Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I have been convinced - tomorrow, I am buying this game and some extras.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Today I beat Hektore in the 3DS game. And it was easy. I ran through him with a Level 10 Ignitor, beating through the minions, and then ran to the exit with Stealth Elf (level 9). And that's with no grinding at all. All I did was run through the easy levels to pick up some extra crystals to unlock the end level, and my Ignitor was already at level 10 by the fifth seeker.

I checked the game clock afterwards, including playing through many other levels after beating Hektore, and it read 4:28:22 (iirc). I bought it last night, and played about an hour and a half then. Finished it this afternoon. So, in other words, your $88 will keep our kid entertained for less than 2 days. That's about $20 an hour. Also, the quests after the main story need the elements, so in other words the main game is all you can play with the Starter Pack. Everything else requires extra Skylanders. Kinda annoying, really, since my Stealth Elf can't get her Scroll without an Earth figure, otherwise she's been levelled up to Level 10 in four hours, no grinding. Really wanted to finish upgrading her... :( 

[/disappointment]

3. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That is part of the game. I'm just going to make sure I've got one of each element at least so I can unlock everything.

If there is a way, grab the console version (you can even wait until after the holidays so things might go on sale) because everyone over at the Penny Arcade forums say playing the 3DS and console/computer versions together really lets you get the most bang for your buck. I think I'm going to get the 3DS version as well as a companion to my Wii version.

Also, remember the there is also the Skylander's Universe Beta here: Skylanders Spyro. You can't do much right now other then signup, upload your characters, find other friends online, and do a few quests, but more is supposed to be coming. If you don't have the game yet (like me, who's wife is making him wait until Christmas) they'll give you the three first starter Skylanders from the Console set to play with.

4. Treadshot A1

I'm starting to think Skylanders will be one of those games where you need a bunch of friend playing it, and each of you buys one character, say I buy Zap, another friend buys Hex, and so on, until between you you have all the elements. Cheaper (well, for me, anyways, as I don't have to buy so many figures), and you can get everything.

Also, I'd like to add that Skylanders has ZERO replayabilty. I was thinking to give the game to my friend, to play on the second save file (there's three slots, might as well use them), but then I realised that by loading in my Stealth Elf into the second file, my friend would start the game with a Level 10 Stealth Elf, and same goes for Ignitor. I'd have to actually BUY the characters AGAIN to allow my friend to play through the second save. It's like starting another save in Pokemon, and then trading in level 100 pokemon from the get-go. Really defeats the replayabilty of the game as its just hilariously easy.

Also, there are 125 crystals, and I'm on 81, maybe more, I forget. I do know the are only three more Crystals that I can get, with only the Starter trio of the 3DS version. That means that, assuming I hit ~85 when I get those 3 crystals, that there are ~40 crystals which require me to buy more figures. That's annoying. It's great marketing, and great for the game company, but it's really annoying for me.

5. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Actually, you can reset the Skylanders to level 1 again. As for the save thing don't forget that the point of the figures is that you can take them with you and play with friends.

6. Treadshot A1

But I don't want to reset my figures. I want to have level 10 figures in my save, and level 1 figures for a friend to start with. I'm fully aware that the gimmick is your figures are saved each time, but it has it's drawbacks. I guess what I'm trying to say is that one can't let the hype and marketing make them think "oh yeah, it's part of the gimmick that the figures are saved" and use that and an excuse. A lack of the ability to start another save without resetting one's figures (and thus losing all that hard work) is a flaw, regardless whether it's forced by the gimmick or not.

And also, how do you reset the figures?

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    There is an option to do so in the character option menu. I've gotten into it from hitting start on the home island.

8. Treadshot A1

No such command exists for me. I guess that must be another thing they conveniently left out in the 3DS version.

9. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Have you tried to, I dunno... read the instruction booklet? There's gotta be the same function for the 3DS version.

10. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I must concur on this point.

Who is the prefered fire type: Ignitor or Eruptor? I need a fire type guy but am considering holding out until Ignitor is released in a single pack.

