Skybound’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: April 2024

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Star Saber, Jan 11, 2024.

1. War Crime Prime

War Crime Prime Time to find out.

I had to read the thread to be reminded this is Corona and not Johnson. So far so good! Absolutely a good stylistic match. A reader doing a full read thru so far without knowing about the artist change wouldn't be jarred at all. Glad to see it!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Captain

Captain Trust me, I’m the best.

So far so good. The art and story is exactly what we are looking for as readers. 

• Like Like x 3
  3. War Crime Prime

War Crime Prime Time to find out.

I have a tendency to agree with you. Listen, there are artists who can definitely do both, probably a small handful and probably mostly Japanese but they exist.

We're just not gonna get that in a $4-$5 a month regular American comic book. It's too premium.

So we have to choose what's more important:

Super high levels of technical detail, but with stilted action and extremely busy artwork, like you said.

Or we could have simpler more straightforward models like this with a talented art team making each page bleed with intensity and kinetic action.

Transformers 2023 has such a sense of energy and motion to it, I love it.

I think we're eating real good these days folks and anyone complaining about the art or the story are just sour Squidwards.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We kind of knew from the beginning he was only drawing the first 6 issues, this is nothing new. He was pulling double duty.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Captain

Captain Trust me, I’m the best.

Agree we already knew this was going to happen. Some books only get a couple of issues of the same writer. He will be back.

• Like Like x 4
  6. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Exactly. He was open early-on about the fact that he was only illustrating the initial 6 issues.

7. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing I have to say is… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES
    IMG_0714.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    We just need a cartoon series where Starscream is the Kenny of South Nemesis and just keeps getting owned over and over.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

I was worried when I heard that DWJ was leaving art duties, but after seeing this on Twitter I think we're gonna be fine. This shit's gorgeous
    Screenshot_20240314-165200.png
    Also, that vertical splash from yesterday's issue? Mwah, perfection

• Like Like x 13
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Starscream's definitely been long overdue for a punch to the face after all he's done.

Soundwave's been pretty restrained with him but now it seems like the gloves are off.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol. "Story is cut and dried." Far from it. There is very little "cut and dried" in this comic. Also, past there first issue, there really isn't that much "been here before".

The Artist is being replaced because he has been doing double duty. Also, he doesn't typically do stories that are longer than 12 issues.

As for the character deaths, why does it matter if the general audience knows who they are? Bumblebee and jet fire's deaths were there to set the tone, not be an emotional string puller. Kinda like the early deaths of minor characters in "Jurassic Park" and "Indiana Jones."

This panel gives me Geoff senior vibes.

• Like Like x 6
  12. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd say it's more common with manga, manwha and European graphic novels these days, not that there aren't plenty amazing, mind-blowingly maximalist comic book artist out there (All the issues of Immortal Hulk I've read look excellent). There are a few that manage to creat crazy detailed stuff that still have crazy good flow and readability, like Kentaro Miura's Berserk, tough in his case the drawback was having to wait crazy long times for new material (durint the tail end of Berserk we were lucky if we got 4 chapters per year). With how overworked and underpaid both the average mangaka and comic book artist is, it's difficult to have your cake and eat it too.

While I know AI is a sensitive topic, as it could either be a great tool for actual artists or just a means of automatized plagiarism, but it could come very handy for smaller indie artists to train them on their own art style. In the case of mangas done by smaller or indie studios that either lack funds or work on crazy tight schedules I often see the artist trace over photographs (or eve just give it a photoshop filter) instead of drawing them themselves. While it's understandable given the circumstances, I think having AI trained on your own style prompt up a background still could have more personality than just putting in a filtered picture. Ideally, of course one would want to draw everything themselves, but that's not always possible. Personally, while I'm a hobbyist at best, in case I didn't have the time to either draw my background from scratch or at least trace over 3D models in a semi-artful, not too blatant way, I'd rather have a personalized AI do it than use filtered pictures. Training AI on other people's art and advertizing it as my own, now that's a different story.

ARGH, right in the cockpit!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Very clever the different covers show different outcomes.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KodyCrimson

KodyCrimson Resident Titans Return fan

YouTube (Custom URL):
    Yeah and unlike Prime it wasn't a cheap way to make the series seem more mature than it really is. This has committed to it from what I've seen so far.
    Plus they
    offed the Bee himself AND made sure he's DEAD, probably the boldest move in Transformers media yet, especially after the fake-outs in the films.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Soundwave is a parent who's kid was just fucked with - Starscream didn’t have a prayer.

SkyI-TF-i7-001.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Woah, check out this cover!
    Ultra Magnus!
    I realize this is just a variant and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it is cool to see him show up on a cover
    0224IM318.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  17. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep finally soundwave shows his tough side.

• Like Like x 5
  18. NextToNoMoney

NextToNoMoney Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

Mixmaster: "awwwww sheit"
    Rumble: :D 

Screenshot_20240315_082924_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  20. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Hmmmm…. I’m actually worried about Soundwave. Starscream is VICIOUS and underhanded and still has an intact Null Ray. Soundwave should have headshotted him.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 4