Skylanders GIANTS: As if I needed to spend more money on these characters...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Much as I hate scalpers, I have to wonder if you didn't jump to conclusions. Rarely do Scalpers do it that...openly... Most of the stories I hear tell of scalpers either getting there early (when the shop hasn't got many customers in yet) or at least doing their job subtly. Grabbing 10 in front of you and parents and kids doesn't sound like a usual scalper...too obvious...

I would've thought he'd take 2, come back, take 2 more, y'know, subtly.

That said, glad you got the game. I'm limiting myself to only Chill, Terrafin and the Starter Pack, but I already got the Golden Dragonfire Cannon (EB Games exclusive in Australia, unlocks 3 arenas, one more than the 2 that the normal Dragonfire Cannon unlocks) for the sake of having Shroomboom and S2 Chop Chop (whose WowPow makes him decidedly more useful, I hear).

I think I'll probably end up breaking my limit again, as I need to pick up an S2 Hex for the WowPow I explained in my previous post. That, and Sprocket. Maybe Flashwing and Ninjini....maybe. Not too sure about those last two.

2. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I've got the Starter pack, Terrafin and Slam Bam. I wanted Jet-Vac and Cybder, so to have them in the starter pack was a bonus.

The other's I intend to get are Thumpback, Gill Grunt, Drobot, Prism Break (May get the Lightcore one), Spyro, Eruptor and Hot Dog. So not many for me to pick up, and a few duplicates of elements.

3. Treadshot A1

Much as Lightcore Prism Break has cool features, I would get the S2 Prism Break, because he has access to WowPow (sends a pulse down the beam for more damage) and the ability to switch paths, neither of which are available to the Lightcore version.

4. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I fancied getting at least one Lightcore figure, and Prism Break looked the best.

What is this thing about Switching Paths? I didn't play the first game,. and have heard mention of it.

5. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Wiat so the Lightcore figures and the non-lightcore figures don't have the same abilities? That seems odd to me...

6. Treadshot A1

EDIT: Helpful chart for those who want Giants. There has been a lot of confusion as to whether the LightCore figures have the WowPow abilities, whether Series 2 Figures will work with the old game, etc. So, here's a table from DarkSpyro. As far as I'm aware, it's accurate.

That is true. From DarkSpyro, a handy table:

[​IMG]

(from the DarkSpyro Main Giants Page, cropped)

What each column means:

WowPow: Abilities given to Series 2 characters. Extra attack/move. Ability depends on character. Notable WowPow abilities: Hex's Skull Servant (Buddy?), for dealing 280 damage per hit and Chop Chop's Shield Charge for making him viable for once.

Path Switch: All characters upgrade 4 times, before they must choose between two paths. Choose one, and you can't use the other. The paths each have 3 upgrades each. Characters who have Path Switch can freely change between paths as they please (though they still can only have one path active at any one time). Other characters must be reset to choose the opposite path.

Lightcore Blast: Does 100 damage to enemies in an area surrounding the figure, when the figure is placed on the portal.

Spyro's Adventure: Whether the figure works with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. Note: Series 2 figures, Series 2 Lightcore figures and their variants (e.g. Glow in the Dark Series 2 Cynder, known in the game as "Special Cynder") work in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, butthey appear as their Series 1 selves, with no extra abilities. So a Series 2 Cynder will work with SSA, but it will show up and behave like a regular SSA Cynder. Levels, coins and experience are properly retained, so a Series 2 Cynder gaining coins in SSA will have those coins upon its return to Giants.

Heroic Challenge: Whether the figure, when taken Ownership of in Giants, will unlock a Heroic Challenge. The Series 2 characters unlock the Heroic Challenges they would have in SSA, except for a few differences (e.g. Series 2 Chop Chop does NOT unlock Pod Maze, unlocking Dungeoness Creeps instead, which used to be Cynder's. Cynder now unlocks Zombie Dance Party instead). Series 1 figures do not unlock Heroic Challenges in Giants.

