Skybound Transformers #6 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ThePrime84, Mar 11, 2024.

1. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Why are we Pretending that the matrix is not a mystical object? My guess is he heard it tell him he can do that, or somehow otherwise just knew

• Like Like x 9
  2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally had a chance to read 6, I really am loving this universe so far. I love how dynamic the art is, particularly when they're having fun with the effects (like the block-iron "AW YEAH"). And this Optimus continues to be one of the best in a really short amount of time, more than willing to give everything to defend others, but not made of iron and capable of doubt in the darkest situations. Not a warmonger, but also not afraid of finishing a fight when it needs to be finished. He's such a good balance of the ferocity a warrior needs and the compassion a leader, especially the leader of the Autobots, needs.

And I love this Devastator even if we only saw a little bit of him. I've always had a soft spot for Combiners who are less soldiers and more forces of nature, effectively a walking tornado you unleash on the battlefield, and this Devastator delivers (even if he is capable of taking some orders). Also that he wasn't just invincible by virtue of being a combiner, I like that the individual Autobots were able to do some small bits of damage to him since he's still a Transformer, just a giant one. Optimus putting him out of commission temporarily was a really fun sequence too.

• Like Like x 11
  3. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Yet... Optimus never said the Matrix could devour an organic life to rejuvenate itself (if it REALLY works that way it sounds horrible). Sparky can deduce its function, but if he never saw the Matrix work that way, what good to do the sacrifice even in that dire situation? Being brave is one thing but there seems to miss some logic here.

• Like Like x 4
  4. NextToNoMoney

NextToNoMoney Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus said he used all that's left in there to bring the hospital's power back on (which Sparkplug was present for), and then Ratchet (at multiple points) explains that the Matrix has the potential to take everything from its user in order to heal another (which Sparky probably overheard, seeing as he entered Optimus and Ratchet's conversation, after they were discussing their energy issue).

Also, in this lore, there's a price to be paid in order for the Matrix to be used.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  6. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Agree. There were a lot of narrative leaps in this particular issue. This could be the negative impact of Johnson lifting the aesthetic and pacing of manga, but not allowing the breathing room the lengthier format of manga embraces. I would speculate his writing might improve being the writer only, but considering he's always working on something else - I'm not confident on that.

Happy to see I'm not the only one mildly miffed by Cliffjumper's portrayal in this issue, however I'm glad one of my all time favorite mini-bots got to enjoy some time in the spotlight.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    It doesn’t bother me that cliff Jumper isn’t a hardened killer in this continuity like he was in IDW one. It Highlights how fundamentally different the auto bots and Starscream in particular are. Carly had a great point though, if he hadn’t hesitated they would be in a lot less danger going forward. I mean it almost resulted in her being immediately killed, she has good reason to be pissed. He could’ve at least like shot off Starscream‘s arms and legs or something, he didn’t have to just straight up turn around and not do anything to him

• Like Like x 9
  8. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Do not assume everybody is a slave to this intellectual property.

As an example. These are were the first Transformers comics I read and looked forward to in 19 years. Which was the last time an artist from the larger comic book industry (E.J.Su) worked on the title.

That's the fundamental problem with licensed comics. They sell because of the intellectual property, not because of the talent producing them. Doesn't matter if the product is good, product will sell because it has brand name on cover.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    I’m not assuming anything. I understand that a lot of people are reading this particular series are first time readers. I just happen to of been a fan since 1984, so I know what I know. Cliff Jumper is usually portrayed as being much more aggressive and violent than most of the other Autobots, going back to the first episode of the first cartoon. The way he’s portrayed in this comic is somewhat of a departure, but it’s a welcome one. If he ends up becoming violent and aggressive, I would rather see how it gets to that point

• Like Like x 7
  10. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Also, respectfully, you can’t have it both ways. If this is your first transformers comic in 19 years, don’t go around acting like you have opinions about what came out in the intervening time, you have no exposure to it. As it turns out That very period of time you skipped was when Transformers Comics, for a while at least, elevated into the upper echelon of quality monthly comics in general and started winning awards.

I understand that people are there for the license, but a lot of time so are the artists and writers. Transformers comics tend to be labors of love from longtime fans, and you’re seeing that in this current series as well.

