Size Class Names?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tef, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Tef

Tef Well-Known Member

So I'm only wondering, Why the names given to the Size Class?

I know there is a Size Class wiki: Size class - Transformers Wiki

But nothing mentions... WHY the names given to the size classes... like why the smaller ones are called LEGENDS, why the middle one are called DELUXE, and bigger one are called VOYAGER...

I kinda understand the Masterpiece name class... 'cuz they are "masterpieces" i guess.. LOL...

But why Legends? a Legend is a mytho/story...
    Why Deluxe? Should be meant for a luxury item... but they most certainly not all feel luxurious...
    Voyager? They have nothing to do with traveling...

Just wondering... ;-)

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Sending over to the TF Toy Discussion forum.....

3. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

A lot of the size classes currently in use are holdovers from older taxonomies that were more interconnected. Like the way Voyager was used during Cybertron when the classes were revamped to align with starship sizes and/or exploratory themes. Others are just used because they sound good to a marketing executive when setting price points (mega, ultra, supreme).

I've always suspected we call Legends as such because no one wants to call it "the cheapest size", "the dinkiest size", or "Mom and dad love your older brothers and sisters more, so your interests are only worth five dollars to them."

4. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    That's harsh :lol 

5. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Legends is a short version of it's original name, Legends of Cybertron

6. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Well sure, if you want to be all correct and stuff...

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Why do they call deluxes in RiD15 warrior? That makes no sense when in CW their deluxes and are the same price & size!?

8. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe because it's targeted at a younger audience, kids like hearing 'Warrior' instead of 'Deluxe'. Just a guess.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    "Deluxe" made a whole lot more sense back when the small figures were called "Basics" and were more fully part of the mainline. Kinda odd now since Deluxes are the standard figure and the smaller scales are basically just repeats of the larger ones.

Personally I like the names that sound like ranks -- Legion, Commander, Scout, Voyager, Leader, etc. -- it immediately gives a figure some sense of character.
    Plus... Mega, Ultra, Supreme all sound the same. Big.

10. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Legends -> A newish class (and upgraded pricepoint). named because although it features too scale characters like Bombshell, originally featured classic "legends" at a small size scale (first waves were Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumlbebee). I think they'd like to eventually do most major "legendary" G1 characters at this scale.

Deluxe -> A holdover from Beast Wars. Deluxe was $10 price point and the "meat" of the line that had most of the "normal" sized characters. It was in contrast to the $5 Basic size (which got you a lot more bang for the buck). Basic and Deluxe Sold on cards. This was the default "non-budget priced" size ever since. Toys on cards hanging on racksdon't get bigger than this in transformers. Anything larger is in a box.

Voyager - The name is a hold over from Cybertron, when "Voyagers" were mostly Space-ships or star fighters. It was $20 (compared to Deluxe's $10 at the time). Voyager's size has changed since Cybertron. There used to be a step between "Voyager" and "Leader" called "Ultra". Several lines had some variation of "Deluxe at $10", "Voyager at $20" "Ultra (or something" at $25) and maybe something at $30, before Leader at $40. Due to rising oil prices (which makes plastic), shrinking and variable transforme sizes and the desire to simplify the line overall, price and class moved around, so Voyager went from being $20 to $25, and acts as the only step between the $13->15->$17 deluxes and Leader. From a toy point of view, it makes quite a lot of sense nowdays: Legends are Small Characters (Bombshell), Deluxes are "cars" and normal sized characters, Voyagers are larger characters in fiction compared to the Deluxes, and Leaders are the huge characters like Jetfire.

Leader - Was first used in Energon and used in every line since. It was originally meant to apply to Megatron/Galvatron and Optimus... the "faction leader". In the absence of a large class between it and Voyager, has come to encompass most "large" characters. It's worth noting that an Energon, Cybertron or Movie 1 "Leader" had a lot more Mass than a modern Generations Leader. This is due to line consolidation, oil prices, market forces and so forth. Frankly they probably just figure people will pay for a $40 leader nowdays even though it may have been a $25 Ultra 8 years ago (Universe comes to mind in particular here).

Titan - the New size, in reference to what Metroplex is in IDW fiction. Also useful because it's the largest, most expensive Transformers ever (over $100). Previous biggest-in-lines were typically called Supreme or Ultimate, and they were at the $50 price point with a handful of exceptions as high as $90.

11. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

Sig'd and also Freaking savage

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It kiiinda makes sense, because complexity-wise NuRiD "warriors" are somewhere between legends/legions and "regular" Generations deluxes.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

legends were meant to be smaller versions of the bigger toys, the deluxe, ultra, and voyager figures, at a cheaper price. and usually really simplified.

Basics were what legends are now. they were bigger, in most cases, more complicated, and usually revolved around a gimmick during the unicron trilogy. basics during armada, were all minicons. energon had the energon weapons. cybertron was different though.

then there are deluxe figures. they are meant to be bigger, and slightly more complicated. and so on, all the way to supreme, where you get to unicron and primus. voyager and ultra, you usually had lights and sound gimmicks. in fact, i believe most of the unicron trilogy does have some kind of sound and lights gimmick from voyager all the way to supreme. including leader class.

leader class was originally supposed to just be leader figures. but that has now changed. now it's mostly just large bumblebees. and people complaining that blackout isn't leader class. even though, he isn't a leader. thus he shouldn't be a leader class figure. nor should bulkhead. but they did it anyways.

thus breaking the meaning of the class to begin with. leader class is too small for blackout and lugnut though. if you wanted proper scaling, they should of been supreme class.

but no, we got giant bumblebees to fill that instead.

because we never have enough bumblebees on that shelf.

14. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I miss the mega size. it was in between deluxe and voyager and had more features. Like BW Scorponok.

15. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss the days of AEC when the size classes weren't usually used for different versions of the same characters.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I do sometimes, but then I realise it'd mean that if a character you really liked had a shitty toy, there'd be no chance of getting a better one.

17. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For myself... I tend to use these as scale classes...

micron - small toys, about the size of Energon Microns or micromasters

scout - ranging from the current legends size to the original BW Rattrap/AirRazor

Warrior/deluxe - average size class. Most of the common carded toys are this size class

voyager - the next size class up. Classics prime, classics jetfire, etc. Most of the MP cars are in this size range

ultra/leader - MP seekers, most current 'leader class' figures, classics Silverbolt, etc. on average, just shy of twice the height of the warrior/deluxe toys

supreme - the average top size toys. 2010 leaderclass movie Starscaream, Cybertron supreme starscream. movie leaderclass jetfire, etc.

Titan - biggest of the big (so far). G1 fort Max, classics Metroplex

18. abovealllogic

abovealllogic Well-Known Member

I agree. It would be really nice to have something between deluxe and voyager. I feel like I want some figures a bit bigger but still smaller than my larger guys.