Skybound Transformers #7 review thoughts opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nemesisprime1975, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I really dig your breakdown and do feel that’s how things have panned out. It definitely makes the Decepticons more interesting as a group and individually.

It would be way too simplistic if Thundercracker had a change of heart but his emotional ambivalence definitely makes him interesting.

And Starscream teaming up with Cobra Commander is just too delicious. CC has shown to be a master manipulator and strategist. SS is the unwavering opportunist. You mix them together and it’s impossible to predict the outcome because it’s really brain versus brain at that point. Neither character is actually stupid but it does make you wonder if Starscream’s vanity over his superiority will be his undoing. Or is he smart enough to reel it back in when necessary.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    First off, thank you. I appreciate and am grateful for your kind words.

I think it’s more like is Starscream smart enough to learn that humans are not actually weak? It’s interesting that he thinks he’s philosophically opposed to Optimus prime, actually he’s not. Optimus prime just sees humans as incredibly strong. He shields their physical weakness in service of their more fundamental strength.

If Starscream comes to this realization, which wouldn’t be difficult since cobra Commander already has means of subjugating a Cybertronian even more powerful than him, He might even be the one who decides to innovate the science of organic hybridization and research the military applications of teaming up with seemingly lesser lifeforms. Not because he cares about them, but because he thinks he can use them. Like a human weaponizing bugs. I’m assuming based on his pre-war connection with Jetfire that he was also formerly a scientist in his continuity, that’s another way he could really leverage his value with cobra Commander, especially if he initially finds himself at a severe disadvantage which I suspect will be the case.

Again, cobra Commander is the Earth’s foremost expert in subjugating damaged Cybertronians. Starscream seems to be even more damaged than Megatron was, and wasn’t as powerful as him in the first place. AAAAAND I just realized, cobra commander is the only person in cobra-La who is really qualified to do anything with Megatron. And he’s not there right now. If anybody back there tries to do anything at all with Megatron, whether it’s execute him for being heretical technology, talk to him to learn from him, Even just go in the room to look at him, my guess is he’s going to break free and they are going to be helpless to stop him.

Remember all the other scientists who worked with cobra Commander are dead! They have no idea that Megatron is still alive and conscious, and literally nobody there has any clue who or what he really is. Meanwhile he has been secretly aware of everything that’s going on and most likely worming his way into whatever kinds of computer systems they have, which ironically might be the very threat their prohibition against technology was intended to protect them from.

Now I am even more convinced that Megatron will be the reason why cobra commander allies with Destro, the Dreadnoks, etc. to form the modern cobra organization. He’s going to try to go back to cobra-La and when he gets there it will have been destroyed. Since he will be forced to return to the world he hates, he will attempt to reform it in the image of the superior culture he chose to align himself with.

I think it’s important that he actually does seem to be loyal to Golobulus. Sure he’s a raging egomaniac but he genuinely believes in the superiority of cobra-La to the outside world. So if he is stuck in the outside world, the logical solution is to reshape it in the image of a superior society he already knows for a fact exists… with HIM in charge now. And he’s going to fix the main weakness of cobra-La, The cause of its downfall, Which was its lack of familiarity with/mastery of modern technology…

now the alternative scenario, since all of this happens within the United States, is that G.I. Joe actually gets to Starscream first. That could be really interesting as well. I think it’s still going to end up with him in cobra‘s hands, but there could be a lot of interesting manipulation if he becomes the governments FIRST primary source of information on Cybertronians. I think Starscream is shrewd enough to know that the United States government is already inclined to kill him since he’s already attacked not only their territory but also their soldiers. In fact he was the first Decepticon personally identified by a United States service member. Another interesting wrinkle is if they decide he’s too important of a national security asset to kill, and Carly takes it upon herself to go against that edict. She’s REALLY pissed. Like, she’s ready to go full on Sarah Connor.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    One thing that I find amazingly mature about this writing is how it deals with the grief cycle and even the scope of tragedy. When tragedy is personal, it’s very easy to take it personally, which I know sounds dumb. But you spend a lot of time in the anger phase of the grief cycle.

Ironically, the more tragedy you experience, the more perspective you gain on it, and the less personal things become, even for seemingly personal things like betrayal. (you realize that when people do that kind of shit, it’s because of their issues, not you). Now, that added experience can make you hardened and jaded but it can also make you more empathetic or even remorseful if you wasted time and energy on the path of revenge.