But to address your point, yes, I definitely was more excited about this particular reboot because it has one of the top talents in the entire industry on creative duties. That’s always exciting, no matter what the IP is.

also, I feel like at this point with Comics in particular you’re making a distinction between licensed IP and unlicensed IP that has no real meaning. Because the biggest comics in the world are IP‘s that were developed internally but are way bigger than Comics in general. People don’t need to know anything about DC comics to know about Superman or Batman. At this point marvel comics is more famous from the movies than the actual comics. So it’s just the same as if they were licensed. People going to the Comics by and large aren’t going there because of the creators OR stories, they’re going there because of the IP Yeah, I will buy anything that Greg Rucka writes, but I also buy things because it’s ninja turtles, or Batman, or whatever. And honestly that was always the case, with a few exceptions even as a child I bought comics because Batman was in them, or because it was the transformers that I had seen on TV and had toys of. The only comic I really got into based purely off of what was inside of the comic was Iron Man, because I happen to flip through it in an issue when James Rhodes was in the Iron Man roll and thought it was awesome that there was a black superhero. Then I found out about Tony Stark and loved the character. But even Usagi Yojimbo, I got into that comic because of ninja turtles. Most people buy comics because of the IP. It doesn’t matter whether it’s licensed or not.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are definitely a ton of new readers for this comic. I want to say up front that I am not a Kirkman fanboy. I can't stand TWD or invincible. That said, what Kirkman did with the EU is nothing short of brilliant. It is set up beautifully. We have a 1,2,3 punch with Williamson DWJ and Kirkman on the writing team. All of these guys have their own followings. Go read any comment board that is about comics and not transformers or G.i. Joe. A ton of people are coming into these franchises for the very first time.

• Like Like x 9
  12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

I think that's the case with all mainstream comics. (Outside of blatant creator owned like Frank Miller's Sin City, for instance)

Batman sells because Batman.
    Spiderman sells because Spiderman.
    X-men DOESN'T sell because it's garbage.
    Turtles sell because Turtles.
    You get the idea.

"Big Creator" names are nice and all, but there are very, very few creators that can sell a book on name alone.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    As well they should, these are actually pretty great comics, transformers in particular. One thing I like about the EU is that it’s obviously not just thrown together and ad hoc the way that the Hasbro universe was in IDW. They clearly thought about how all of these things interconnected before publishing anything, and they’re not so inextricably interconnected that you won’t understand what’s happening in one title unless you read all the other ones. That’s good editing and writing

• Like Like x 5
  14. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    That’s even true with big creators at this point. Sin City and 300 are huge smash hits on their own as comics, but how much more did the movie Properties expose those comics to the public? Mark Millar is one of the greatest independent comics creators of all time, But do you think more people watched kick ass because they read the comics, or do you think more people went back and read kick ass because they watched the movie? Hell, even with skybound, who really doesn’t think that The Walking Dead and invincible TV shows are a huge driver of the interest in their unlicensed IP? (They’re licensORS now as well as licensEES). Did you see what happened to the aftermarket value of invincible comics once that show dropped?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

So does the lack of Frenzy mean he's actually dead? Optimus basically curb stomping him last issue looked like it could have killed, but it's hard to say

• Like Like x 8
  16. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

What makes you say that X-Men doesn't sell? It's been selling great over the last half decade, and people are very excited for Deadpool 3 and X-Men 97

• Like Like x 5
  17. Wild Bill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mabye frenzy was supposed to be there in a few scenes, but was accidentally colored blue.

• Like Like x 10
  18. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read it again this morning, I can't believe I'm enjoying this comic so much. I tried to get in with IDW, and it wasn't for me, for various reasons. Tried with IDW 2, but stopped after the 1st issue. Skybound is perfect for me, the right mix of crazy action (and sound effects!) and story. I for the most part dislike the whole 6 issue writing for trade that comics do; i feel it forces writers to sometimes stretch out things for much longer than they should go (see: anything by Brian Michael Bendis). Never felt like that with this comic, it's been a blast! I hope it keeps up the momentum.

9fbeb7779d87586b7c600200f5355c2e9a0dc4038950eb1716a428fa0ce3337a~2.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  19. Pointless Plunderer

Pointless Plunderer Well-Known Member

I think it would probably take more than that, than again he is small so I don't know.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Wild Bill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you notice that your sound effect was in the comic? 20240316_182454.jpg

• Like Like x 15