SIOC Packaging (Ships In Own Container) and Frustration Free Packaging for Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Goldbolt, Aug 15, 2020.

1. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

If Amazon doesn't want to ship products with proper "handling" and shipping materials in an effort to save money, they should stop selling products period. No amount of word-smithing and positivism is going to convince me I will see a dime of savings because they want to cut corners. That is not how corporate logic trickles down to the consumer. I'm glad they are trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to packaging materials but the rest of the world are more than familiar with single wall, single face, double wall, triple wall in RSC, HSC or OSC configuration.
    What would I expect from a company founded by an individual who moved to Alaska to avoid paying taxes and collect an annual oil payout. Then came up with Amazon.com idea and tried to have two underage boys produce the web site. Who took their own time to learn how to code html5 and php before dreamweaver was a thing.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

Seriously, fuck this corporate greed!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh. We're still talking about toy robots here, right?

• Like Like x 3
  4. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Screenshot_2020-08-22 (1) Facebook(1).png
    Update i found a 2nd pic that has no stickers on the box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Seems you placed your initial response inside the quote... And yes, the issue comes from how the packers understood the "2-Pack". Seems some of them thought there were 2 separate products inside, much like the regular assortments having multiple figures. Though, the main issue is why would they plaster the shipping notice directly on the product itself. Even the SIOCs aren't really that thick enough to protect the actual product.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I just realized another very simple reason for the problem:

The brown SIOC box has the EAN barcode 05010993705160, whereas the inner product box has the EAN barcode 5010993705153. If the inner barcode is linked with the ASIN but the outer one isn't, the Amazon warehouse worker would encounter a problem with a barcode that isn't in the system. The first instinct of many workers would then be to open the box to see if there's a working barcode on the inside. (An alternate approach would be to report the item, have someone check it and then either decide to open it, or print a sticker with a working ASIN.)
    SIOC box.png

That's why there's an ASIN sticker on the SIOC box in the second photo (and also on the underside of the SIOC box in the first photo, which is not the most obvious place to put it). Apparently the problem of the non-scannable barcode was discovered and solved via a sticker. That's something I encounter quite often at work.
    SIOC box 2.png

I could say it's Hasbro's fault in this case for having different barcodes on the inner and outer boxes despite the outer boxes only containing one item.

• Like Like x 2
  7. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Good find. That's likely what @Pixelmaster reported that Hasbro is fixing. Though even after taking the product out of the SIOC box, the staff shouldn't have shipped the product directly out, outside of an Amazon box.

8. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

586.jpg

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You'd be surprised by all the insanity I've seen when it comes to barcodes.

Faulty manufacturer-printed barcodes that don't scan properly, manufacturer-printed barcodes that don't have a simple rectangular shape but rather a "stylish" shape (such as an electric shaver with a barcode in the shape of a beard) that poses a difficulty for the person scanning the item because they need to get at least one straight uninterruped line of barcode, manufacturer-printed barcodes on a sticker that is of such a poor quality that the barcode has already bleached by the time the item arrives, manufacturer-printed barcodes in red on a white backdrop (which causes a problem for scanners that have a red laser)... And then there are the barcode stickers that are wrapped around a small, cylindrical item, rather than being placed sideways, with the barcode in a straight line. Though in that case I'm not sure where the stickers were applied, in some cases it could have been someone from our staff.

10. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Great post. If it helps the environment, I am supportive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Ya i had some lag last night when a storm passed thru, even had the power flicker abit too.

12. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever having had to work with bar codes, but between my time in retail where I had to deal with transcribed numbers and my time as a programmer where I had to deal with transcribed everything and eventually bodgy RFID detail, I can truly sympathise and empathise with that. There are so many potential points of failure in a modern logistics operation it's amazing anything ever gets delivered. With that in mind, I'll quote something I saw in email taglines 20 years ago, which seems appropriate

Those who don't understand the internet are amazed at how well it works. Those that do understand the internet are amazed that it works at all.

Aside from that - thank you to those contributing from inside the system, it sheds some rather necessary light on how things work. I actually have a SIOC box behind me as I type... it wasn't until I read this thread that I even knew what that meant :) 

13. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

This is a great thread. I personally don't have a lot of experience with plastic on the outside of the packaging with my collection, but I do have a beef with the choice of plastic as the insert tray for my figures. I'd much rather have a well crafted cardboard piece that collapses so I can store it flat along with the box. I also appreciate the choice of being able to recycle the box/tray.