Skylanders GIANTS: As if I needed to spend more money on these characters...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I thought a Series 2 Spyro was in the later waves? I've seen images of an Orange based one.

2. Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man Well-Known Member

Yeah they're releasing a S2 Spyro down the pike. Voodood and Dark Spyro were the only magic-element Skylanders not to receive a S2 counterpart.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Oh, okay. Either way, the point still stands: Spyro sucks down either path and he's not worth tracking down. Especially when cool Magic element characters like Pop Fizz and Ninjini are around. Hell, even Double Trouble is cooler and stronger.

4. Fallout

Fallout content in the same old schtick again

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i keep wanting to get into this game but man... all my money would be gone immediately. how much physical product is there out so far?

5. Treadshot A1

I don't think counting the product now is practical. There are the skylanders themselves, the games, the different packs and Arceus knows what else.

However, there are 99 Skylanders not including the rare variants (rock, Glow in the Dark, crystal, etc.).

37 are from SSA, 62 from Giants. This doesn't include the Gnarly Tree Rex variant in the (PS3/Blue Wii) Giants bundle.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the information.
    I'll be on the lookout for that new Spyro down the line, but I'll definitely pass on Spyro's Adventure because I was looking at that just to get Spyro.

I'll get the Giants starter pack for my daughter, and a three pack for my son.
    The figures look great, but I do wish they had some type of articulation.
    Regardless, I see good times ahead.

7. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I've been bumping into some of the wave 2 stuff lately! Got super lucky today and found the only Hot Head at my local Target. Played as him in the game today and got him up to level 8. Picked up series 2 Hex now I just need Eye-Brawl and Ghost Roaster to have all the Undead Skylanders (personally the only element I want to be a completest with, Fright Rider is so much fun). I've seen LightCore Jet-Vac but I got the regular Jet-Vac with the game so I don't need him. I'm pretty much done for right now until the Giants sidekicks are announced and Eye-Brawl comes out. Ghost Roaster I can find in any store.

It's not easy to beat this game though. The time frame alone for most levels is extremely difficult. I'm just leveling up and upgrading my guys right now through Heroic Challenges and Battles both in the arena and by backtracking through levels. Still though hours fly by when I do it.

8. Treadshot A1

Dupree, get Hex's WowPow. It's the Skull Buddy thing.

Then, use it, preferably without charms or other boosts, so in a PvP match is most preferable but whatever.

Then, be in awe of the 280 damage per hit, large area-of-effect attack you are now unleashing.

Lastly, laugh maniacally.

In other words, can you confirm it is 280? I have heard it is, but due to Skylanders being rather well known for inconsistencies across platforms, more testing = better.

Also, it's often said the maximum number of hits per use is 11, 12 is a rarity. Can you test what the likely number is, though? As in, out of 11, how many will likely hit?

9. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I'm not even kidding, give me tonight and I will have an answer for you hahaha. I've been working on Hot Head and Cynder the last day and I'm off tomorrow so I'll be working on Hex. I still cannot beat some of the battle arenas. Those are tricky.

10. Treadshot A1

I've beaten all 21. I used Ice Lancer Chill, and she's definitely an A-Tier character for me. Wiped the floor with most of the arenas. Only had to change to Bird Blaster Jet-Vac for 2 of them, but I've since beaten those with Chill as well.

The charms you get are really nice. I do think that the last arena of each one can be a bit annoying, but that's the nature of 1HP battles; the slightest bit of bad luck or the slightest misplay and you're dead.

I just wish there was an endless Arena mode, and you could get higher and higher scores by defeating wave after wave. That would be cool. They could have even brought back the Hydra (especially the shark spell) to save on development time. Add to that, the shark spell can be healing, and it'd have been so awesome!

11. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Well, that didn't take long! LOL.

I upgraded her to her WowPow and it is a darn cool power to have. The only pesky thing is that she takes a second to charge it up, but it lasts for a few seconds once it starts attacking which is nice. I used it in a few levels (Molekin Mountain to be exact) and it hit from 200-300. I don't know why it would hit 200 sometimes and 300 others but it did a number on those creatures that spit out the slime that slows you down. It is a tremendous power to have, but I have yet to test it in arena battles.

