Skylanders GIANTS: As if I needed to spend more money on these characters...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

EDIT: Helpful chart for those who want Giants. There has been a lot of confusion as to whether the LightCore figures have the WowPow abilities, whether Series 2 Figures will work with the old game, etc. So, here's a table from DarkSpyro. As far as I'm aware, it's accurate.

That is true. From DarkSpyro, a handy table:

[​IMG]

(from the DarkSpyro Main Giants Page, cropped)

What each column means:

WowPow: Abilities given to Series 2 characters. Extra attack/move. Ability depends on character. Notable WowPow abilities: Hex's Skull Servant (Buddy?), for dealing 280 damage per hit and Chop Chop's Shield Charge for making him viable for once.

Path Switch: All characters upgrade 4 times, before they must choose between two paths. Choose one, and you can't use the other. The paths each have 3 upgrades each. Characters who have Path Switch can freely change between paths as they please (though they still can only have one path active at any one time). Other characters must be reset to choose the opposite path.

Lightcore Blast: Does 100 damage to enemies in an area surrounding the figure, when the figure is placed on the portal.

Spyro's Adventure: Whether the figure works with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. Note: Series 2 figures, Series 2 Lightcore figures and their variants (e.g. Glow in the Dark Series 2 Cynder, known in the game as "Special Cynder") work in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, butthey appear as their Series 1 selves, with no extra abilities. So a Series 2 Cynder will work with SSA, but it will show up and behave like a regular SSA Cynder. Levels, coins and experience are properly retained, so a Series 2 Cynder gaining coins in SSA will have those coins upon its return to Giants.

Heroic Challenge: Whether the figure, when taken Ownership of in Giants, will unlock a Heroic Challenge. The Series 2 characters unlock the Heroic Challenges they would have in SSA, except for a few differences (e.g. Series 2 Chop Chop does NOT unlock Pod Maze, unlocking Dungeoness Creeps instead, which used to be Cynder's. Cynder now unlocks Zombie Dance Party instead). Series 1 figures do not unlock Heroic Challenges in Giants.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Mods, I realise there was a thread for Skylanders Spyro's Adventure, but having two games in that thread would just be confusing.*

So, after beating Kaos (or Hektore if you were stuck on 3DS), we all thought the world was back to normal. Until the menace Activision came along. Not satisfied with the heaps of cash, it sought something more. Something bigger. Something GIANT.

In other words, we're all going to get ripped off again for plastic figures and video games. All for our beloved Spyro.

Meanwhile, your pal Treadshot A1 waited outside his local Target for his copy of Skylanders, plus Chill. Deal for those in Perth, Australia, as it's on special for $79, game and one skylander (not necessarily Chill). Regardless, I picked up a PS3 Starter Pack, Chill and a Terrafin, having missed out on the Pirate Seas pack from SSA. Check it out:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Oh God, I know. I've already got the Dragonfire Cannon pack preordered from GameStop.

3. Treadshot A1

I've just beaten Level 10,
    Aerial Attack
    . I'm playing on hard difficulty, and only with the skylanders in the Starter Pack + Chill and Terrafin. Luckily for me, I've got Cynder and Terrafin to stall the crap out of battles, which got me through quite a lot of the levels and fights.

The
    Arena fights
    are also awesome! While they're a bit of a pain in Story mode (on Hard Difficulty, almost everything is), the challenges and money are good rewards. The battles do take forever, though, but at least they're fun.

I have to sav, I am glad I got Chill and Terrafin. While I'm sure i could have survived by spamming Jet-Vac's blaster capabilities, his rapid fire doesn't compare to Chill's ability to just stand and fire. While Jet-Vac's blaster hits faster, Chill's Ice Walls make her a much more potent threat, at least so far. I do swap between them, though, so I might just be biased since I like Chill (and all Ice knight/warrior characters in general). Terrafin's burrowing has saved me more times than I can remember, and while I hate using him in fights since he has to stall, the Land Shark can beat almost anything with enough patience and I've always kept him as backup in case everyone else fainted. I do like his little work song too. :)  Terrafin's lack of
    stun
    does hamper his performance a bit, though, as I can't spam his combo attack without being hit back for twice the damage. Still, body slams are awesome, and I can't wait to start upgrading down Sandhog.

