Skylanders GIANTS: As if I needed to spend more money on these characters...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    As a SHMUP player (regardless of how horrible I might be) I loved what the Chompee Mage fight brought to the game.

2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

That boss was awesome, that level creepy...

3. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Anyone have Pop Fizz? I really want to get him, but I think I found a picture somewhere of him in his berzerker mode which I'd much rather prefer.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I loved the mechanics for the Chompy Mage battle. As a fan of Ikaruga, any reference to colour-based bullets,mespecially red and blue switchable ones are absolutely awesome to me. I'm somewhat disappointed that you don't get to keep Seraphina's device though, as the
    last boss fight has those disks, but you can't freely switch them

Also, I bought Pop Fizz in a triple pack with S2 Whirlwind and S2 Trigger Happy, and I can honestly say if I hadn't gotten Whirlwind from it it would have been a waste. Pop Fizz falls into that category of "so mediocre it's bad". Honestly, his Mad Scientist path is the only thing I would've chosen, as the Best of the Beast path is just a stupid choice. Best of the Beast gives you a Melee attacker with no dash move. That means you close in, and you try to damage while most characters will out damage and beat the crap out of you (use Joust Jockey Fright Rider instead, as his combos are better for range and he has a great dash move). Mad Scientist...well, the potion minions getting a boost are nice, but Mixologist leaves a bit to be desired. It says mix for different effects, but all it really does is if you throw either yellow or purple into the acid left behind by green, a vertical jet of fire erupts, followed by some damaging purple smoke. The acid pool gets destroyed by this. It's a useless attack, and you're better off just throwing out your three potion minions on purple, before spamming green or yellow (acid or more damage, respectively).

Also, triggering Beast mode takes a few seconds, and that is ages in a battle. He's no interruptible, so no matter what he'll change into Beast Mode, but he is completely vulnerable to all attacks during it. So it means you are sacrificing a lot of HP to transition into that mode, and the time is takes to transition out of Beast Mode is just as long. At least on Mad Scientist, his Beast Mode timer is so short it is a complete waste, while even Best of the Beast with its slower beast mode meter won't offer much better.

Unfortunately, even Mad Scientist Pop Fizz is outclassed by so many. For field Defense with his acid pools, Zook on Floral Defender easily outshines him, as does Sprocket on Operator. For lobbing attacks (yes, Pop Fizz lobs potions, he doesn't ditch them directly at enemies), Soul of the Flame Ignitor's Flame Form Mortar attack does more damage with a better field Defense in his WowPow Blue Flame, while even Tempest Dragon Whirlwind (the path that powers up her tempest clouds) can use her new Cloudbursting WowPow to automatically lob rainbows from the clouds. For Melee, well you're better off going for Slam Bam on Blizzard Brawler or Terrafin on Brawler (though Sandhog is usually preferred for its inherent safety).

So yeah, Pop Fizz is a waste. Get S2 Whirlwind, as her new WowPow makes a huge difference, and that goes for Terrafin and Ignitor and Hex and....yeah, most WowPows are good.

5. Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man Well-Known Member

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just got back from Toys R Us.
    They have buy one Giants figure get one 50% off today and tomorrow only.

7. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Giants Starter Packs are on sale at Toys R Us for $50 bucks online (now) and at stores starting at 8pm. For those that haven't gotten it yet.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I finally bit on this. Amazon had the Giants starter kit for just over $30 in a lightning deal. Grabbed a Drobot and a Drill Sergeant on the way home.
    Might go by Target this weekend and see if I can find granite crusher.

9. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Braved TRU this morning for a L. Stealth Elf, which they had more than enough sitting in the bin. (hopefully they don't clog like the Trigger Happy's did)
    Think I'm good now, until the rest of the actual Giants hit shelves. And Jade Flashwing

10. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Sucks cannot for the life of me find the 3 pack with Prism Break, Boomer and Voodood or the single pack of Wham-shell. Those are the last ones my son needs for series one...Even managed to score the glow Sonic Boom and Legendary Elf for him last night. But alas, those damned last couple of figures from the first are going to be the death of me.

If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it. I dig playing it with him and well, if I could meet this goal for Christmas it would freaking rock.

EDIT: Apparently my wife got a second Glow Sonic Boom so if this could be something you want to trade for...

11. Dirge121

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well Damn, I don't even have the game yet and I'm up to 8 figures. When my copy arrives I'll be up to 11 and when Target restocks it'll be 12.

I have a problem.

Then of course thumpback and eyebrawl will be out later and I'll end up getting those. Help. I've gone to far down the rabbit hole and I fear I may never return.

12. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I saw a bunch of the glow in the dark Sonic Booms at my walmart today. Does anyone know if she appears differently in the game?

13. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They're the same as the series 2.

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Probably worth picking up if you like variants, as GITD Sonic Boom is an exclusive to Walmart in the States (and not available outside the states currently).

It shows up as regular Sonic Boom in game, counting as a Series 2 figure (so can switch paths, has the Wow Pow).

Also, yay tomorrow will be the 29th! Which means Australia finally gets Wave 2! Definitely hunting down Sprocket and Flashwing and S2 Hex. I might get Drill Sergeant and Flameslinger, don't know.

15. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Had a look at the local GameStops Skylander products..
    And will you look at that.. they actually had a Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack chilling in the back.
    Freaking score, for retail price!

16. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Picked up Gill Grunt and Bash.

Bash is so much fun.

I may pick up another few new figures, I considered Sprocket.

17. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My son and I are getting this for christmas. I can't wait.

18. Dirge121

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I picked up Wham Shell and Voodood from TRUs buy 1 get 1 75% off sale. I didn't even want Voodood but I needed a magic guy and he was the only one they had that wasnt Double Trouble. Doesn't help that IMO the Magic guys are easily the least appealing designs.

When are the new Giants hitting? I really want to grab Thumpback and Eyebrawl, and I'll probably end up getting Scarlet Ninjini too just for a half decent magic character.

Might as well get Swarm too at that rate for completionism.

19. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Wave 3 should be out on the 23rd.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    Apparently Hot Dog is part of a timed exclusive 3 pack at Gamestop.

All I'll need then is those last 3 Giants...my son is getting the few series 1 he didn't have, Giants, and all the new characters for Christmas.