was using spray paint with a brush I accidentally made a wash when I was cleaning my brush with mineral spirits. The paint was thinned out and I could wipe it away.
    Gold accents from an enamel marker applied with a toothpick.

What I failed at.
    I tried to make a silver wash for the black paneling but only succeeded in messing the gloss up on the black paint. I think it just smeared into the black paint which was not as durable as the silver and purple paint. That might explain why it worked in reverse when the black paint was the wash on those colors.
    Paint rub... just couldn't avoid it. The black paint pops off by the wing joints. I covered that blue with a sharpie.
    I got a bunch of fuzz from the cloth on him when wiping the wash.
    Dry brushing with spray paint and a brush is not advised. It dries too fast to work with well. It clumps up or you rush ans apply too much. It was not fun

Letting him dry/cure before I transform him again. The paint almost glued the arms and wings together last time. noname (4).jpg noname (5).jpg noname (6).jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. The Fallen

The Fallen Well-Known Member

This turned out great. The subtlety of the drybrushing really adds to the overall look, as does the little gold marks. Nice work on this!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dadicus Prime

Thank you! I really like the siege line except for the "paint splashing". It was nice to be able to tone that down a bit with this project.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dadicus Prime

noname (8).jpg noname (7).jpg After some cure time I finally felt like I could transform him. Any paint I missed or was rubbed off was minimal and mostly the wing joints. Just touched them up with a Sharpie. Hopefully it's thin enough to not rub off like the paint did.

The battle masters were made out of Firedrive, Aimless and pteraxadon (one of the kids broke the crest off his so I gave him the one I ordered for the project.

Firedrive basically got his limbs/gun painted silver and his faction symbol sharpied.
    Aimless had his body painted purple and I mineral spirited off the face and lower chest to get the blue back.
    Pteraxadon was totally painted with silver and purple except for the blue metallic on the wings which was original. It should be black on the panels but I like this way better.

Might do a wash on them to bring out the panel lines and paint Pteraxadon' s eyes. Just won't have the time until late next week.

• Like Like x 2