Skybound Transformers #7 review thoughts opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nemesisprime1975, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Man. They did Huffer dirty.

Someone needs to tell these writers the worst thing you can do is kill a character. Much better to keep them alive and "torture" them. Much better drama.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    Obviously I don't know their plan for this universe, but something that may be worth looking into for a future mini or series of minis is to explore their past so we can learn more about characters who have died?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

So, basically what they're doing with Skywarp? Even then, there's so many bots in the G1 extended continuity that "killing" characters off (seems like Teletraan can bring them back from some serious damage) isn't a huge issue.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    PRETTY MUCH this.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a favorite it's annoying if they get gunned down almost immediately, but there's so many characters.... as long as some get fully fleshed out, I'm totally fine if some just have a cameo or one-shot appearance.

• Like Like x 8
  5. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I suppose I’ll respond to this, not exactly to you but to this sentiment.

I agree, despite being someone who said that I’ll be skipping it, I really do think that it’s not bad to have characters die and stuff.

Im just a very character specific person, it’s why collection consists of like 7 characters.

I hope Magnus stays dead/they keep the intensity going. It may not be for me, but its fans are clearly loving it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I actually don’t think Magnus is dead. I know it was a different continuity but overlord survived being skeletonized like this. I think they’re torturing Magnus. Or maybe just cannibalizing him piece by piece

• Like Like x 5
  7. Ramjet555

Ultra Magnus is in my top 3 of all time. So even seeing him for one panel (well, fully put together for one panel) had me like

upload_2024-4-11_21-55-32.png

If they do more with him, great! If not, I got one great panel, and the overall story is still phenomenal

• Like Like x 10
  8. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Buuuuuut.... now I'm assuming spark cores are a thing in this continuity. Probably are. So while the body might blow up, if the core isn't breached, than it's all good, right? (Right?)

Speaking of which, was that a spark core or t-cog that SW got from Starscream?

• Like Like x 3
  10. The Chippy Winger

The Chippy Winger The Struggle is real

It’s war. Hero’s die in war. Love that aspect of the story.

the decepts tho… are written weird.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    How so, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Inzclouds

Inzclouds Starscream Fangirl

How so? I think they’re written pretty well so far. They have a warrior culture where the strongest gets to rule, and most have close and personal ties to one another. I don’t see how they could be written any better.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yup. They’re acting more like Klingons then cartoony villains. Starscream is over the top but he’s the only one that does that and it’s his role. I’m now really curious how DWJ will handle Megatron because I don’t expect the typical G1 portrayal of him. Especially since Optimus is really getting fleshed out as leader who is fed up with the carnage from war. I expect Megs to have some very good reasons for his actions.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Inzclouds

Inzclouds Starscream Fangirl

I wonder if they’ll go with a more sympathetic reason (rising up from pits and yada yada) or if he’ll just be doing it for power or something. Both are good, but if they go with the power one, it better be actually unique.

• Like Like x 5
  15. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i imagine a more serious, military-minded take similar to TFA or early IDW, minus the cruelty. i imagine him having the mindset of his way being for the best to make his people stronger and more enduring

• Like Like x 10
  16. Ramjet555

+1 to that. I like how they are all unified and really onboard with the cause (except Starscream, because, you know, Starscream). Soundwave completely shutting out Optimus. Thundercracker pushing Starscream, his brother, into the 1v1 because it's Decepticon law. It's all been great.

I mean, Soundwave was steadfast standing by genocide in this issue. I don't think there will be a lack of cruelty.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Or. Or he goes all bayverse and dons Jetfire's parts for a Flying Super Prime mode. He's already taken Megatron's arm..
    Just throwing it out there.

I haven't read the issue yet, but I've been enjoying them.
    Sad about Warpath.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never even thought about that!

• Like Like x 5
  19. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I think it’s pretty clear that the decepticons are extreme social Darwinists. Their philosophy is based upon maximizing their strength. We see this repeatedly in the early issues as the Decepticons comment continually upon the weakness of the humans and the Autobots and how backwards it is for the Autobots to be attempting to serve the weak. This goes back back to issue one, where Starscream makes a note of how strange and backwards it is for Optimus prime to be so broken up over the loss of the weakest member of his crew. He literally doesn’t understand even caring about the weak.

This philosophy comes through in different ways. Sometimes that manifests as contempt for weakness, sometimes that manifests as indifference, and sometimes even as pity, as demonstrated by Starscream, sound wave, and thunder cracker respectively. I do think it’s noteworthy, and really good writing, that starscreams complete lack of emotional attachment to anybody else actually alienate him from the rest of the relatively tightknit Decepticons. He’s an obvious psychopath and the rest of them are more like professional soldiers. They are there to do harm, but for the most part not just for the sake of doing harm.

i’m really really loving thundercracker so far. In just a little bit of screen time you’re getting a sense of exactly how different he is from Starscream and even Skywarp. Starscream is an entitled bully completely devoid of empathy. Skywarp is an easily influenced goon who basically just likes to have fun. Thundercracker clearly has more going on under the hood and seems to actually buy into some sort of higher principle, He’s really into justice and proportionality. I’m thinking that will be significant at some point.

There’s no way that Starscream is dead, and there’s no way that he’s not getting involved with cobra. It’s just too perfect. Bring on the cobra Commander and star scream mini series and let the voice of Chris Latta ring loud in our heads. If this is a permutation of the original cartoon continuity, just with lots more violence, Starscream should still have an immortal spark so even if soundwave actually killed him he shouldn’t stay dead. I’m really digging the transformers animated vibes here as well and I hope they lean into that, maybe with some transformers prime style horror added to the mix

Maybe what’s weird about the way the Decepticons are written is that it’s good? Lol

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 15
  20. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Also, to all of us who winced when Starscream backhanded Soundwave way back in issue two… Not for soundwave, but for the inevitable revenge he would take on Starscream for doing that? Yeah. Likewise with the immortal punt? Yeah. I also think it’s kind of a testament to his character that, aside from just generally having a disastrous reign, what he really held against Starscream was kicking ravage, not disrespecting him.

Now I’m having all kinds of amazing ideas for a Starscream / cobra Commander crossover. And it’s all based on them having the same voice actor. Could you imagine cobra Commander somehow binary bonded to Starscream? Starscream as his personal Mech? Cause I know he sure as fuck could imagine that.

Considering it’s pretty much a given that Megatron will escape and fucking wreck cobra-La, there’s a very good chance that cobra commander will end up out in the world with no place to go back to and that’s why he founds the cobra organization. If that’s the case, revenge on Megatron would be one of his personal goals, and it sets up an interesting multi-faction conflict where he is opposed to the Decepticons at large but allied with rogue Decepticons and potentially rogue autobots as well.

Likewise, I think that Optimus prime would be rightfully wary of an outright alliance with the United States government, based if nothing else on spark plugs influence from the matrix and his negative experiences as a veteran. He would know from spark plug that the leader ship of the United States military isn’t necessarily to be trusted… but that’s also something that Duke knows from experience now, so they’ve skillfully set up the basis of a PERSONAL alliance That would kind of mirror cobra Commander and Starscream’s, And potentially lead to a future in which Marisa Fairborn, lifelong ally of the Autobots, becomes commander of the earth defense forces.

All right, I’m not gonna lie, I think I might really have something here. Make a note of this post. I’m going to revisit this in the future if any of this comes true.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 9