Skybound Transformers #7 review thoughts opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nemesisprime1975, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Creativeking

Creativeking Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I don't think Ultra Magnus is dead, it very much seems like they're setting up his return / resurrection with the amount of focus they gave him

• Like Like x 7
  2. big rigs

big rigs Active Member

Just caught up with the current issues since #4. Gotta say, the new artist is great. His style's consistent with DWJ. I forget he's a different artist for a moment. He does make more 3D-looking bots, while DWJ did action spectacularly.

Just a thought: if Sparkplug was able to sacrifice himself for the Matrix to use as a power source (or energon?), what's not to say that the Transformers could use more organic creatures to...fuel themselves? Imagine if they do that. Kind of like how the aliens and their robots used humans as fuel in War of the Worlds. Just a harrowing thought.

I wonder if Thundercracker will find out about who really did that to Skywarp, and if there's a possibility he or anyone else among the Cons change sides. Interesting to see them call the Autobots evil when their faction cannibalizes each other's body parts freely, and they have no qualms stepping on and destroying the weak and obsolete.

Overall this is the first time I've been excited for a TF series in a long while. Can't tell if the story's progressing faster than IDW1's track, but for the whole package as it is, I'm really digging what they're doing with the franchise. I can't wait to see more Cons cannibalizing each other for parts, with maybe some Bots end up doing that in dire situations. I just hope Teletraan won't keep reviving any bot or at least gets handicapped lol, since it'll cheapen the deaths of the others (and the stakes of the comic) if any bot can just be revived again. Time will tell. I hope DWJ can continue to write this series for a long time with the success of this series.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    That's certainly not a new concept for Transformers, the entire point of the Powermasters from G1 was that they could serve as fuel for Transformers - of course given the nature of the stories then, the darker side of it was never fully explored. I guess you could point to the Minicons as doing something a bit similar, tho their entire thing seemed to be more of "power unlocks" rather than direct fuel.

Thundercracker may be one who has a longer term subplot regarding his loyalties, would definitely be interesting to see him be used differently vs the usual G1 treatment.

So far it looks like the people running the show at Skybound aren't just bringing back TFs randomly, or in the case of Skywarp, they're pretty much a shell of their former selves. I like how it's being handled because the stakes feel definitely higher. I just hope they don't eventually realize that they need to bring a bunch of people back later, and go back on their stand, esp since the TF Universe definitely has a ton of characters to play with.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The whole powermaster fuel storyline in marvel us which saw the return of optimus prime was an interesting one. With the fuel.on nebulous poisonous to transformers they needed another source to being back prime. It was emotional
    Prime collapsing instantly from the nebulan fuel prompted hi q to have an alternative.

It gave the bots an increase in power as well as energy and was an interesting concept. It could easily be used in skybound and see the powermasters brought in to it as a way to revive fallen bots.

Edit and of course instead of nebulons as the engines have some gi Joe for the autobots and cobra for the cons lol. Could you imagine flint being primes powermaster or destro being starscreams ?

• Like Like x 3
  5. big rigs

big rigs Active Member

Cool, I never really watched G1 nor read the older series. I watched a bit of Armada before, but they weren't fuel, just add-ons for more power. They had their own autonomy and could go on to other bots. My mind went to something akin to the "batteries" used in Made in Abyss (manga/anime) to traverse the lower rungs of the Abyss. Made of... y'know. Now that could be too much for the Transformers, if the Decepticons learn to use humans (or each other) as slave cattle or fuel.

I'm really hoping they make Thundercracker more noble. They tries to do it in IDW if I remember. And some Bots or Cons switching factions or working from within to usurp the current power would always be interesting in my opinion.

I think DWJ knows his characters and has a plan on how he'll use them. If there's one thing about this series, is that it seems for some reason, well-thought of. Smart. I don't know why or how I get that feeling on it. It is just pretty impressive with how they're surprising us with different "tropes" from the norm that modern audiences are used to. I didn't get that feeling at all in the IDW series, only this. Maybe that's just me. :lolol 

I should check out what's happening in the other comics, too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I think they should actually go with transtectors as a technological acheivement by the humans, be it GI Joe, MASK or whomever they choose. The Powermaster/Godmaster should be separate from actual Transformers as I'd like to see Jinrai or an equivalent. Hell, the reason they gave it an Optimus-like body could even be said a way to honor him for what he has done to help, etc.

The thing with GodMasters/PowerMasters is that unlike the Sunbow Headmasters which when transformed sat in the head like a pilot these PMs remain on the outside pretty much contorted so it's rather odd to me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Ah yeah I know. Humans or nebulans don't fold that way lol

Ouch.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OP is going to call Spike 'son' one time and he'll freakout.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I’m kind of thinking that maybe ultra Magnus isn’t really dead. Just mostly dead. And as the series has established with both Tele Tran and the matrix, mostly dead is still slightly alive.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah that's pretty much the out Skybound is using right now. I'm really curious about the bot Elita is rescuing, bec it's implied he's pretty important, but also being implied that he isn't Magnus, despite being of similar shape. I also wonder what the time frame where all of this is happening under.

• Like Like x 3
  11. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

You could also check out 'Transformers: Last Bot Standing' - by Nick Roche art by EJ Su. Designed as a potential end story/ capstone for most or potentially for any continuity. The use of organic fuel is explored. Its pretty cool.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde クインテッサ星人

News Credits:
    It's also mentioned early on in MTMTE and referred to as 'pink alchemy' or 'bleeding the meat', in general the concept of 'bio-fuel' is an old sci-fi staple that I'd totally like to see explored more in the future.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Rob

Rob Fanatic Films Supporter: Optimus Prime reborn!!!

News Credits:
    How was the Last Bot standing ? I love Su's art and Roche can be outstanding (LSFTW).

Is it like the end of IDW 1.0?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Without saying too much.

No and it's at the end of idw2

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob

News Credits:
    So a good read?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Yeah it's decent

• Like Like x 5
  17. Rob

News Credits:
    Cool, I'll check it out Thanks

• Like Like x 4
  18. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    It’s supposed to be kind of a general end to any continuity perhaps? It’s very non-specific, intentionally so. Like a last ronin type of thing. Basically you could read it as a standalone “last transformers story.” I really liked it, I thought it was awesome. EJ Su did a great job. He’s one of the best transformers artists ever and I felt fortunate to be able to chop it up with him at TF con and get him to sign some of my Comics

• Like Like x 5
  19. Rob

News Credits:
    Oh that's cool, I remeber loving his stuff from issue 2 of infiltration with that wide shot of the Autobots and Prowl dressing down Ratchet.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    It turns out that he actually has a background in engineering, so it makes sense that his transformers look like actual machines. He does a great job of making things look mechanical but also alive. You could tell he was a big fan of Katsuhiro Otomo, which he confirmed.

• Like Like x 3