Sins of the Wreckers (3 of 5) Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Faizan, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'EOSTRE:

Germanic Fertility Goddess
    Also known as Ēostre, Ostara, Eastre
    Spring Goddess of Fertility and bouncy bunny girl
    She has her own festival on 21 March, the Spring Equinox, in which bouncing springy behavior is encouraged.'

Yes? Well.. bouncy bunny girl notwithstanding :lol 

2. Pumpkin latte

Pumpkin latte Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Mostly because Hot Rod's birth as one of the hot spot sparks is still in an 'implied but not yet canonized' limbo, Ostaros kind of looks like Roddy, Hot Rod did in fact die(got better) in 'Heart like a Wheel'(haven't read the old ongoing but I have seen the panels and I'd recognize those chins anywhere) which Roche drew(this would mean Prowl was being honest "from a certain point of view"), Rodimus recalls waking up in Nyon(I remember the wiki called that odd), uploading the matrix was fantastic for Rodimus but hurt Optimus(maybe the fact that he was born as a blank slate would make it easier?), and the writer really loves Hot Rod. :)  If the two events are close enough chronologically Prowl could have used that situation and his position to pass Ostaros off as one of the Hotspot Sparks.

Shockwave installed a matrix compartment into Orion's chest. Rodimus would have been created by an amoral scientist. If one had something artificial added that possibly fooled the matrix into accepting him as Prime and the other is an artificial cybertronian who was made to download a template, that could lead to interesting questions regarding the matrix and whether it's mystical or a piece of advanced technology. It helps keep the creation mystery rolling.

To be honest, I don't care too much about Oststos' identity as long as Roche makes it work. If he's alive, I just want to see him freak out upon learning his 'true origin', but especially the identity of his 'real parents'. This would make my day because I am immature and very easily amused.

3. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    i'm just going to say that ostaros's identity will pertain to this series....not a character in exRiD or in MTMTE. whoever he turns out to be he will be a wrecker or someone yet to be introduced fully just for this story. i can't see this character becoming someone important in another series....especially since chronologically both series have moved past the events of sins of the wreckers with no impact.

being springer makes sense. rung...rodimus? neither make sense.

4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I'll add more later, but one thing I do like is we finally see a lot of scientific advancements that served the Autobot side- it seems like for a long time, most of the science things we saw were either Decepticon or from Jhiaxus. Even if Methuselas is a neutral, he did his inventions working for Prowl, and stuff like Spark Extraction (a safe way to contain very dangerous prisoners) is pretty cool.

He *could* be dead, but what's certain is there's at least one more major twist involving him.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Considering the title cover of the next issue is a pissed off Roadbuster looking at Hubcap...it wouldn't surprise me at all.

all of that would be insane.

I don't believe he did.

Nick Roche really deserves his own ongoing, he should just have a Wreckers ongoing.

Agent 113 or Necrobot....interesting ideas to say the least.

6. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe I was being too subtle? Ha. The name Ostaros, it being a play on 'Ostara' meaning Spring Equinox, the subtle touches of colour around the head and chest and those bright blue eyes all point to him being Springer. That and the relationship between Prowl, Impactor and Springer being such a pivotal ongoing thing, it just has to be.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  7. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    ......yeah, OK. I can get behind some of that. I don't think he is, but I'd be accepting if he was.

8. gregles

gregles quintesson

You are probably correct but I thought the necrobot seen in the rescent MTMTE issue was only the most rescent necrobot with a different older transformer being the one which dates back to the 13 tribes era.

For Another off the wall choice how about pre-Jhiaxus experiment arcee? I don't for certain but I don't think we know for certain that the experiment definitely took place in Nova primes era? Nova and Jhiaxus where active in secret in the time since the original ark disappeared and he could have been captured by or even targeted by Jhiaxus for being already different not too long ago and maybe even prowl was telling the truth as far as he was aware as their activities would easily be blamed on the Decepticons. It seems like many thought Arcee was a crazy psycho so unlikely to believe her when she stated a respected long disappeared scientist had done some strange experiment on her.

9. Pumpkin latte

Pumpkin latte Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yay! I will take that as a soft approval of my 'crack' guess!

I don't seriously believe it either tbh. If he's alive, I think it's more likely he'd be a part of the cast, but Rodimus would be my 'fun' theory because the discovery would effect more characters and he's young enough to allow for some canon wiggle room without using time travel. Well, more than the Lost Light has already used, anyway.

