Skybound’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: January 2024

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by omegafix, Oct 20, 2023.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Quoted for truth. IDW had some great stuff. But if I wanted to recommend it to a friend, I had to include a truly arcane reading order document not only for things to make sense, but to steer them around the garbage.

For the record, I'm not sure the strictly chronological order they tried to apply in the IDW collections is the best approach... it sort of felt like they did that after they gave up trying to figure out a coherent narrative flow that included everything.

15% less philosophical brooding, 100% more pro wrestling moves. :) 

IDW occasionally got it right, but usually when they were depicting his pre-Prime days as Orion Pax.

I think this Prime is actually in line with the IDW version, which also follows the Furman Marvel tradition of portraying Optimus as morose, reactive, depressive, and self-sacrificing to the point of being suicidal. He feels less inspirational and more like a punching bag.

On the other hand, he did rip off his own arm and beat Skywarp to (near) death with it, so that's got to count for something.

I still have to check out the GIJOE titles. The idea of Cobra Commander keeping Megatron in his basement isn't that much of a big reveal / surprise, is it? It sort of feels like literally every TF series, movie, or show since Dreamwave has pulled a similar move in the past. There's always SOME shadowy government or paramilitary organization revealed to have a big Decepticon hidden in a bunker for Nefarious Purposes (tm). It's a pretty old trope now.

I suppose if you go back to Marvel's G2 comics, GIJOE would have been the original guys to be rebuilding Megatron in their basement! :lol 

I would say the writing is nothing special so far. It doesn't sparkle, but it moves along at least. There's something about the unfolding of the plot that's different too... with this isolated Oregon community under siege, it's no longer about wholesale destruction, or Thundercracker wiping half of China or whatever they were doing in AHM. It's a very local scale, and it feels like it's happening in the kind of small town that every 80s movie seems to take place in. This is Transformers by way of Red Dawn, or Tremors, or... Gremlins?

I think the art IS exceptional, in the truest sense of the word. We don't get Transformers stories told like this very often. This is really a story-in-pictures approach, and I don't think I've ever seen a TF comic with this degree of dynamism and breathless panel-to-panel action. It is quite different.

Part of this is because Transformers comics have become (and perhaps always were) very talky, and the artists of the genre were often so caught up with the intense detail of the characters that they lost a lot of the movement and expression. I think some people might get hung up on the raw cartooniness of the art (and it occasionally does oversimplify forms, I find), but other than the pure action, there's also a good panel flow, and lots of dramatic perspective, and cinematic composition and lighting, and a strong attention to conveying scale*

*Which is not to say that Johnson is consistent with scale - he's as idiosyncratic as any other TF artist, but he always makes you very aware of the size and power differential. It feels like you are experiencing a lot of the comic from a ground-level "human" perspective, but it's not just a bunch of low-angle shots of Transformers standing around like Figueroa used to do. These things are in motion and you have to watch out. They're are size of a house and they're doing power bombs.

I think the small picture is focusing on the dirty lines or how Prime or Soundwave looks flat in one frame or another. But the big picture is something else, I think.

So I'm liking it so far. However, I think there's a strong chance that I will lose a lot of interest when Johnson hands the art chores to someone else. They might be fine, but it will change the feeling.

zmog

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WreckerImpactor

WreckerImpactor Well-Known Member

People saying the art for this is bad has the same smell as those people that say something with simple character designs is poorly animated (when simpler designs facilitates greater animation quality).

So much of IDW was literally just traced over toys that it was honestly embarrassing. At least DJW uses a Magic Square prime as a reference not a template for tracing.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    fr tho, this looks like crap
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Optimax Prime

Optimax Prime The 14th Prime

Fort Optimax (which is more than meets the eye)
    And then replaced it with Megatron's complete with Fusion Cannon

• Like Like x 3
  5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

That was, in fact, a twist.

I always felt like Megatron's Fusion Cannon was just a conduit for his internal firepower capabilities, so it feels slightly weird to me, but I'm happy to run with it.

I don't think that actually describes the vast majority of IDW's art. Some artists do use specific toys as their character models, but I can't think of any really egregious cases of tracing.

OUCH. WTF? I assume that's just IDW trying to kick some Transformers collected content out the door without actually spending any money on it, since they lost the license... ?

DWJ clearly isn't tracing anything. His stuff seems to be based mostly right off the Sunbow models, with a few embellishments. Plus, he likes giving a lot of characters rounded legs instead of geometric ones.

zmog

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Wow, I have been out of the loop. What is this series? Anyone have a link that explains the project?

7. Optimax Prime

a new Transformer Comic that is decidedly G1 in appearance and setting and Transformers (2023 comic) - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

9. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a smaller cast. Anything is possible. A gritty take on g1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Optimax Prime

and just one part of a whole interconnected Universe that Hasbro is making

11. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed but I'm only interested in one part.

• Like Like x 1