Carly is too early in her journey to see the parallels between herself and Arcee. But she also hasn’t been around spike yet either. The presence of a person with whom there is mutual love and respect, and whom you also know personally understands what you are going through, can completely change a person’s experience.

This is me speaking as a 45-year-old who has probably lived about 60 years worth of life. I’ve been Carly and I’ve been Arcee. They are two ends of a continuum. The writing in this comic reflects a genuine understanding of human nature and behavior

• Like Like x 9
  4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Fixed the tread title.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Well, -2 at least for the original Ark crew as of this issue.

i’m interested in seeing if these deaths have a snowball effect as the continuity goes on. Like, if they mirror the major Beats of G1, things are going to go completely differently now no matter what. If the major events of what would’ve been the movie happened in 2005 — The Decepticons attack Autobot city on earth, Unicron attacks Cybertron — things have to go differently, right?

I do think it’s interesting that most of the casualties are from the season two cast. I wonder if that means they’re mostly going to skip that season and go straight from the end of season one into the events of the movie, but obviously a completely different version considering many of the movie’s cast members are not present due to perishing horribly

• Like Like x 1
  6. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    One other interesting wrinkle that they’ve set up here is that Spike and Carly are by necessity going to process their grief very differently. Spike has to actually sit down and process things emotionally because he has no choice. Carly is going to get out there and try to kill her pain away. Ironically through his inaction spike is going to gain more perspective on his trauma more quickly. That’s going to set up tension between them, but it also is the potential basis for a deeper connection between Carly and, for example, cliff jumper. Spike might help her realize that not stooping to the level of your enemy doesn’t mean you’re a coward. That what really makes a person who they are are their principles. And those only really show when the chips are down. It’s easy to do the right thing when it’s easy to do. But we see who you really are when it’s hard to do the right thing. When it doesn’t even make sense necessarily.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe they could bond over their mutual hatred of silver faced, deep voiced villain characters.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I know I said it already but I definitely dig your points, analysis and predictions. Keep it coming!

A few thoughts that your posts produced. I really dig this interpretation of Cobra Commander for the reasons you gave. I think the writer on his book purposely explained that CC was also motivated by the extraterrestrial knowledge he gained from Megatron. His quest is now partially influenced by the existence of greater threats outside of earth. There is something very interesting in showing this and showing that CC is also likely loyal/grateful towards Golobulous and isn’t just a one-note megalomaniac who wants to “rule the world.” At his core, CC is fighting for his adopted home after being expelled like garbage from his native one. That’s pretty damn relatable.

I also like how Arcee and Carly demonstrate the journey of loss and grieving like you pointed out. There’s a real “life is unfair” vibe going through this issue. It’s like the threat has temporarily subsided but it hasn’t disappeared and we’re now left picking up the pieces of what’s been destroyed in our lives. It’s very personal even though it’s in the context of a giant robot civil war.

I even feel the Decepticons are kinda at a loss. They’re on an alien planet that’s hostile towards them and somewhat capable of fending them off. They don’t have a stable source of energy and security. Their leadership structure went off the rails and even now with Soundwave at the helm, the future remains uncertain.

This comic is kinda traumatic, lol! There is no safety. There’s no chance to retreat to fight another day. No one is safe. It’s kinda scary…

• Like Like x 4
  9. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I think that’s the point though. Everybody is scared. Humans are terrified because literal kaiju that can hide in plain sight and actively enjoy murdering people have infiltrated the planet. Sure, some of them are friendly, but they’re intelligent enough to lie, so who’s to say which individual can be trusted? Also, due to the Autobots sense of morality, they would probably be less likely to share Weaponizable technology with humans than the Decepticons would. For, ironically, the exact same reason: doing so would likely destabilize human society and potentially lead to catastrophic implosion of global order. That’s something the Decepticons would clearly seek to capitalize upon. But given the way everything is being set up, it looks like that would be the angle of Cobra, Starscream, and whichever Cybertronians end up allied with them. We haven’t seen Megatron in action yet though.

