Skybound’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: March 2024

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Fjall

Fjall Well-Known Member

thank you. I have no idea what any of this means. I think I missed the boat unfortunately. I should have started issue one but I didn't.

2. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first trade paperback is releasing in like two weeks if you do want to catch up on it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fjall

Fjall Well-Known Member

oh definitely!! thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 4
  4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Man I hope Hasbro does some toy tie-ins with these comics.

Let’s get a skybound toy imprint - maybe some Human Alliance style figures of the main cast with some of the void rival and joe characters, then some 6 inch versions of the void rival cast.

Include a comic with some figures to entice new readers to check the comics out.

let’s get an Optimus with a megatron arm damnit

edit: o-rings are an answer that I’d be happy with, instead of human alliance. Use the existing transformers/ gi joe crossover line, but proceed with the skybound designs and include the main characters from all the different lines.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. All of this. Do it. Do it now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

A clean reading order isn't really possible at the moment. Everything happening in the TRANSFORMERS series is on a very short timeline - a day or two, really.

VOID RIVALS isn't really tied in with events on earth, so it could have all happened long ago - all depends how long it takes Jetfire to get to Earth.

Meanwhile, in the DUKE series, there's a time-skip that takes us months after the events in the TF series.

And then in the COBRA COMMANDER series, I don't think we actually know how far in the past it could be happening. Months? Years? Or maybe concurrent?

So any reading order would probably require you to read whole series before or after others... not just individual issues.

As for how they are connected, all the stories are separate. However, the Transformers being on Earth are at the center of every series except VOID RIVALS (so far)... though I'm expecting that eventually it will be revealed that Everything Is Connected.

For what it's worth, DUKE is an entertaining enough read, although it's not my preferred kind of Joe story.

VOID RIVALS I'm enjoying for its own sake. The Tranfsormers cameos are cute, but I don't need them to become any more central. I like the idea of a space opera unfolding in a shared universe that isn't necessarily tied up with Cybertron (though I'm sure that won't stay the case for long)

TRANSFORMERS I'm enjoying for now. I like the breathless pace and desperate atmosphere. I don't know if they'll be able to maintain it though.

COBRA COMMANDER I don't much care for... and that's really mainly because it's premised on one of my least-favourite parts of the inferior GIJOE toon canon - Cobra-La. It honestly kind of poisons any interest I have in what Kirkman & co are doing here. Fudge that ship. Fudge that ship right in the ear.

zmog

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Q Prime

News Credits:
    I’d say Cobra Commander is set roughly concurrently with Duke, I.e. some time after the first few issues of TFs. Seeing as in TF#5 we see Megatron frozen in ice, I assume it must happen before CC moved him to Cobra La, since at the start of his story he’s been experimenting for some time. This would also put us on track for a GIJoe ongoing to pick up right where the miniseries left off.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why is Boba Fett wearing a triangle graduation hat on his helmet? :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. SMOG

Not sure if that shot of Megatron was a concurrent cutaway or a thematic one. We also aren't given a clear idea of how long Megatron had been experimenting with Megatron. Seems like he's had him for a while.

I'm sure we'll get a firm clue in the next couple of issues, though.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  10. Q Prime

News Credits:
    Perhaps, but I think it would make more sense for it to teasing Megatron's current status at that point. Plus, it would make more sense for Megatron to have been lost in ice and found by CC than for him to have been lost elsewhere, picked up by CC, and then later somehow getting into ice. However, yes, these things will likely be explained in future issues.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this is wrong timeline wise but I'm reading VR 1 to 6 then transformers 1 to 3, duke1, transformers 4, Duke 2 and then transformers 5 and 6 then void rivals 7 then Duke 3 lol.

It's really messy imo

12. 1SecondNinja

1SecondNinja Well-Known Member

They seem to be hyping up Proximus for the new Void Rivals arc despite him being a new character. I hope they put their money where there mouth is and the writing really sells him; TF and Joe have been absolutely killing it with their villains and I'd like to see VR follow suit, as so far, despite the praise I have for it, it's the weakest of the 3 series so far and needs to really step up, so strong characters will definitely have to carry the series.

I like the design of Proximus so far and the covers are really selling me of the environment of VR and the new arc, which I'm excited to read; Again, just don't wanna be disappointed, especially since Kirkman already had so many good villains under his belt from Invincible

13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm the opposite. I've never cared for G.I. Joe comics and the movie is my favorite bit of Joe fiction, and I loved Cobra-La, so them showing up was a home run for me. I could hear Burgess Meredith's voice coming out of Golobulus...

• Like Like x 3
  14. SMOG

No, I think Megatron was lost in the ice during the original crash of the Ark, which was a long, long time ago. There was nothing to indicate that the icebound Megatron was anywhere near the Ark's crash site.

Since we're talking about a spaceship crash, potentially with an open hull, Megatron could have fallen to earth separately and landed very far away (not sure where Cobra-La is located, but could be the arctic circle, or Alaska), while the main part of the Ark landed in Oregon.

So that leaves a very broad span of time wherein Cobra-La could have discovered Megatron's body in the ice. Could have been a month ago, could have been 10 years.

Yeah, as comic readers, we're used to stitching together broken-up storylines and stuff. At the same time, reading all 3 series concurrently isn't that intuitive. I'm thinking that the best reading order will probably only emerge once they have trade paperbacks. Assuming every storyline falls into a tidy 6-issue arc, it'll likely be better to read them in blocks - Void Rivals / Transformers / Cobra Commander / Duke

I enjoyed watching the Joe cartoons as a kid, but I think the comics were better. I felt like I actually learned stuff reading them. I just don't think GIJOE is a great scifi property. It was fundamentally military pulp action, and that tended to get lost with all the mutants, giant robots, and red & blue lasers. :) 

The comic plots were still exaggerated and cartoonish, but they were also grounded in a version of the real world that was very particular to the geopolitics and trends of the 1980s. I think that Larry Hama (the creator of the modern GIJOE fiction) captured something rather unique with his Marvel run. By comparison, the cartoon felt outlandish in more generic cartoon way. But then... I think the division between Joe comics fans and Joe toon fans has always been pretty common in that fandom.

zmog

15. SquawkingtheTalk

SquawkingtheTalk Getting accused on the astrotrain express

Has there ever been a story where hot rod has just been thrusted into leadership? He was only a good leader because of Magnus and his guidance so it would be weird and cool to have a hot rod find it all out for himself

16. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    I would argue it was like that in the 86 movie.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I'm not mistaken, his IDW Spotlight issue is about his first field command.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SquawkingtheTalk

I would argue against that, because he was never thrown into a position of leadership until the very end of the film but even then he stopped unicron and essentially the war for like 2 weeks so he wouldn’t be in the position to go through the motions immediately throughout the entire film someone was guiding him first Magnus then Kup then Magnus again so he wasn’t even leading anyone (hell even wheelie was leading)

19. SquawkingtheTalk

In a sense yes, but I refer to him becoming leader of the autobots and figuring it all out himself with no help whatsoever

20. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah, every time Rodimus is leader, there's an older bot there to advise him. I think the closest thing to that idea with any character is Optimus Primal in Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 1