Attached Files:

7. Kung Fu Man

Kung Fu Man Well-Known Member

When I was in Toys R Us in NYC, there was a guy literally clearing out entire shelves into bags, setting them down, and grabbing more. He went after every exclusive item they had. I basically had to keep guard on the one thing my wife had wanted from there (and...kindly...inform him to stop following me around for it).

As fare as Skylanders go, I've got everything short of a Gnarly Tree Rex, Hot Head and Legendary Stealth Elf (which is out in Canada now). Dug through the game's code and unfortunately there are no extra surprises like with the Volcanic Vault or sidekicks this time: everything that's coming out for the game we already know about, including the second 'adventure' pack with the catapult. :\

8. Treadshot A1

Obviously Scalpers must be nicer around my area. More subtle about their deeds.

The code in the code in the game was already searched. Aside from the 4 Giant-based Sidekicks (which are still the same size as normal sidekicks afaik), there aren't any more characters that we don't know of. Volcanic Vault now unlocks an arena which I head is not a fire-reskin of Aqueduct, or maybe it's a fire-reskin of Aqueduct and now we can't get Aqueduct of something. I don't know.

On a brighter note, I got 100% on Skylanders Giants! Hard mode, too. Went through with my new Skylanders and a little help from my old Drobot. Ironically, the last speed run through Autogyro Adventure (I left it until last because I found it difficult on the first go) I did in 14:51, when the time limit was 14:50. I still got the start, though, so it's all good! No walkthroughs either, though a hole in Wilikin Village glitched up so I had to make sure that the hole was there in a guide.

Anyways, Chill is awesome. Ice Lancer is far superior to Frozen Fury, I reset her because Frozen Fury was just horrible. Hard to control Ice Blocks, Spears which did sh*t all, Ice Blocks that exploded way too often to be of any defensive use, it was a horrible path. On Ice Lancer, she's got Triple Spears (throwing out three, like Harpooner Gill Grunt but a LOT faster, with much better coverage due to her spears spinning making their hitboxes wider) to pursue enemies with, and her Shatterspear upgrade gives her spears the ability to split into 3 more, each, when passing through her Ice Wall. Add to that she still has a usable attack in Glacial Bash (which Frozen Fury didn't make much better anyways, the difference in minimal) and Chill down Ice Lancer is much better than Frozen Fury Chill.

9. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Where did you guys find Hot Dog, Eye Brawl, Thumpback, and Ninjini? I didn't think they were out yet.

10. Treadshot A1

Don't think they're out yet. Even DarkSpyro doesn't have their upgrades yet.

11. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Oh, ok. When you said you beat the game 100%, I assumed that included beating it with every character.

12. Treadshot A1

To beat the game all you need is to get all 3 stars in each level. In other words, the game only counts the stars (I've tested it, with only one star per level and gotten 33% so I know it is the stars that count). I've also beaten the arenas (all 21) and collected 7 out of 8 charms (the last one I need is the one in Drill-X's Big Rig, but 25000 is a hell of a lot of cash so I haven't bothered with it yet).

But all you need is to get 3 stars on each level. Skylanders don't count towards anything.

13. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Picked up Pop Fizz and Trigger Happy today, my girlfriend chose them. I wasn't too impressed with Pop Fizz, but Trigger Happy is a fairly good one.

14. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Picked up and level-ed up Fright Rider to lv5 last night. He's so much fun and he inspired me to buy all the undead skylanders. Just picked up the three pack with Chop Chop, Shroomboom and the Dragonfire cannon. Has anyone played with the cannon yet? I'm curious to see what it can do.

15. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Doesn't the Cannon just unlock a new level?

16. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Just to update, I haven't played with it yet, but it seems like it's supposed to unlock a battle arena and also assist in gameplay.

Also, any word on the newer lightcore figures? Specifically Pop Fizz...he looks so cool and I'm trying to hold out on him

17. Treadshot A1

It unlocks two Battle Mode arenas. In a level, it's a time-limited power up. It appears as a cannon and shoots things every once in a while with a wide (probably as wide as Stealth Elf or so) laser/beam thing.

