Skybound Transformers #7 review thoughts opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nemesisprime1975, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys thought I'd start this thread. No I haven't got it yet but bought mine today from my lcs so waiting for it to post to me.

Should have it Wednesday.

Sorry should be 7. Can mods fix it

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  2. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why don't you just start the thread on Wednesday when it's widely available?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Apologies. It's just I bought it today and can't wait for it to arrive by post. I just thought I'd start a thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oisinrc

oisinrc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering how it's started, how much of the g1 casts are we expecting to see fill out? I could definitely see us getting to G1 Ark crew (minus one major gap) and the decepticons I'm up in the air about - hoping to see the Autobots try to free Skywarp - they're protective of their own, but not enough to be as evil as the cons were to him

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fricknmaniac

Fricknmaniac Well-Known Member

So it doesn't officially come out until tomorrow, so I'll tag everything with spoilers, but I got my copy today. (I was hoping that I would get the FCBD Energon Special as well, since I know shops generally get those waaaaay ahead of time, but no luck for me there.)

I honestly don't think there's a better artist that could have taken over the duties from DWJ than Jorge Corona. It's definitely a different style, but the way it's drawn, it feels like Corona either studied the first six issues significantly, took a lot of input from DWJ, or most likely, both.

The B cover and 1:100 cover:
    Elita (despite appearing on the Ark on the B cover) and Ultra Magnus only appear in flashbacks, so it'll be interesting to see how they set up Elita getting to Earth. She's on the A cover for #8, but the FCBD comes out before then.

The Decepticon fight:
    This absolutely felt like DWJ was still doing the art. The sheer brutality of the fight is incredible (and that's beyond the preview pages that were already released.)

The result of the Decepticon fight:
    Soundwave won, but I don't think we've seen the last Starscream, even with how much damage was done to him... I don't trust any death where the corpse isn't shown. Plus with Megatron being HEAVILY hinted at in issue #8, it seems like Soundwave's reign of the Decepticons is going to be short.

The flashback:
    Plenty of deaths in the flashback. The more I see, the more I think all of these deaths are absolutely going to be permanent for as long as DWJ is writing (hopefully Skybound is smart enough to throw a blank check at him once his 12 issue contract expires.) The cast will always be expanding, but there's such a massive pool to draw from, I don't think they'll ever run out of Transformers which is why they're so casually killing off so many.

The Matrix:
    We haven't seen the last of Sparkplug!

Optimus' and Cliffjumper's state of mind:
    Both made close connectings to Spike and Carly respectively and now both humans don't want anything to do with either of them now. Their reactions continue to show how good the writing is to humanize them.

Teletraan I:
    Even after his own allies ripped him to shreds to repair Teletraan I, Skywarp still prefers being a dick to the Autobots. Too funny.

The final page:
    It's gotta be Aerialbots! They need air support and a combiner to counter Devastator.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Cam a mod change it to 7 from 8. I got mixed up with void rivals

7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok it’s release day, so no spoiler tags. If you’re reading this thread and haven’t read the issue, it’s all on you.

I’m glad the art is consistent. I was a little concerned about that, but it’s all good now.

While it’s annoying that characters are being killed left and right, at least it’s not like IDW and they kill random Micromasters or pretenders or G2 guys for the hell of it. They’re killing 1984-1986 guys, and that takes balls.

Soundwave beating the living shit out of Starscream was great. “You kicked my Ravage” was a great sequel panel to the hilarious PUNT.. Of course, Starscream is just left for dead, so he’ll naturally be back.

Who was the big bot Elita found?

Also, we may get Jetfire back, as Optimus apparently has his parts in a closet. Either that or he’ll use his parts to make the Aerialbots… who knows..

Also it appears Sparky joining the Matrix made him also part of Optimus.. very cool and unexpected.

Another great issue.. I just wish it had less death. If this continuity goes for ten years, a future writer might want to use them and they’d have to go through with a resurrection explanation to do it..