11. Treadshot A1

I read the instruction booklet (excluding the warranty/safety/etc. stuff because that's what all kids do) 3 times before starting the game, then 2 times after rescuing the first Seeker, and then one more time after Rivenrock.

So yes, I did read it. And no such ability exists in the 3DS version, I've checked the book 6 times thoroughly, and also in game (I've also beaten every crystal mission i can with only the the starter Skylanders, 85/125 crystals total, and so far no such ability to be found). Damn sure, chances I missed something are very very low.

@Gen. Magnus: definitely Ignitor for me. Especially if you can get his Speed Scroll, though he doesn't need it. He hits like a truck (having an Attack stat of 100), and literally only takes 6 hits to defeat a Yeti, and four to kill a skeleton archer guy (Stealth Elf takes 6 to kill an Archer).

I steamrolled through the game with only Ignitor and Stealth Elf, as her speed is the perfect compliment to his power. You can smash through Hektore/Kaos' goons with Ignitor then run to the finish and leap past tipplers with Stealth Elf (plus her projectile attack is very potent).

I suppose the only reason to choose Ignitor over Eruptor, though is simply because he was available to me in the starter set. Trust me, the actual Skylander means nothing in this game, at least not in the 3DS version. Only it's element counts. Otherwise, you have speedy characters, powerful characters and balanced characters. Ignitor and Eruptor would be powerful, so really if you're getting a console version, it makes little difference. I certainly think Ignitor has a huge amount of power behind him (having the maximum attack stat), but a small power drop, if any, isn't going to hurt you that much.

12. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    i found where the menu is on the PS3. It is in the select, collections section under characters.

I appreciate the input on Ignitor, Eruptor, et al. Given the max stat, I think I may wait to get him single packed.

13. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I might wait a few weeks or till after the Holiday to pick up the starter pack; but I might start picking up the 3 pack figures now, if i can fand Whirlwind first.

Oh I looked at Target.com and noticed They have a Skylander exclusive single figure named Whirlwind listed but unavailable, I doubt she'll only appear as a single release, but maybe in a 3 pack wide release; but anyway was she already released, and sold out or is she not released yet?

Edit; also noticed TRU has a exclusive Legendary colored set.

14. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should probably check your Targets now for Whirlwind, since it seems to be a figure that will unlikely come back; unless the mold gets repainted down the line.

15. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I just got back from Target with her. Noticed a packaging error that names her as Zap on the bubble (100% sure it is Whirlwind in the package with card). I have mixed ideas if I should open her now or wait a few weeks till I get the game, or if I decide not to pick up the game at lest I could sell this rare Target exclusive Mint.

Out of the Wind types Whirlwind and Sonic Boom Look the best on design in my opinion.

I'll probably go the cheap rout and get one of each type. and skip the level packs seriously $20 for one level, one charater, two items.

16. Treadshot A1

Just want to say, that I beat the 3DS game a second time. I wanted to see, what was the fastest you could possibly beat this game in, if you were an amateur (read:can't beat 90% of the games he owns) gamer like me. A little background info about me: I have the gaming skills of a 10 year old at best. I needed a guidebook to get through Wii's Super Mario, and instructions to play mini games in Mario Party. So yeah, if I can do it, then most kids could do it better.

For the purposes of this run, I started with this:

Goal: beat Hektore at Dark Mirror (I.e. finish the main quest and save the Radiant Isles)

Starting Sklyanders: Dark Spyro (lv. 5), Stealth Elf (lv. 10)

Playing limitations: use Dark Spyro whenever possible, only use Elf when absolutely necessary (such as running through the last bit of Dark Mirror)

Skylander limitations: no changing Skylanders (so only those two).

I started with Dark Spyro, and easily beat through the first two worlds, rescuing seekers along the way. Got to level 6, went and saved more seekers, etc. managed to get to level 10 by the end of the 4th world/start of the 5th. Beat Hektore.

All of that, in 2:08:11. Bearing in mind, I've never beat a single platformer from start to finish without a guide book/Internet walkthrough (DS New Super Mario Bros. needed help on a few levels, that's the closest I've ever gotten), that's a really ridiculous time. I didn't deliberately remember any levels, nor any notes, nothing. I just ran through the game, and got the bare minimum number of crystals to unlock the last level (50), and there you go.