If you get the Golden Dragonfire Cannon (in Australia, it's EB Games exclusive, I believe Argos has it in Europe) it unlocks the two arenas and acts in game exactly as the regular one does. However, it unlocks a third arena, and in game it shows up golden, shooting an orange beam/laser.

18. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Went Skylander hunting today. Saw most of the exclusives ones released in the UK, but passed on most.

Toys R Us REALLY surprised me by having more of their Legendary 3-Pack and Legendary Bouncer than any of the other figures. Possibly because they were more expensive.

First purchase was the Asda exclusive Lightcore triple pack, which I got for less than retail as they kept me waiting while looking for it. It's Lightcore Drobot, Eruptor and Prism Break, for essentially the price of 2 of them.
    I wasn't going to buy any Lightcore figures originally, but I wanted all 3 characters and needed a fire one, so got it.

My second purchase was Granite Crusher from Tesco. They had dozens of him, I really can't believe I was bidding on them on EBay during the week for up to £20. Becasue I got him so easily it makes me glad I missed out on the ones on EBay.

I've not really played with the new figures a lot, but Drobot is my fave so far. He's fast and his lasers are fast enough to make up for them being weaker.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I'm sorry to ask something that must have been covered already but I'm going to. :D 

My kids weren't interested in Spyro's Adventure, but they are interested in Giants. However, they want the Spyro figure.

It seems however that you can only get Spyro if you buy Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. Is that correct? I don't see Spyro packaged with anything other than the Spyro's Adventure starter pack.

20. Treadshot A1

Yup. Spyro's only in the Starter Pack for SSA, on Wii, PS3 and XBox 360. Not the 3DS (that has Dark Spyro, which acts the same as Spyro on the Consoles, but differently on the 3DS itself).

I know Toys R Us still has the old Legendary three pack, which has Legendary Spyro in it (light blue version, boosted stats but almost entirely the same as Spyro as the boosts aren't noticeable). That needs you to go to TRU's website, though, and it's the OLD Legendary 3-Pack (the new one is all black and gold, with Ignitor, Jet-Vac and Slam Bam).

Otherwise, no Spyro. Be warned that Spyro is horrible in game, though. Both paths (each character has two upgrade paths to choose from, and you can't switch freely between them without resetting the character back to default; see the OP for the table on the select few who can switch freely) for Spyro are bad. Blitz Spyro is too weak for Melee use (Pook Blade Saint Stealth Elf does a better job even though she was needed in Giants, so does Soul Of The Flame Ignitor ironically) while Sheep Burner Spyro's fireballs are weak and outclassed by Master Blaster Drobot and Floral Defender Zook.

Ultimately, Spyro isn't available in Giants, and frankly he sucked anyways regardless whether you liked his Skylanders redesign, so I wouldn't bother tracking him down unless your kids are desperate.

Characters I would track down: Drobot (Master Blaster) was slightly needed but still good, Ignitor Series 2 (Soul of the Flame), Stealth Elf (Pook Blade Saint), Zook (Floral Defender), Terrafin (Sandhog, Sandhog/Brawler if you have Series 2). EDIT: Add Double Trouble (Channeler), Stump Smash S2 (Nut Crafter), Drill Seargeant S2 (Megadozer) and Bash S2 (Pulver Dragon). Hex S2 (Bone Crafter) gets a mention for having the strongest Wow Pow to date, a Skull Servant that does 280 per hit, with a wide area of effect (meaning its hard to run away from) and the ability to hit 11 times per charge (Hex's bone wall defending skills make charging a breeze). Given the average health of a Skylander is around 600 (Giants about 1000), Hex can literally kill your Skylander with just one use of her Skull Servant.

Actually, every Series 2 is better than their SSA counterparts except Cynder, as the new Wow Pow abilities make them much stronger, along with the Series 2 figures' ability to switch paths at will. Cynder's an exception as she was nerfed in Giants and her Wow Pow actually made her ability to Shadow Dash worse.

EDIT: Giants is a far better game in every regard than SSA. Don't buy SSA just for Spyro, as the Series 2 versions of Gill Grunt and Trigger Happy (also in the SSA starter pack) are far superior, Gill Grunt's Wow Pow being surprisingly effective.