(I assume that when Megs comes back into the fold soundwave will yield leadership to him without a fight and maybe we can see some real super villain shit happen. I could even see soundwave discovering he’s alive and prioritizing his rescue, leading directly to the annihilation of cobra-La, which is almost certain to happen in order to facilitate the creation of cobra the international corporate entity and terrorist organization. If Megatron genuinely has all of the strength and charisma of Optimus prime, all of the intelligence and wisdom, just with different morals? Hoo boy. That’s gonna be a serious problem for the good guys. Like, I could see Starscream getting down with cobra, but I could see Megatron slick ass getting down with a global superpower. Or just getting things in order right away so that his faction is actually ahead in spite of what everybody else is doing. After all, that seems to be where he left off before whatever happened on the ark happened)

Autobots are terrified because almost all of them are already dead, literally all of them are horribly traumatized, and they are surrounded by both their own enemies and humans that they know are both capable of being hostile and capable of being a threat. The Decepticons are still out there, and as far as they know Starscream is still among them. No individual autobot, even Optimus prime, can stand against devastator in one on one combat without some sort of tactical advantage; He was literally killed by devastator before being magically resurrected and defeating him. They have reclaimed the ark but an actively hostile presence has infiltrated their supercomputer so they don’t have actual control of its security systems or repair systems. They’re not even sure how safe they are inside the base. Can skywarp transmit information about them to soundwave? Beyond that, what about the humans? Carly has already soured on Cliffjumper. Spike won’t talk to Optimus. Who knows how many billions of humans want to kill them all on sight with no regard to their allegiance, as cliffjumper experienced already?

The Decepticons are scared because they have no support, as far as they know literally everybody on this planet is their enemy, and they don’t even have a base of operations even though that seems like it might be changing pretty soon based on the issue eight preview. As has already been mentioned, their command structure has gone from being stable for at least hundreds of years to changing multiple times over what, to them, might be the course of several days considering they spent all of the time between the crash landing in the event of issue one unconscious. They are also facing a group of Autobots with superior resources and a FULLY REPAIRED, 100% POWERED UP Optimus Prime wielding both his signature ion blaster (itself an exceptionally deadly weapon) and Megatron’s fusion cannon, which means no individual on their squad even has a reasonable chance of survival in a fight against him. (He killed two of them, immediately, In their last fight) This is literally both the most Optimus prime Optimus prime ever and the most OP Optimus prime Optimus prime ever. As far as they know, the autobots have full control over TeleTran one, because how would they know wheeljack would be dumb enough to turn Skywarp’s mind back on, As well as whatever energy source they’d harvested from the turbine at the dam. Which by the way they still could use!

And then to top it off with the numerous deaths, maiming’s, and brutal side linings in the series, literally nobody is safe. I mean it started off with Megatron as the victim of cobra Commander, Completely off screen and only covered in a totally separate title. Back on Cybertron almost everybody is dead or in stasis, and it seems like the ones who aren’t are in the process of actively murdering each other. I don’t think things have ever been this bleak for the Cybertronians Outside of the war for Cybertron cartoon trilogy. But unlike that, this is actually good

• Like Like x 3
  10. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    This issue pissed me off honestly. When I got in the car and opened it to the first page, I was so overwhelmed that I had to close the book and breath for a second. I love Huffer, Kup, and Warpath and had no idea they'd be in this issue. That excitement was destroyed when they were unceremoniously murdered on the next page. Warpath I get, Huffer I can be okay with, but Kup?? Kup is an A-list character that is so crucial to Transformers, this kill was almost disgusting. Starscream's "death" was better because he'll definitely be able to come back at some point. Magnus I was okay with. His death wasn't shown or really described much, so he can definitely come back. I just know from experience that every transformers character is somebody's favorite, and the writers would do well to keep that in mind when writing. Huffer and Warpath may seem insignificant to some, but I know damn well someone on here has a dedicated shrine of every version of those characters on a shelf.

I wonder who it was that Elita found, Fortress Maximus maybe? Also, I honestly cannot get over the fact that Kup was taking orders from Elita, that feels so backwards lol. I guess he'd take orders from Rodimus or Optimus, so it isn't as outlandish as it feels given she shares the same rank as those two. Also, that tower she walked into was definitely Shockwave's, it even looked like him! The fight with SW and SS was just awesome. "you kicked my Ravage," amazing. Funnily enough, I picked the cover where Starscream is ripping up Soundwave . . . Sparky's memories popping up in Optimus were awesome. I heard someone on here on the discussion for #6 predicting something like that would happen. I wrote it off at the time, but I was proven wrong!

