Skip SS 86 jazz and other clear plastic figs, let me explain

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AJthecybermon64, Feb 23, 2021.

1. AJthecybermon64

AJthecybermon64 Autobot maintenance and wellbeing officer

I was looking throw YouTube and when I saw the community tab for the lazy eyebrow and it was about SS 86 jazz whole car roof was broke and it turns out it is made by clear plastic, I just wanted to warn you about that as well as say skip most figures using clear plastic in general, the clear plastic is horrible and which is why I hope they stop using clear plastic, and I got a feeling a lot of people were mad at some of those figures braking but if there is a good reason I may or may not understand but im passing on it, the quality of these latest toys have gone down dramatically so I suggest skipping a lot of transformers figures using clear plastic and it sucks because there now making transformer characters that most of us thought we would never see again and it bites, again this is just a warning and these are my thoughts I'm not going to stop you from getting that jazz figure, yes I know the you know what may be response but that doesn't pass the fact of making bad quality figures especially ones of rare characters like double dealer and run-a-muck and run-a-bout are OK to release into the public, again this is just a warning as well as a suggestion, you don't have to take it seriously these are my thoughts and you can ignore me I I'm OK with that, I hope you have a good rest of the day and stay safe during these hard times

• Like Like x 3
  2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone is particularly surprised by breakages such as this. Translucent plastic has been known to be more brittle than standard plastics for quite some time (at least a decade), and people are being more careful as more and more figures have significant chunks of their body made out of it. One of the earliest figures I remember having this issue was TFTM2007 Brawl, and the translucent gears inside his chest were very susceptible to breaking and completely gutting his automorph feature.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Sorry to burst your bubble dude but the last three G1 Jazz figures all have had clear plastic roof pieces. It was a known issue on the POTP figure and RtS Jazz has a clear roof and even 3mm bar mounts molded into the clear door windows for the stereo speakers.

Its just cheaper for the whole piece to be made out of clear plastic and paint applied onto it than a solid plastic part with smaller translucent pieces.

Yeah, the translucent gearing on Deluxe TFTM Brawl was bullshit (though weirdly mine was bought secondhand and his gears are absolutely fine, though I haven't transformed him in like, five years) and I suspect was purely an economical choice to fill out the translucent plastic sprue on the production line, as otherwise he only has light piped eyes and the missile.

• Like Like x 10
  4. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's "the lazy eyebrow"?

5. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTuber and member here

6. michaelbird

michaelbird Well-Known Member

So skip clear plastic. And punctuation.

• Like Like x 48
  7. AJthecybermon64

Lazy eyebrow a transformer reviewer over on YouTube

8. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gonna skip that wall of text and just say whatever. Molded clear plastic under regular plastic is best (like Netflix bumblebee), but I've never had a breakage of clear plastic.

• Like Like x 19
  9. Gallade

Gallade HSR and Transformers Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Thank you for wishing us to stay safe, at least that was nice of you. But, I’m just going to say I ignored the warning and bought him anyways. I also bought Runamuck, Runabout, and Doubledealer. I think they’re all fine figures, except Doubledealer could be a little taller but that’s my opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  10. AJthecybermon64

It happens to some people, it happens when you noticed when the plastic started showing stress marks on some joints or panels and with to much stress will brake off, your one of the lucky ones that didn't happen yet
    I respect that and I don't mind you do you I'm not trying to stop you Its more of just a heads up and I got carry away as it became a full on rant

• Like Like x 2
  11. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got through the first few, uh, sentences (?) and just couldn’t do it.

I cringe to think what a year of pandemic “education” has done.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  12. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think some later copies had the gears be changed to regular plastic, so you may have one of those variants.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    but the whole thing is a sentence!

• Like Like x 14
  14. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definition gonna heed the warning but I just I know I won't be able to stay away from Jazz. Also for the re it's I really wish they'd stop using clear plastic. I learned about clear plastic after I got mirage

15. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I appreciate the heads up on the clear plastic. Mine is already incoming from Amazon but I did see some pics of this very issue on Twitter a few hours ago. I don't know if this is the very same Jazz/poster that the OP is referencing but I have decided to hold off on my Toy Hax order with the upgrade decals until I have a chance to have SS Jazz in hand and see for myself. :) 

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Just checked and you're right - they're solid red and not translucent.

Now I don't have to worry about him self-destructing, awesome. Thanks!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. To the OP: Take a breath, relax and use punctuation and complete sentences. I was worried you were gonna blow an O-ring by the end of that.

• Like Like x 8
  18. AJthecybermon64

Yeah I'm not going to stop you it was more of a heads start but I got carried away as it evolved into more of a rant

• Like Like x 1
  19. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would re-buy all of Earthrise if they released with a plain black or dark blue plastic for the windshields. At the same time, I'm not going to pass on a figure for using clear plastic but I will transform them less often and more carefully.

• Like Like x 5
  20. AJthecybermon64

Yeah I think I should have, I'm not good when it comes to sentences

I'm not going to stop you, these are my opinions, it was more of a warning but I got carried away as it evolved into a rant

Yeah, it was more of a warning but I just got ticked off, my dad (I'm in my final semester in high school) only shops on amazon and doesn't trust any other site but amazon which does suck because most of the time the figure I want is not available or to expensive which does suck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2