Skylanders GIANTS: As if I needed to spend more money on these characters...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

My Skylanders Giants haul
    [​IMG]

2. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up the Wal Mart Hot Dog for my daughter, and it'll probably be our last Skylanders purchase. She just isn't into it anymore. Having to re-buy the same characters kind of turned her off to it, and I'm not enjoying the price increases. With the new gimmick, I imagine prices will go even higher. No thanks.
    What sealed the coffin on the game in my house is when she asked me what we could sell her collection for. She's only 10.
    She's all over Portal 2 now because it requires thinking and reasoning.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I think I reached that point a while ago as well. The prices are high, the characters aren't worth anywhere near their cost for what they unlock in game and the game is short, too short to use all of the characters in a meaningful way. This isn't like Pokemon where of course you can't make a storyline long enough to use 649 different characters. Skylanders has at max 100 and that's including the variants. We're only talking 48 unique characters across SSA and Giants. We don't even get 48 levels across both games! Including Adventure packs! :mad 

Does that mean I'm out? No, but it does mean I will only stay on for Swap Force's Starter Pack. That's a reasonable price, since it's about 2/3 of the content of a game for a game's price, but with figures to make up the difference. But individual characters? Nah, it'd have to be a ridiculously good character (like, cool looking and completely broken in game) to make me buy another single pack.

At least, that's the plan. And this time, I plan on sticking to it...I hope.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I like the voice of Joe Swanson being used for Flynn. I bet Activision put him there because the older kids would like him.

5. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Been sitting all week "training" my Skylanders. In other words I've been attempting to do all of the Heroic challenges with each one I have.

The main issue I've had is that so far with most I've only done the speed challenges and doing the rest can be a bit of a pain.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

With Pokemon, you catch wild Pokemon and level them up to win Gym matches. If you see a Pokemon later in the game you want on your team, you drop your weakest Pokemon for it. There's always ways around it like gamesharks and rare candies.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Non-sequitur alert?

The point I was trying to make was that with Pokemon, it was only to be expected that one could not use all the characters. No game could possibly be long enough to use 649 characters in the main story.

With Skylanders, the expectation to use all the characters is a lot more reasonable, as there are only 48 unique Skylanders. Between TWO games, including extra levels you purchase as Adventure Packs, you still don't have 48 levels (comes out to 42, iirc).

For me, that's unreasonable, especially considering the price of each character. The elemental zones just feel like cheap ways to force you to buy cahracters, instead of having proper levels for each character. Even the areas in the Heroic Challenges are repeated (Delivery Day and The Sky Is Falling both use the same map, for instance).

So yeah, you missed my point entirely :) 

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I notice Drobot sounds a lot like G1 Soundwave

9. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nice! I still need Eye-Brawl and Fright Rider. I should have picked up FR when he was around at game launch because I haven't seen him since.

10. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I think I'm officially done with Giants figures. This week I picked up Legendary Chill, Series 2 Spyro, Swarm, Molten Hot Dog and Jade Flashwing. That should hold me over with heroic challenges and leveling up until the new game. I'll probably want to stop playing for a while too so I don't get sick of it when the new game hits.

11. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm getting to that point too, figure I'll get Fright Rider and finish out the Giant figures, then hold off until Swap Force.

12. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Be on the lookout for Ninjini at Walmart. Found two today.

13. Dachande

News Credits:
    Hm. May have to look for that. It's one of the last ones my daughter wants.
    We've decided to only get the ones she either really likes, or store exclusives from now on. So, we picked up a Jade Flashwing and a Molten Hot Dog a few days ago, and just found the single for Spyro last night. Gotta say, that is one fine looking dragon. He's rather large compared to his previous incarnation.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I can't find Ninjini anywhere. I haven't seen her anywhere besides the flea market.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

A friend of mine that works at Best Buy said her store has started getting her in as we'll.

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    GameStop told me that they had her in stock when I got crusher. Still skipped because I'm not a completionist.

17. Dachande

News Credits:
    Picked up a Legendary Lightcore Chill from TrU yesterday. Very nice figure, overall. I think we have all the Legendaries now (gads I hope so).

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm very selective this time around on my characters. Last week, I picked up Thumpback. I did a few heroic challenges to build up speed and he is now rocking. Still on the lookout for Ninjini.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I finally got Ninjini. With the exception of Happy Meal toys, I think thats it for me on Skylanders Giant figures, unless Activision releases Scarlet Ninjini in the US.

20. Dachande

News Credits:
    Found Ninjini at Walmart. Man, the light up feature on this one is beautiful.
    Also stumbled on a silvery glitter Sprocket. No exclusive sticker, so maybe it's a chase figure. Either way, it shows as a normal Sprocket in-game. I did tell my daughter to keep the figure sealed, and I'm glad she listened. Damn thing's pulling good coin on eBay.