Obviously, the catch is that I started at level 5, but considering that you can get to level 5 by the second world quite easily, that's not much of a catch.

Since I managed to beat it in the course of one afternoon, in 2 hours of play time, I've cided to change my score. Originally I gave it 6/10, for at least being enjoyable. I'm gonna say 4/10 now, for having very, very, very little content, at a level so easy I could beat it, twice even, without breaking a sweat. And that's from a guy who admittedly has never survived a single day in Pikmin.

17. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I haven't gone through a lot of this topic, but from what I can tell, this game is pretty short, with a lot of the content being the different figures you buy for new characters?

My co-worker just started raving about this game. Well, not raving as much as complaining that his kids love the game so much that he never gets to play it :p 

I know if I start playing this game, I will buy EVERYTHING. So I kinda don't want to >.>

18. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The 3DS game is pretty short, and lacking on content. They have been marketing the game on it's own, but as you can see from Treadshot's experience, it's obvious it's just a companion game to the console ones. The Wii/PS3/360 version has 24 full levels (once all the Adventure Packs are out), so if you take the time to get everything I'd say the game is 15 to 20 hours long. And yes, a lot of it is doing multiple runs with different characters to get them to level 10, but on the consoles you can do that with Co-Op which is really nice.

And technically, you don't have to buy every single figure, just one of each element to unlock everything.

If you want the best experience, get it on a console. If you can afford it, to get the "complete experience", get a console version, the 3DS version, one character of each element, and sign up at Skylanders Spyro.

19. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, even though I probably won't get the game itself for a while, I'm thinking of getting one of these guys. I'm leaning towards either Drobot or Ignitor. Anyone know if Ignitor has been released outside of the 3DS starter pack?

20. Treadshot A1

I have to chime in here and say that my previous thoughts on Ignitor were slightly overhyped.

He's not that great. Sure, max attack power is damaging, but it's like using a Hydro Pump vs Surf. It's a small power drop, but you won't miss too many KO's because of it.

My new favourite combination is Dark Spyro and Stealth Elf. D. Spyro is great if only because you can spam his attacks. Not in the way you spam Elf's X attack or Ignitor's Y attack, where you just frantically mash the button, but you can actually use dark Spyro as a trap. His X attack (aerial) in the 3DS version shoots straight down beneath him, dealing significant damage (his power's 90 compared to Ignitor's 100, iirc), but best of all it leaves a field where it hit, and all enemies take damage from just walking in it. It also never disappears, so since the enemies are obviously coming from the same few spawning points, you can just leave a field there and every one of your enemies gets weakened. It's like Stealth Rock. And if you use the X attack (aerial) again, you can reposition the field to wherever you use that attack the second time (you can only have one field at a time). But you can attack with his primary attack as many times as you want while the field is up. And the field OHKO's all of the smallest enemies (Chompies in Whitefall, the spider things, etc.), which are actually the ones that rack up the most damage. He may have a steep learning curve, only coming into his own at level 5 or so, but once you get there, he's a blast to use. I chucked out Ignitor for him, he's just so awesome.

Ignitor has yet to be released in a single pack, and I'd say it's not really necessary to get him. Get Eruptor for your fire type needs, and Ignitor is really only good as a powerhouse (and even then, Dark Spyro racks up 20 damage on a Tree-Rex per X attack, while Ignitor racks up 22, so it's not much of a drop at all, especially factoring in the field does 6 damage for every second the enemy is stuck in there, iirc.). I'm not really sure what Eruptor's good for aside from looking like a Darmanitan, but it's not worth waiting for Ignitor.

Anyone know if Spyro has Dark Spyro's capabilities? The field is great, Energy Conduit is the best ability ever for its ease of use (you have to use D.Spyro's breath attack, and then run through it to activate Energy Conduit, which is unwieldy and temporary, however what the game doesn't tell you is that it also activates when you run through the field that is left behind by D.Spyro's X attack (aerial), which makes it ridiculously easy to activate, and since you'll be running through the field constantly, it almost never has the time to wear off), and he's good a great amount of power behind him.