Hot Head is now officially my strongest skylander. He's level 11 going on 12 real soon and has all of his upgrades. I opted to go with the upgrades that would increase his fire blasting and oil bomb attacks. The motorcycle soul gem power is so much fun, but the continuous fire blast has been my most useful. I'm just working on some other guys now, but really I feel like aside from upgrading, there isn't much to do. I'm basically waiting for Eye-Brawl to come out, pick up Ghost Roaster and try the game from the beginning striving to get 100%. Still though, I'm making more progress with the arena battles so I'm a happy camper. This game is so addicting I can't wait for the sequel!

12. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So, when is Ninjini supposed to start showing up and/or, whose going to be the store carrying Scarlet Ninjini?

Also: Despite not playing either game until, ... last Wednesday, I have a Series 1 Stealth Elf, would it be worth it to use her now, or wait for a Series 2/Legendary?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  13. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I think Ninjini will be out late this month/early December. There hasn't been info on how to get the scarlet version yet.

I'd hold out on Stealth Elf. The series 2 looks awesome with its Wow Pow.

14. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Same question on Stealth Elf for Dino-Rang. Is he even getting a Series 2?

15. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...that i'm not even sure of! I know for a fact that Voodood isn't getting a series two or lightcore treatment. I looked up Dino-Rang but wasn't able to find anything so I'm assuming as of right now he isn't. He could possibly get one when they make a sequel to Giants.

16. Treadshot A1

Honestly, I'm picking up Legendary Stealth Elf (TRU exclusive) as soon as she shows up, but only because she's my favourite character. She's not going to be that much better by the looks of it.

We have a description of her WowPow that goes something like "a 360 degree blade slash" or something like that. Most people think its going to be like her Third Attack combo on Pook Blade Saint, which was never that good. Which means she's not going to be back ruling S-Tier like she used to. Her series 1 figure was already demoted to A, and it doesn't look like her WowPow will make any difference.

As for Dino Rang, he's not getting a repose. Frankly, it doesn't seem like Earth could have lost anyone without it being sad, as all Earth Skylanders had their uses, Bash was solid down both paths (though with the WowPow, Granite becomes the better choice), Dino Rang on Grand Boomerang Master, Terrafin still romps around in S with Sandhog. But they had to keep Bash in for the sake of writing in Flashwing, so someone had to go.

Anyway, with the new WowPows, Dino Rang is still going to have a hard time. My guess would be back to A, since his advantage of being able to attack across the field with controllable projectiles is made useless by many new field Defense characters, like Series 2 Zook, Operator Sprocket, Ice Lancer Chill, etc.

So yeah, don't bother with Dino-Rang, since he's not that special anymore. Pook Blade Saint Stealth Elf may still be worth a shot for the sheer amount of damage, but a nerf to Arboreal Acrobatics combined with better attacks across the board make her only good, not having the awesome godly power she was credited with in SSA

17. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't gotten the new game for my daughter yet, but here's a question:
    Do you have to re-buy the characters for the new attributes to work with the new game, or does the game itself allow you to use the old figures.
    I ask because I spent so much money on the first series (she has them ALL, minus the metallic variants), and I seriously don't want to have to re-buy all the same characters. In fact, I won't.
    If that's the case, then this game may be the best marketing strategy of all time.

18. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    You can use all your old characters, they'll even level up a little more. However the extra experience earned won't go back to the original game.

Someone who has played both games, more than I have, will probably give a better answer.

19. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool. I was just hoping it wasn't a necessity to buy the characters again, and that the only 'necessary' purchases were of the new characters.

20. Treadshot A1

The new versions of the old characters are marked Series 2. They have WowPow abilities, one new one each. These abilities are often very useful, but also can be useless depending on the character.

For example, Hex's Skull Servant WowPow is a 280 damage, quick to charge, easy to use attack that can hit around 12 times with a large area of effect. She went from mediocre to broken instantly.

But Cynder's Lightning Rain WowPow makes her so much worse. Using the secondary attack during flight (normally reserved for her Shadow Dash) makes her call lightning, a small attack that leaves her dangerously unprotected. She also can't Shadow Dash during flight, as the WowPow assigns that button to Lightning Rain instead.

Series 2 have WowPow, Lightcores don't (see the chart at the top of the first page for what has what).

I would suggest researching the WowPows, and only buying the ones with WowPows you want.