• Like Like x 15
  8. Pointless Plunderer

Pointless Plunderer Well-Known Member

Won't have the chance to read it yet but I'm curious who exactly bites the bullet?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kup, Huffer, and Warpath.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Warpath has always gotten a poor deal in the comics

• Like Like x 7
  11. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn soundwave gave starscream the good old Viltrumite beatdown

• Like Like x 20
  12. Pointless Plunderer

Yeah I wish they would just kill off generics instead

• Like Like x 5
  13. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    They won't as there is no shock value to it. Has to be a recognised name or names.

No star trek red shirts here

• Like Like x 12
  14. Pointless Plunderer

I see what you mean but I think if you kill off a named character it should have a little more impact behind it than just a cheap flashback death. I was fine with the way Bubmlebee was handed but it feels like there's an overreliance on it now.

• Like Like x 12
  15. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Agree. All I can say on it is we knew there were deaths and missing characters and this is their way of showing the fate of some. Even if its just a flashback. I think we will see more of this in future issues.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    This comic continues to pull no punches.

While I understand not liking characters getting killed off when we first see them, however one could view it as fat trimming.

Cause let’s face it, juggling the Transformers cast is a huge task. The less characters to juggle the better. And who knows they might not be dead.

But damn what happened to Ultra Magnus???

Soundwave’s beat down of Starscream though. Someone was taking cues from Animated. And despite the thoroughness of it all clearly Starscream won’t be done that easily.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Nemesisprime1975

News Credits:
    Ah ultra magnus. He's always had a bit of a mixed history in the comics. On the one hand in marvel UK he was cybertrons greatest warrior and was primes first choice to replace him as leader in the animated movie. On the other he never appeared in the original marvel us run before finally turning up in ReGen.

He also seemingly died multiple times in idw continuity and was primes brother in dreamwave.
    Who knows how they will write him here? I haven't read the issue yet.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I don't really view the deaths as deaths unless specified. Seeing how easy it is to repair a Transformer from nothing, I think it can reasonably be argued that if DWJ or any other writer in this universe wants to write someone like Kup, then they'll be able to write about Kup, regardless of the flashback scene. I'm also pretty sure that the body Elita found is indeed Ultra Magnus, and I doubt he's being introduced here just to be introduced as dead.

I do think DWJ draws better action, but his ability to write action is still a huge plus, and the art still did not slouch. The Soundwave and Starscream fight was great, where you really couldn't tell who would come on top at points, even though Soundwave maintained control of the fight throughout. Laserbeak pecking out Starscream's eye might have been something I always wanted to see but didn't know it. Given how damage is pretty much permanent unless repaired we might be getting an eye-patch wearing Starscream, which would be cool. I love the sheer audacity of this Starscream. "I AM WILLING TO FORGIVE THIS BETRAYAL!"

Skywarp messing with the Autobots was great, I knew he'd be back in some form. I liked that scene a lot, both because of Skywarp, and also seeing Wheeljack and some of the other Autobots interact. After how crowded recent Transformers media has felt, it's nice seeing a Beast Wars-sized cast just interact with one another.

• Like Like x 12
  19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

You have to kill named characters otherwise there’s no stakes. I think calling the deaths cheap or for shock value is a weak criticism. If you aren’t afraid a character might die, there’s no tension, no suspense and no investment in the outcome. This is a war comic that centers around battles but no one should die— really?

This was a good breather issue. I dug Soundwave’s beat down of Starscream and Thundercracker explaining “this is our way.” Cliffy’s self doubt was nice. And that weird Optimus/Sparky blend was an interesting surprise— I dig it. It gives Optimus a stronger motivation other than “defeat bad guys because they’re bad.”

Keep truckin’ DWJ.

• Like Like x 16
  20. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Traditional Animator/Storyboard Artist

Im shocked they actually had the balls to kill off that many main stay g1 characters like that, im impressed!

I do hope they keep elita around atleast to explore her and primes relationship but that's just a personal wish.

Really happy how consistent the art style is and how consistently VIOLENT it's been especially with starscreams total beat down and Soundwave actually taking control which is pretty rare.

• Like Like x 6