Oh, and Level 7's boss battle mechanic is awesome. Without spoiling it too much, the entire level is fought in Ikaruga style, and you get an item that lets you flip the ______ as you please. For those wondering, you don't get told this in the game, but to activate that item, use the Action button (Triangle on PS3). I was lucky to have found that out in time. Else, I would've been destroyed by _________. Still, anything that harks back to Ikaruga's mechanics is great for me.

I'll also add here that the old
    Adventure Packs
    get completely ripped off in this game. There's an
    ice level and a few ice challenges
    which hark back to
    Slam Bam's levels
    , while the level with the Ikaruga style mechanics is almost a blatant rip off (with a new skin, I suppose) of
    Darklight Crypt
    . The fourth level also harkens back to the thing I skipped in SSA, the
    Pirate Seas
    level. I'm really glad they did this, as it makes the game feel a lot more complete. I don't know whether they did this to save on programming or because SSA was just a halfway done version of Giants, but either way, it's awesome to get to play all those levels.

I'm also happy to see far longer levels (I took 37:30 to explore a level on the first run through) and better names for monsters (instead of the crap we got in SSA like Blaster Troll, which was more of a description than a name).

Overall, I'm happy. If a bit pissed off, since I don't want to lower the difficulty level, but I'm struggling to get through the game without my trusty Stealth Elf and Drobot.

4. Treadshot A1

Beat. The. Game. On. Hard. Mode. F***. YEAH.

Anyways, I'm now both happy and sad. Happy, because I beat the game, but sad because I know I'd never have been able to beat it without being completely cheap.

The third last level, [HIDE]Autogyro Adventure[/Hide] almost killed me, leaving me with just Cynder. I only just got through thanks to Cynder's Shadow Dash, basically just attacking and the escaping to the other side with the dash. I swear, if I didn't have Cynder's ability to scape, I'd have been toast.

Still, she doesn't compare to Terrafin. Wasn't sure whether to get him or Zook, but I'm glad I got Terrafin. On Sandhog, he is just crazy. There's a reason Sandhog Terrafin is usually listed in the S Tiers on gaming boards. He just destroyed everyone. Invulnerable underground, with Razorfin for damage output at 15 a hit hitting almost every second AND homing mini sharks which have no lag on Terrafin when launched underground. None of the enemies stood a chance. Sure, I had to use Chill to beat through the shooting parts (dodging the game's Ikaruga-esque mechanics, I won't spoil it here), but Terrafin made the final battle what it was, and that was easy.

Sadly, I think I chose the wrong path for Chill. I put her on Frozen Fury, and it completely ruined her. Sure, it seemed like a good choice with exploding ice blocks and the ability to freeze enemies, but the explosions completely merged her walling capabilities making her a sitting duck. I wish I'd put her on Ice Lancer instead, as that would've given me triple spears, which would split into three more spears each for a total of nine if I threw them through ice blocks. Plus, the ice blocks would stay intact. I will probably reset Chill, unfortunately. :( 

5. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Not released until the 21 here :( 

6. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Got it on pre-order at TRU for my son. I'll be there bright and early Sunday morning.

7. Treadshot A1

While I don't want to spoil anything, I will say this: as much as there are fewer levels this time (there are only
    this time around), the level design is much better, less linear and the enemies are way cooler. Add to the the new
    arena battles
    and I'm happy.

Oh, and just so people know: LIGHTCORE DO NOT HAVE WOW POW UPGRADES. Only Series two have Wow Pow. For instance, a series 2 Drobot will have a new pose and access to Wow Pow, but LIGHTCORE Drobot will only have the LIGHTCORE ability (it deals 100 damage upon being placed on the portal iirc) and NOT the Wow Pow. Imot putting this section in spoiler tags because it's important for people to know before they buy the figures.

Also, SERIES 2 FIGURES CAN SWITCH PATHS, BUT NO ONE ELSE CAN. Yup, not even the new characters. For example, my Chill has to stay on whatever path I choose and I have to reset her to choose a new path. My Series 2 Terrafin can freely switch between Brawler and Sandhog as I please. Only the Series 2 characters can do this, though. Not the new characters, not the Giants, not the Lightcore (90% sure on the Lightcore not being able to switch). Just a heads up to those thinking of buying the toys.

EDIT: I'm getting this information by lurking around DarkSpyro.net and a few other gaming sites. So far the information that I've gotten I've tested as much of as I could, and it hasn't been wrong so far. Lightcores I haven't tested personally, but it's been tested on DarkSpyro.net too many times for it not to be true.

8. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

I am going to be buying this today for sure. $75 isn't bad for the ps3 pack considering you get a portal, game, giant and two regular skylanders. I play this game with my younger cousin and we always have a good time. She'll be surprised when she comes over next time and I have the game all set up and ready to go!

9. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

In the past two days, I've found 4 giants and 7 of the 8 new regular characters. Found Lightcore Jet-Vac, Sprocket, and Flashwing at TRU today. I just missed the Hot Head giant, though. They got him in exclusive today, but the kid said a family took turns coming in to beat the 1 per person rule and bought all 16. Bastards...

10. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

Just made out quite nicely today! Took some games to Best Buy to trade them in, and it turns out that they are giving you 100% trade-ins. So I traded in Arkham City for $7, they then gave me another $7 on top of that so it was $14 I got back! I had enough games that equaled out to $75, plus a $5 reward zone card so I paid $1.50 for the starter set.

Then I hit up target and picked up the Granite Crusher, this version is awesome looking! About 7-8 of him at one target and 0 at the other.

11. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I was going to Gamestop to put down some more money into my Wii-U preorder and was totally baffled by the huge line going OUT of the store waiting for this game. Is it REALLY that popular?

12. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

It's been really anticipated by kids/collectors and despised by parents (haha jk). It has been growing in popularity since last year when the game first dropped. The added elements of Giant figures and light up figures and store exclusives has made it a big thing. I went to a few stores today for fun and saw a good amount of the product already gone.

13. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's huge. My wife is a 6th grade teacher and she says the kids are all over it. And they are starting to show up everywhere. I was looking online at Halloween stuff, and actually ran into Skylanders costumes, candy buckets, etc.

Activision and Toys for Bob are sitting on the next Pokemon.

14. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I got the PS3 Starter Pack yesterday at Target because I felt an extra $15 justified the wired portal, Jet-Vac, and Cynder (who is one of my favorites and I'd be buying in a single pack for $10 later anyway). Today I got Swarm and Bash at TRU. Much better than the first game overall so far. Both stores were pretty packed full of Skylanders - and with people there to buy them.

15. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    God I'd hate to work in a toy/video game store now. I worked at a toy store at the height of the Pokemon craze back in 1999 and I swear it was like freakin' Nam and shit. Seriously. I had to break up a fistfight between two grown men over pokemon cards once.

16. Dupree

Dupree Well-Known Member

^^^ I think I could see that happening now with Skylanders lol. Fortunately, they are well distributed and you know what you're going to get when you buy one.

I played the game and lost myself for a good 3 hours last night. It ruled! The game is really straight forward, but the best part comes from leveling up the skylanders. There were some areas I couldn't access because I needed a water and fire skylander, which I'm taking care of today. Overall though it's a fun game!

17. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Only 26 more days until I can play it. :( 

18. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thinking about getting it for my 5 year old for christmas. Would it be ok for him?

19. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My brother wants this game, and I secretly do as well, but I would feel kinda of strange buying this for myself. I might pick up the Wii version for my friends younger siblings and we can play together. Yeah thats it. I can get the game for any system but am leaning towards the Wii version.

I have some questions for those who have the Wii version, I don't mind buying used product but what comes with game? Like if I buy a portal from the first game is that compatible with the Giants version? What is the difference between a wireless and wired portal beside the obvious? Is on better than the other? Lastly is there any problem with buying used figures, like if the kids started trading with each other would used figures work on any system or are there system specific figures?

Thanks for any help.

20. Treadshot A1

Wireless portals are battery eating pieces of crap, buy the new portals. Both will work with Giants, but you'll save money in the long run as the battery consumption of the old portals was why they changed to wired portals in Giants in first place.

The Giants game is available as a Starter Pack (Portal, Game, Jet-Vac, Series 2Cynder and Tree Rex Giant) and as a booster pack (game, Tree Rex). I'd always go for the Starter Pack, as the wired portal is great.

Also, the old portals do not cause the Lightcore and Giants figures to light up; only the new portals work with that. There's no in game difference, but the light up features are cool.

Figures work with all versions of the game. They unlock a Heroic Challenge, but they must be owned by you. Just place them on the portal, go into the character menu (press the Minus button on Wii) and select Ownership to take ownership of the figure. You can reset the characters if you want to start with 'new' figures.