Skybound feels stale

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimus prime, May 4, 2024.

1. Grimus prime

Grimus prime Active Member

This might be considered the incorrect opinion to have, but the Energon Universe has begun to feel kinda boring. Obviously we’re still very early in its run, so things could change any time. However for all the unique ideas it presents, it honestly feels like Hasbro’s seriously holding it back.

Now look, I’m actually okay with G.I. Joe crossing over with Transformers, cause at least it’s done more naturally. My issue stems from a number of them:

How many times do we gotta see Arcee, Wheeljack, and Ratchet before people finally realize they’re overused? How many times does G1 get referenced and abused like an ex-girlfriend who can’t stop stalking you? And lastly, to emphasize the point even further, how many times is Megatron gonna be built up as this ultimate threat before we finally see him kick ass?

Am I going crazy here? Probably, but surely I can’t be the only one who sees it!

• Like Like x 6
  2. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Well, if putting in a lot of minor characters and write a space soap opera is considered "not stale", the sales figures beg to differ. What I see these years, is that TF is an IP currently in ICU beyond saving, and most of the people who still care about the story are the 80s who would appreciate another ark crashing on earth at most.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're crazy. We're like seven or eight months in. That far into IDW, we only had the first mini and maybe Spotlight Shockwave. That far into IDW 2 and we had 14 issues that could have just as easily been six issues where nothing happened.

I think you're a bit impatient, perhaps. Now, if it's not to your taste, it's fine. I don't like Void Rivals or the GI Joe tie in stuff. But to say it's stale? Yeah, that's silly.

• Like Like x 21
  4. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

alright, so I can see your issue with overusing characters, but this early in a run, you have to use bots people are familiar with, and after a few years, then you can throw in randos like Take-Off or Heave

as for referencing G1, that is admittedly overdone, but people like it (in other words, it sells well), and it's a good way to set up a story

lastly, building up someone as an ultimate threat is how you write a villain, for crying out loud
    not even the first mini

Infiltration #0 came out on October 19th, then issue 1 released in January; by this time in the IDW1 years, we had 4 issues (5 counting #0) and were waiting for issue 5 to released on the 31st (and Spotlight: Shockwave released in September 2006)

so yeah, we've gotten plenty of material for this series compared to IDW1 and IDW2, buddy

• Like Like x 15
  5. Grimus prime

I’m not against using bots people are familiar with, but I’d rather see faces nobody typically expects to find. Like if IDW didn’t use Nightbeat for a spotlight issue first then have him become a recurring character throughout the comics, would you honestly have known about him? Remember, the Marvel comic long since ceased publication, so only a few ever knew of him.

What’s important here is that we diversify our roster, getting characters nobody would expect coming in. Like Seawatch, Dogfight, Sunrunner, Nightracer, etc.

I know it’s early, but that’s no excuse for laziness.

• Like Like x 6
  6. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

I mean… I wouldn’t say they’re being lazy

I’d say they’re keeping things simple for at least a year

Both IDW comics (1 more than 2 tho since 2 was trying to sell Siege toys lol) started off with casts comprised of familiar faces (the only ones that may not have been familiar were the Battlechargers), and even the Spotlights were of largely familiar faces outside of Nightbeat and possibly Sixshot

Then, for Escalation and Devastation, they brought in a few unique bots like Hardhead and Jhiaxus before giving us less popular and (later on, around LSotW and phase 2) obscure characters during the middle and final years

• Like Like x 7
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As odd as it may seem, I think Hasbro has been pretty unrestrictive. I mean, compare what they have let Skybound do as opposed to what they let IDW do. They censored All Hail Megatron, to Mike Costa he couldn't kill bumblebee, and forced in combiner wars. They are pretty loose with sky bound.

• Like Like x 11
  8. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I mean I don’t gel with it, but stale?

With the speed and way they are working the character of Prime plus the strain on the team seems like a real change of pace while the carnage keeps a lot on their toes.

• Like Like x 6
  9. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Don’t forget the return of Nightbeat and abrupt spotlight moments for Crosscut and Tankor in Dark Cybertron lol

• Like Like x 4
  10. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    My guy, we’re not even in double-digit issues yet with the main TF comic. The first trade hasn’t even dropped. This is like saying “this new show feels stale” two episodes in.

Relax.

• Like Like x 13
  11. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Let’s not forget that it hasn’t even been a year since the comic started

• Like Like x 9
  12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Yes.

How many fanchises have such a multitude of A-list characters? Very few.