I guess the issue wasn't as bad as I started off stating, it was alright actually. I don't like that death isn't defined well in this series, I never know when to expect someone to come back. Especially Skyfire now, is he coming back?

Was anyone else's copy a little faded on some pages? Sometimes the black read more as grey and the red on Starscream and Optimus more as orange. I really hope my comic isn't screwed up, I'll check their in-store copies when I go on FCBD.

• Like Like x 5
  11. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Kinda feels gross to do that. I get they're robots so we can forgive it, but in human terms, that's pretty darn gross.

Also, I've been convinced, that's definitely Magnus, not Maximus

• Like Like x 3
  12. SuperSunnyDee

SuperSunnyDee Sense is like cheesecake.

I much preferred this issue compared to the last one. The biggest highlight for me was easily Soundwave vs Starscream. That fight was brutal and really allowed Soundwave to get some more stand out moments. It’s always interesting to see the Decepticons in gladiatorial type combat.

Also, Soundwave pulling out his gun while beating up Starscream only to immediately toss it aside made me just put down the issue. One of the most raw moments in Transformers media I could think of and I just had to let it sink in.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They sure seem to be killing off bots left and right. How long is this is this series planned to go on for? They won’t have many bots to use at this rate.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I think that was me. Yeah, if the matrix is the repository of the memories and experiences of everybody who’s ever entered it, there is now a human inside of it, so Optimus is going to be personally connected to the people of Earth. It explains why he would irrationally place their welfare above that of his own planet if it came down to it

• Like Like x 6
  15. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to imagine that there's going to be some unintended consequences from that happening. Something like Optimus gaining some more human traits/mannerisms that confuses the hell out of everyone else. Things that he now understands in regards to humans but never could prior and done in a way that he realizes after the point he's done it.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    They literally showed that happening in this issue, when he has one of Sparkplug’s memories of holding a baby

• Like Like x 4
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    So... was that scene meant to be a memory? Because he saw himself holding a baby Spike, so is he going to start seeing memories of Sparky's but with HIM in his place?? That's how it appeared to me.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Yes, exactly. They’re visually showing how the experiences of everybody else in the matrix integrate with Optimus prime. It’s like all of that stuff actually happened to him. What’s interesting is this was kind of foreshadowed multiple times with Optimus and spark plug having similar flashbacks simultaneously. Maybe there was something about their experiences that was inherently in sync, and that’s why he knew to enter the matrix. Alternatively, what we are being shown are actually flashbacks from a future point in the series, of Optimus and spark plugs memories integrating. Either way they did a surprisingly good job of setting up something so surprising and different

• Like Like x 10
  19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    Absolutely, and if this creates a fatherly instinct in Optimus towards Spike, that'd be pretty heartwarming.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read 7 yesterday, this was definitely a bit slower of an issue compared to how much action's been in the last few, but still great. I loved Soundwave's absolute beatdown of Starscream, he's had it coming for a while now, especially the way Soundwave ended it by saying it was for hurting Ravage. Obviously Starscream isn't dead, we didn't see a body and any good Starscream is like a cockroack (and I'd argue this is one of the best), but he's down for the moment. I definitely think the body found by Elita in the simultaneous story is Ultra Magnus, I feel like the "head" was slightly reminiscent of UM's usual helmet, and I doubt that Arcee would have mentioned him for nothing if he wasn't important in some way.

And on the topic of characters getting gunned down left and right, I do agree that I think they're killing some characters off a bit too quickly...but at the same time we can't act like Sunbow G1, for as much inspiration as this comic is drawing from it, is the only iteration with characters worth a damn. There's hundreds upon hundreds of characters outside of the G1 cartoon that could be used, not just from other iterations of the franchise but the mess of toy-only figures who were never animated past, like, a commercial. Is it still a bit sad this is arguably implicit confirmation these characters will not be important in this continuity when they're already historically bit players? Yeah. But I do think the deaths work better when it's a character that you recognize and actually know stuff about than a random Micromaster that maybe 5 people can name off the top of their head without any help like what IDW enjoyed doing.

• Like Like x 6