SIOC Packaging (Ships In Own Container) and Frustration Free Packaging for Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Goldbolt, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Chances are the person who opened it was not the same person who slapped a label on it.

As you can see in the video I linked, the various steps in processing an item are divided up for maximum efficiency.

2. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky"

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It seems odd that it wouldn't have been how they were packed from the start, though, since it's been how all previous Amazon exclusives have been packed.

3. Goldbolt

Goldbolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see someone thinking there could be multiples in that small carton not knowing anything about the item being shipped. I imagine the cases for the battlemasters aren't very large and contain several of them. Now once you opened it and saw there was only one in there, deciding to discard the carton instead of taping it closed is an odd choice.

Those steps being different people would contribute to the problem. The person applying the label would have no reason to think there should have been that overpack carton. The first person discarding the overpack is the one that needs to be retrained then.

4. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Usually, Amazon employees should be trained to look out for "quantity = X" being written on the box, with X > 1. Those are the boxes they are supposed to open.

I've seen many pallets full of items that were not supposed to be opened having been opened anyways, with the outer boxes discarded, because some people cannot read.

5. Goldbolt

News Credits:
    Well maybe this is Hasbro's fault for writing "TRA WFC Earthrise Seeker 2 Pack" on the box. That would be pretty easy to read and think there were two items in the box and not a single item that is a two pack.

6. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Talked with someone who works at the higher ups at Hasbro. It was NEVER supposed to be tagged as an SIOC. They’re currently investigating the issue as the Ironhide 2 pack is also tagged as it too. It’s a genuine mistake and they’re trying to find out what got lost in translation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nevermore

News Credits:
    So between here, the Amazon thread and the Allspark, it appears there have been at least four shipping methods people have reported now:

1) Just the toy packaging itself as SIOC, with a shipping label slapped on the toy packaging
    2) The toy packaging inside a brown outer Hasbro box that has "SIOC" printed onto it
    3) The toy packaging inside a standard Amazon box
    4) The toy packaging inside a brown outer Hasbro box that has "SIOC" printed onto it, inside a standard Amazon box

8. Goldbolt

News Credits:
    Number 2 on your list there looks like the intended shipping configuration although as I initially described the carton is definitely designed to be usable alone as in number 1. 3&4 are just amazon wasting another box and freight cost but clearly 4 is the best of these options as far as we collectors are concerned.

I hope this info is flitering back to Hasbro as this inconsistency is a failure of their intentions. The main package is clearly designed to survive a shipment without the overwrap box with the SIOC printed on it. So either they designed it the way I initially described (to be shipped version 1) then thought better of shipping the main package bare and added the overwrap or they designed it as a backup to the overwrap carton. With the overwrap sleeve being sized almost exactly to the internal carton a major impact would damage the inner carton as well, unlike a shipping box with bubble wrap where the impact wouldn't hit the inner carton.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

That actually makes a lot of sense. For a factory worker not familiar with the item, I can see them thinking there's two items in the SIOC box.

• Like Like x 1
  10. oturan

oturan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For this to work Hasbro needs to elimnate the novelty of collecting the boxes.

All boxes for each class shall be generic and using paper thread for securing the toys.

Alternatively include bio cards for each toy for collectors. These bio cards will have holes to tie the toy to it and shall have a dimension that can fit the size of the toy. Make the bio cards in a uniform size so that collectors can keep them in a folder size file holder. Eg A4 / folded A3 / A5 etc.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is so informative it should be pinned. Bravo!

12. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    We've seen people complain before (POTP Nemesis Prime) why Amazon shipped the SIOC box directly and others surprised that they got an SIOC box inside an Amazon box. Though, I don't remember seeing posts of people receiving POTP Nemesis Prime outside of the Hasbro SIOC.

13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    Which is, ultimately, the end of the argument. They're prioritizing the right things in making this change. If we want collector grade packaging...we can push for an option, but will have to understand we'll likely have to opt-in and pay extra for it. (I believe this is what BBTS does)

It sounds like a screw up on Amazon's part. Something got mislabeled on intake so they opened the SIOC only to find the single unit in box.

But once they slit the packaging open to reveal the single item, perhaps there are rules against resealing it. For example, if the goal would be to reseal the outer box and ship as is...it may look like it has been tampered with upon arrival and causes confusion along the stack. I could see someone at the very end seeing the slit/resealed box and thinking "Oh has this been tampered with on the floor?"

Is it? The brown box is just there to protect the product inside. It'd be like treating the case assortment box at Target as the "best option" if you're an MISB collector.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  14. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or how botcon used to send out the mail order ones in a simple box.. Or even the attendee figures in a plastic baggy..

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the part that caused the problem is the "2 pack" labeling on the outer Hasbro box. Someone not versed in toy collecting would assume it contains two separate items.

It shouldn't, as long it's just an outer box and not the actual product packaging, resealing it shouldn't be a problem. Furthermore, if I were to encounter such a situation where I accidentally opened a box and realized it only contains one item, I would continue to proceed with all future boxes without opening them all up. Unfortunately, not every employee is that smart.

I think the reasoning there is that the outer Hasbro box doesn't do much to protect the inner product packaging from impact damage. Scratches, maybe, but any major impact would damage not only the outer box, but also the inner box. A larger box with extra padding would definitely be more MISB-collector friendly.

16. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    You say that as if it's one employee shipping all of the items. And you say that as if it's the employees fault and not other factors. Such as high demand on their time making it easier to make mistakes because they're in a hurry.

And *you* think resealing the pack wouldn't be a problem. But does someone who knows Amazon process want to weigh in on if that's considered taboo?

17. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    @Nevermore : "I work for Amazon and can shed some insight on how exactly SIOC versus overwrap work" - no weight?

• Like Like x 3
  18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I missed that.

19. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Good read and you make a lot of good points, I do know there was a shipper box for Siege skywarps and not sure if the coneheads also had some but amazon took a bunch out fo the boxes then placed them into larger boxes and mailed them that way. Yes, I get sometimes they open them to figure out what is inside or they over cut and damage the outer box, it happens.
    Now I do get Generation select boxes are going that way they can be mailed as-is and I am okay with that but also it saves money thru fewer materials well show that savings with the product or lower prices don't hey we are doing cost cutting packaging but we are going to up the prices while cutting back on paint apps and such or packaging a legends scale figure as a deluxe at deluxe prices (add a targetmaster or something it leaves us feeling ripped off and discouraged).
    If they are doing the artwork make it downloadable or print to order large ones, it's not hard to do and contractable like that cut-out map that would have made a great poster.
    The downside is getting damaged boxes and more importantly damaged items but there is no reason to give an incentive to going the cheaper shipping method, same goes for Hasbro, it's not a bad idea at all just needs some tweaking.

20. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

All the Amazon exclusives had SIOC brown boxes, going back to POTP (at least from my memory). The regular case assortment boxes from Hasbro are actually thicker compared to the SIOCs.