10. gregles

gregles quintesson

Rodimus has an easy affinity with the matrix and his doodles turned out to be map to the Knights of Cybertron though isn't Rodimus oddly old in Idw if you take into account all those rubbish -acy comics?

11. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No, he explains that he is the only Necrobot. He was the one who started cataloging all the deaths. The older guy he knew simply showed him the planet he later used as a base of operations.

12. carissa

carissa Well-Known Member

So what exactly do we know about Ostaros anyhow? (from the comics thus far)

13. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I will be very, very surprised if Ostaros isn't Springer. The name connection took me a while (got stuck at 'Easter' - resurrection? Easter egg? Tombstone?) but once you spot it, it's impossible to regard it as a coincidence. I find the idea of it turning out to be anyone outside of the main Wreckers plotline very unlikely. With Impactor as the suited bot that attacks Mesothulas, it neatly ties Impactor, Springer and Prowl together in a way that is very satisfying and thematically complex.

I believe in special police operations, codenames have to be selected at random from a book - they deliberately avoid having someone come up with a 'clever' appropriate name because it's too easily interrogated for clues and therefore gives the game away. This is the trap Nick's fallen into arguably with a couple of his big reveals - at least when it comes to the online fandom.

As others have said, this was a superlative issue - a real treat. My only gripes are the wasteful death of Claw Jaw (he has similar powers to Skin in Generation X, who was also killed in ignoble fashion) and the perhaps unjustified worry that there's no way this can be satisfactorily wrapped up in two issues. I have a really bad feeling Guzzle is going to get shortchanged again - his storyline was pushed to the side for space reasons in Last Stand, and so far everything in this story points to him having to be put down like a rabid dog without getting much of a chance to redeem himself.

Also, poor Springer - look at the whole Wreckers arc from his perspective. Turns up, falls through a hole, electrified, tortured, freed, face torn off, comafied, wakes up, noisemazed, strapped to a guilt machine.

14. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    GENIUS I was hoping someone could break it down thank you.
    Right!? I swear my home boy does not catch a break, and also everyone just expects him to just bounce :p  back into action while given virtually no chance to process what happened to him when Ovelord literally pimp slapped his face off. The only real positives I see for him is he got to reunite with Kup, Verity & the other old school Wreckers.

15. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going panel-by-panel in this issue, it looks like there was a deliberate effort to obscure the radiation suit's right hand during the attack, which could betray who was wearing it. With everything else discussed in this thread, at this point I'd be surprised if Ostaros wasn't Springer, and Impactor didn't spare him.

- The explosive attack on Mesothulas seems more like Impactor's style than Prowl's.
    - Sparing Ostaros instead of "finishing the job" also seems more consistent with Impactor's history of virtuous moments. Does Prowl even do his own dirty work?
    - Impactor and/or the Wreckers have been Prowl's agents in the past.
    - Cosmetic and etymological similarities between Ostaros and Springer.

Also, perhaps Tarantulas' machinations were responsible for bringing Springer back online, if they're technologically linked.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I agree with the rest of your post, but what virtuous moments are you talking about here? The only thing I can think of that even comes close would be sparing Overlord, which he did in honor of Springer whom he believed was dead and wasn't exactly virtuous considering Overlord was begging for his own death. Impactor's entire character arc thus far has basically emphasized that he's not a virtuous person.

17. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

Another fine part of the bigger and deeper story IDW has been slowly and at times clunkily sharing with us. I truly love the organic alt-mode version of MesoTarantulas that uses his transmetal transformation scheme. My take is that Ostaros is Springer

18. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The points I had in mind were:

- Not killing Overlord with respect to Springer
    - Mercy killing Snare
    - Saving those aliens from being harvested
    - Being somewhat of Guzzle's guardian

These incidents would serve to illustrate that, despite his history of brutality and moral ambiguity, he does have some redeeming qualities.

19. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Something odd about the art, Nick seems to have decided to not waste his time with the transformation schemes this time round. Usually when a TF transforms we see the alt-mode, the bot-mode and one or two steps in between, here it's just the bot and alt. Which sometimes makes it look like the TFs just shedd their alt-mode's skin.

So, any guesses about what Varity has? Cancer or a chestburster? And who else thinks it sucks that she only shows up again while obviously dying?

Ostaros could also come from Ostaria, a fish restaurant, so maybe Depthcharge? :p 

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

What is Ostoros is Verity?