Skybound Transformers #7 review thoughts opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nemesisprime1975, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Fricknmaniac

Fricknmaniac Well-Known Member

My interpretation of it was that it was Ultra Magnus. There's hints of blue on the head, between that and the size is consistent with how Ultra Magnus is drawn later in the issue in Arcee's flashback, plus Arcee mentions that he's dead. Plus, Ultra Magnus being dead would be in line with the fact that him appearing on the 1:100 cover wasn't considered a spoiler.

It could all be a red herring, but from the information given, I think at least that's what they want us to think.

I'm okay with all the death, though I do wish that we had more information on the Decepticons who are doing all the killing. Outside of Starscream killing Bumblebee and taking credit for killing Cliffhjumper's clan (and that may just be him talking about Bumblebee) all of the dead Autobots all killed from off panel by unknown Decepitcons.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Pointless Plunderer

Pointless Plunderer Well-Known Member

It's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things with how good the comic is overall. I was just disappointed because Huffer and Warpath In particular aren't used very much and I would have liked to see a little more of them.

• Like Like x 7
  3. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

Wait they killed my boy already?! Lolol holy shit.

Well after Siege I think Magnus is now just destined to die early on.

Seriously though I’ll probably sit out this continuity then but I hope it continues to be solid and they keep the hype up for its fans.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. That is just totally meaningless.

Right. Like I said before, I’m glad they’re not offing late G1 guys or G2 guys just because. So many characters have so much potential that just needs the right writer to tackle them. Hell, we wouldn’t have Swerve and Tailgate as fan favorites if they were treated like fodder.

I assumed it was Magnus, but it was so frelled up I wasn’t sure.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Great issue. Looking forward to seeing Magnus repaired and in continuity.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Yellow Shirted Kid

Yellow Shirted Kid His name is Devastator, not Brawl

YouTube (Legacy):
    "You kicked my Ravage." God, what a line.

Also, have we ever seen Soundwave take on Starscream one-on-one before in any other continuity? I can't recall a time of that happening.

• Like Like x 23
  7. Frontier4

Frontier4 Well-Known Member

I don't want to come off like a Plot Armor advocate but I feel like they don't need to be so quickly and unceremoniously offing name characters, especially fan-favorites.

"Anyone can die" doesn't mean you should so easily kill characters. I mean, even if Kup has been pretty extensively used in the comics, I love Huffer and Warpath and would've loved more from them. Like at least get the most out of the characters before you kill them off.

But hey, Arcee and Carlie bonding! Kind of!

I did like Soundwave taking control of the Decepticons over Starscream (who I'm assuming will come back). We really don't see that happen so often.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, nice Issue! I love it. I am sad about Kup, but that is kinda the point! If they just kill off randos there are no stakes. I like that when Soundwave tore starscream's whatchamacallit out, it looked like a real robot part. It looked like something you would actually see inside a robot or a car, instead of just some random weird looking thing. It looked functional. Very pleased with the art over all. Nice work Jorge!

• Like Like x 14
  9. Inzclouds

Inzclouds Starscream Fangirl

I’m pretty sure Starscream was already kind of beat down. U remember the shape he was in when the constructicons had to carry him out. That probably made it easier for Soundwave to win.

This is an AMAZING start to the next issues leading up to Megatron’s resurrection! I think some highlights were definitely Starscream and Soundwave’s battle. I liked how they clearly established that Soundwave is in full support of genocide and slavery. I was getting Cyberverse/IDW vibes from him where he’s more sympathetic, but turning him back to somewhat honorable but still sadistic was a good choice.
    I love how impactful it was that even Thundercracker, one of Starscream’s own seekers, lost his faith in Starscream. Also loved how Skywarp is clearly still alive, and although I don’t see Starscream coming back anytime soon, I can definitely see Thundercracker reuniting with his buddy sooner than later! Srsly though-that fight was SO brutal. Soundwave clearly wanted to make it hurt, and ejecting laserbeak to EAT OUT Starscream’s optic?? So brutal. And just the “you kicked my ravage” was the cherry on top. Literally loved.
    I also like how while Sparkplug was similar to Optimus, Carly is similar to Arcee. I hope she doesn’t kill herself trying to kill a deception that isn’t even alive anymore, especially since Cliffjumper isnt hanging out/protecting her right now. I wonder how she’ll react when she realizes she can’t take personal revenge.
    That issue definitely felt like the fastest to me! Might be one of my favorites, just because of that amazing Starscream vs Soundwave battle. I would have liked for Starscream to put up more of a fight, but like I said up there, he was severely damaged. Im looking forward for the next issues that show what happened to Ultra Magnus, why Optimus is seeing those visions, and how Soundwave will be a better leader than Screamer. I wonder if he’ll go back and try to get repairs, or if he’ll try and find Megatron.