It's like you're complaining about Cap, Iron Man, Hulk etc in a new Avengers comic.

It's about sales. People love those characters. Why be surprised they're present?

TF is evergreen because of those characters.

The fact they're executed so well is exciting to the entire industry.

• Like Like x 19
  13. IGEBM

IGEBM A Loremaster

Yeah

Like, if you were a person with the most basic of Transformers knowledge and saw issue 1 of this series at your local store with unfamiliar faces like, say, Rollout and Leyland, would you really buy it?

• Like Like x 14
  14. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

I can understand wanting to see something different, but using or referencing G1 isn't a bad thing. It's the source material of the franchise and it's not going to go away. And clearly, people are enjoying this G1-style story given how well it's been selling. Wouldn't say that it's being "abused".
    No. You just don't like the comic and it's bugging you.

• Like Like x 13
  15. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    I wouldn't exactly call it stale, but it's not the epic game-changing saga some people hype it up as, either. For better or worse, it's a well-done story marketed on nostalgia and familiarity, and so far that seems to be working. Hopefully the comic continues to be a success, and one day we can get some ambitious, deep-lore stories built on a solid foundation.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Grimus prime

And that’s the issue here. Even if Skybound has free rein to do whatever they want, they’ll probably just revert to doing what’s been done before. The first six issues were just the Marvel comic, Dreamwave, and live action movies smashed together. Was it bad? No, I personally liked it.

But after much deliberation, I started to fully realize the comic’s flaws: that being its status as a work of passion held back by mandates of some sort.

Those mandates being the brand unification strategy, which has sucked all the creativity of this franchise that it once prided itself on utilizing for every new iteration.

Am I seriously falling on deaf ears here?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    If possible give it more time before fully giving up on it, as others have pointed out it's still just beginning and setting the foundation for whats to come. G.I. Joe isn't even properly established yet in-universe, there's still a lot left to come I'm assuming.

But hey, you may still not end up vibing with it as much as others here like myself are... and that's fine. Don't force yourself to read it if you just aren't as into it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, sorry, have to call this one out; while looking back over the breadth of history, the use of Nightbeat in early IDW might stand out due to how little attention he's received elsewhere, *back at the time* there was absolutely nothing new or revelatory about Nightbeat getting a big role in a Simon Furman Transformers comic. He was well known as one of Furman's favourites (who had just had a starring role in another Furman comic cut short by Dreamwave's cancellation), and was a totally safe, predictable choice for a character the writer would choose to focus on when building a new universe.

Brand synergy is a real thing, but it's not why Daniel Warren Johnson is writing about Optimus Prime and Cliffjumper. He's not here to reinvent Transformers and build a far-reaching new epoch - you can tell from how casually he's killing major characters in the background, this isn't being done with thought to the future. He's here to tell a cool story in the classic mould in his style with the characters he likes, before he peaces out in what's I think is quite likely to be very short order, because he's too massive a talent to spend very long working on a licensed book.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 22
  19. Grimus prime

Except brand energy is the reason why everything looks so similar now. It’s ruining creativity on a massive scale, and I’m tired of seeing the same old designs over and over again. If that’s too difficult to understand, then I apologize for my vagueness.

Also, Johnson has every right to write the characters he likes similarly to what Furman did. Except here, I can kinda tell something’s wrong from the get-go, likely from how certain things are done.

Firstly, I never saw a hint of Arcee in the ark yet there she is all of a sudden. I read the first and second issue to make sure, and didn’t find a single pink piece. Why is she here? Because she’s everywhere, that’s why. It’s annoying seeing her again, and I want her to finally go.

Secondly, Elita-one yet again makes another appearance. Is she a bad character to reappear? No, she definitely deserves it after being neglected for so long. But does it excuse seeing her guerrilla war on Cybertron AGAIN for the third time in a row? NO. It’s gotten old, and I’m tired of seeing it.

Lastly, Megatron is being built up as the ultimate threat YET AGAIN. I understand you need him to be threatening, but you could just depict him as threatening from his very first scene. Early IDW did this by putting him on Earth from word-go, then swiftly dealing with Starscream after the latter tried to usurp him. Hell, Armada did the exact same thing only there he teleported to High-wire’s location and chased him alongside the kids.

My point is Skybound’s doing what Transformers has done before and it’s seriously getting annoying. It may be early, but that’s no excuse for laziness.

Period.

20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    No offense OP but a lot of what I'm reading sounds like a problem on your end rather than with the books themselves. :/

• Like Like x 13