Sins of The Wreckers #5 (Finale)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Starscream Gaga, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

What are the implications of Impactor teaming up with Mayhem? Did Impactor turn evil? Or did Impactor essentially recruit Mayhem into being good guys?

I like the idea of Impactor joining Mayhem (or maybe it's the other way around) and going on wacky violent missions. It reminds me a lot of Magneto recruiting Emma Frost, Azazel, and his other former enemies at the end of X-Men: First Class.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Impactor wanting a revolution, though. At the end of the day, the ruling Cybertronians appear to be Optimus Prime, Megatron, Hot Rod, and Starscream. Out of those, it seems that Optimus, Megatron, and Hot Rod are all doing their honest best to do good. Starscream is the only Cybertronian leader who's ruling through deception and manipulation.

If Impactor has joined the mission of Mayhem, it would just be an odd career move. Impactor has been many things, but he was always a good person at heart.

On the other hand, Impactor and Mayhem being the ones to take down Starscream would be AWESOME.

2. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    It's the idea that the shade is different. And extra "sparkle" if you will. Subtle but robot eyes would see it.

3. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

I get the point that Tarantulas found out Ostaros is still alive by realizing that Prowl never gets his hands dirty. But I wonder why he suddenly realized that Springer IS Ostaros. By only hearing Springer shouting "wreck" and recognize his voice? But he already heard Springer during the Impetus session didn't he?

4. PELINAL

PELINAL Well-Known Member

When Springer gave the call over Impactor's comm, Prowl turned his head towards the source while trying to talk to Tarantulas about Ostaros. Tarantulas took this reaction to mean that Springer is Ostaros.

5. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Great way to end the series, though I prefer LSOTW. Still, it's a worthy follow up given the personal tragedy and family events Roche was dealing with. Certainly, his hard work shows and I did not mind the wait.:) 

I'll definitely pick up the trade and need to re-read the issues to let the details and various connections/set-ups sink in...a quality that I admire about Roche's work (which is enhanced with Josh's colors!).

Hope some of the lingering threads are re-addressed in MTMTE and/or RID!

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

What's that about personal tragedy? I hadn't heard anything about Roche during the writing process. Is there a story here? Just curious.

zmog

7. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

8. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    You'know I was thinking way back when Nick drew that picture of three Autobot graves we all guessed who would fill em. Now that the dust has settled we have 4 apparent Autobot deaths Guzzle and Roadbuster seem pretty much guaranteed but we never saw Stakeout go offline and Hubcap "apparently" fell to his death. Between the last two I wonder if maybe we haven't seen the end of one of the latter two. Anyone else get that vibe and if so who would you prefer to pull through?

9. optimaloptimus2

optimaloptimus2 Sonic Xtreme, not Mario!

News Credits:
    With that final scene with Carnivac I think Stakeout's gone for good: it would be a bit cheap to bring him back after that, not that it's stopped TF before.

I guess I could see Hubcap coming back. Mayhem got out of the Noisemaze and Springer survived for a while in there after all.

10. SMOG

Interesting.

Apparently Nick's sense of gallows-humour is not restricted to the pages of his Transformers comics, but proceeds directly from his real-life manner. :) 

zmog

11. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'd rather it be Stakeout (if thats what you're asking) to be the one to "come back."
    Hubcap's death seemed more tragic, and that's kind of how I'd like it to stay. And no one likes a traitor anyways ;) 

12. SMOG

I'd prefer to have Hubcap back... I always liked the idea of him, and felt that he was such an unknown and under-used character. Of course the Wreckers version of Hubcap is not quite the same as the one described by the old G1 bios...

Stakeout, other than being Verity's unconditional BFF, didn't seem to have that much personality.

zmog

13. Tristich

Tristich Planeteer

Yay, Prowl is back.

14. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

I have a few questions about this series that I'm wondering if someone can help with:

- How did Prowl wake up Springer? ... and if he could just do that any time he wanted, why did he leave Springer in a coma for so long?

- Why is everybody so committed to keeping the Aequitas data from getting out? What I hear in the story is that it would reignite the War if people found out the war crimes Autobots committed. That seems like a bad reason. I would expect that Autobots would want war criminals (even on their own side) brought to justice. I would also think that a peace that is built on concealing the truth is not a true or lasting peace.
    (Or maybe I'm just showing that I agree with Carnivac and Mayhem...)

- Impactor's change at the end was really surprising: He went from killing Hubcap in cold blood to keep the truth hidden (and lecturing Prowl for not having the guts to do it himself) to joining the team that wanted Aequitas to be revealed. What was the impetus for this change?
    (Not to mention: Who has committed more war crimes than Imactor and the Wreckers? If Aequitas gets out, won't Impactor be the first one implicated? Suddenly he's the one who wants truth and goodness to win out?)

15. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    - no telling, but Prowl is a super douche; So that's my thinking. Although after all of the stuff Prowl has put Springer through, maybe he thought it was time for a well-deserved break. I mean, the stuff with Mesothulas (that Springer obviously can't remember), the battle of Pova, G-9 and who knows what else?
    Springer doesn't seem like the type that is "needed" for the then standing of events on Cybertron/earth/galactic council. Though I'm sure the Wreckers would have been appreciated for Dark Cybertron; they weren't needed.

- I'm sure there are more than just war crimes on the Aequitas datalog. Probably some serious shit. They publicly covered up what really happen on Pova; they probably publicly covered up a lot of other things for other inmates, too. Which is what I think it is... Just a bunch of cover-ups that would and could cripple anything Prowl considers to be the ideal way for Cybertron to be ruled under Autobot authority.

- I don't see Impactor as a "joiner" I'm pretty sure he was sitting at that table recruiting them for the new Wreckers.

16. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Another question: what's the big deal about Ostaros?

We know that bots have been constructed cold before; there were even "made to order" soldiers during the war. So what makes Ostaros special? Isn't he just another created bot? Am I missing something?

17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Constructed cold Cybertronians are created from the Matrix's energy. Ostaros is special in that he is the first Cybertronian that we know of to be completely artificial, having basically been built from scratch unlike constructed cold 'bots and still possessing a spark.

18. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I read into it that he wasn't the first that we know of, but that he was simply the first. And probably the only to be artificially made.
    Prowl doesn't seem like the kind of guy to have multiple teams working on the same projects. He's all about efficiency and stuff. So after seeing what Mesothulas was capable of; lights out.
    And we later see how much Ostaros really meant to Tarantulas; in fact it seems (to me) that's what he cared about the most. "A father losing his son..." and all of that.

19. SMOG

Yeah, according to this story, Springer/Ostaros is basically an AI.

Normally TF sparks are harvested from somewhere, and then placed in bodies. In this case, there's no spark... no soul... it's all artificial.

Which is a bit of a weird concept considering what we know of TFs... how would other TFs take that? What does that mean in terms of their concept of what "life" is?

zmog

20. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Ostaros/Springer does have a spark, though. Tarantulas straight-up said in #3 that he has an "artificial spark" and "synthesized Matrix field." Artificial, yes, but still a spark.

He's not just an A.I. like Teletraan-1 put into a humanoid body. Tarantulas made it pretty clear he's a lot more than that, blurring the line between Cybertronian and just plain old "robot" (and I really don't think the story's intent was to have him be a soulless robot different from other Cybertronians in any way that "matters," either).