• Like Like x 5
  10. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    They fought in Marvel Uk, think I remember Screamer having the upper hand in that fight.
    They also had an altercation in Dreamwave, but Soundwave basically just shot him.

I also find it funny that this is the third(?) Time Starscream's lost an eye:

Idw G.i.joe vs transformers.
    Devil's Due G.i.joe vs transformers.
    Now this.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not wanting to be that guy but soundwave lead the decepticons post legacy of unicron in marvel UK and from what I remember lasted a good while.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *Me reading the Decepticon portion of this issue*

"Yes! Finally! *Mad, joyous cackling*"
    I am very happy to see Starscream get his comeuppance, and Soundwave never forgetting what Screamer had done was exactly what I expected from him and his bond with the cassetticons. Also cool to see that, despite still being a genocidal maniac, Soundwave has the respect of his crew and he cares for them, unlike Starscream who couldn't care less about what happens to them as long as it means furthering his onw goals.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see it as high stakes, quite the opposite. If anyone can die at any time, why should I take interested in any of them? I'm not sad, because my favorite just died. I'm sad, because he had nothing else to do but hi and die. Just makes me think "oh great, I wonder what other S1/S2 character they're gonna kill next issue. Taking all bets people, taking all bets, lol". Instead of finding balance, we went to the other extreme with killing, and that's it. That's why I see it as nothing more, but cheap shock value. At least with UM it seems like he still has a chance. Starscream probably survived too, because we didn't see the body.

Other than that, I liked this issue. This comic continues to be a solid 7/10 so far. Nothing briliant, but fun read non the less.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 9
  14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, but if the only guys who die are G2 nobody's, that's pretty dumb. You have it to have where anybody can die at any moment. If I don't believe that a character can die, why should I care if they are in danger? If any character can die, then the stakes are high. You get nervous when going into a battle. If I know my favorite characters are going to be fine, why even bother reading? It becomes boring and lame.

• Like Like x 14
  15. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    I'm not against big names dieing at all, I'm just starting to find it a bit silly, especially how casual it is and we're barely at issue 7. Some will say "well, that's war. Not everyone gets to be a hero." But I guess it's not what I'm looking for. I would be fine with them simply getting seriously injured, and put out of commision for a while. And who know, being alien robots, that's exactly what it might turn out for some of them.

Didn't read Duke yet, but are they also so trigger happy in that comic? Any big name offed yet?

• Like Like x 9
  16. Inzclouds

Inzclouds Starscream Fangirl

He also lead the deceptions for a bit in IDW, and was the deception leader after megatron died in cyberverse. This comic is definitely not his first rodeo as leader.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I want to feel danger when Devastator shows up or a solo Autobot gets cornered by a squad of Decepticons. But you can’t get that tension if everything resets to the status quo by the end of the issue or the start of the next.

In battle characters often die quickly and unexpectedly. Thats just how it works. But I get that folks are looking for different things. That’s just my preference.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Rojixus

Rojixus Generation 2's Strongest Soldier

Better these stray characters die now than be wasted as background fodder for years to come.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Also in Bay's DotM.

One criticism of the series and this book is Soundwave's "voice."

He should speak in terse, deliberate phrases. Not really in long sentences/ paragraphs etc.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    I don't really see a difference, now or later, if they're just "stray" anyway.

Eh, personally I'm not a big fan of that. Like, sure it was creppy fun when he spoke like that in the cartoon. But it just doesn't work for me in the comics. Thought I'm biased here, because of Marvel comics (especially UK and how Furman wrote here there). So this is one of the things I like about Skybound Soundwave, he gives me Marvel UK vibes.

• Like Like x 7