Significant other + BotCon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Bryan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

OK, looking for any previous experience with this.

My wife is accepting of my hobby--completely, not grudgingly. She listens to me when I get excited about something and forget that she doesn't really care, she watched the movie with me, she demonstrates genuine curiousity about some things (Alternators esp.), and she bought me a signed poster (Megatron Triumphant, I think was the title, he's grinding Bumblebee's worthless ass into the ground) for Crimmus last year.

And I love spending time with her. She really is my best friend.

That being said...should she come to BotCon with me?

Oh, also, I'm making a Wheeljack costume for Halloween this summer and considering trying it out early in KY.

2. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well,

I'm in the same boat, Last fall she went to a small show in New Jeresy with me and we were selling off my spares items. She had a great time, as she found a few small things that she wanted at that toy show. one problem is she will not be able to be there for the whole week. She is going to fly out that friday night and then drive back home with me.

Hope that costume works out for you

3. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

If we can work it into the schedule for this year, my wife and I plan to go to Botcon together. I was talking about Botcon with her and she said "We should go". So I said "...OK".

If she'll have fun there with you I don't see any reason why you shouldn't bring her along.

~X

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My wife is very supportive of my collecting. She even gets in on the act as she wants all the girl figures. If I make the trip, my wife is coming too. She's gone to every Cybercon with me, and genuinely seems to enjoy the shows and loves to meet the peopel I talk to online.

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    As you describe your situation, I see no reason why not, but shouldn't you be asking her this question?

In my case, my wife is quite accepting, but does so from "outside" the fandom. She doesn't understand why I like them, but has no problem with the fact that I do. She might join me on the trip to KY, but probably wouldn't enjoy the convention itself, and would probably rather spend the time with my family in Louisville. (This is assuming I go, which is still dependent on the cost, among other factors)

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    Yeah, Julie is awesome when it comes to being supportive...even went to the last 3 Botcons with me...but in all honesty she went mostly to sight see (Part of why she isn't going this year....Kentucky just isn't her idea of a vacation) so Chicago, Texas and Pasadena were really cool :) 

7. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    BotCon is my weekend away from the wife to geek out with a bunch of buddies with similiar interests.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Absolutely. She was invited before I even decided to go, and she said wants to come. We've been physically seperated for the last year because of my job, so taking every chance we have to spend time together is definitely a priority.

It's just that I've never been to a BotCon, or any Con, or any concentration of geekdom before. Honestly, I'm a little nervous that she'll get there and be miserable and...well, a little freaked out. I just don't know what kind of reaction to expect from a total immersion like this. Telling me I can put the Matrix replica on our shelf and tell guests it's an expensive sculpture is one thing, an entire weekend of Transformers is another, y'know?

Oddly, I'm giving more thought to this trip six months from now than seeing her next month after a long year in Iraq. Priorities might need a little reordering...

9. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    My wife is supportive too. I've even asked her if she wanted to go to Botcon with me this year(my first time going to Botcon). Of course she said "no" and I understand, that's not her thing. At least she can't say I didn't invite her.

10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    A fair concern. I can't speak for how your wife would react. Me... I tend more on the "slightly embarrassed to be a fan" side when I go to these things. Not everyone is like this to be sure, but I always find an unusual number of stereotypical "fanboys" that make me hope that I'm not like that....

But there's plenty of things to do, especially if your wife shares any of your interest at all, whereby this may not be a problem.

11. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    the legnth of the con and other activities fall into play with my fiance. If its only a day, sure she'll come. but if its 3 days, there better be something else to do around there.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say go for it. If she gets bored of the con she can always poke around the city or something. I brought my girlfriend to a toy show a few months and she talked me into buying a second BTA, so I'm glad she was there.

13. canprime

canprime Well-Known Member

My GF came to Botcon with me last year. It was the first time she came to something like this with me. It was a great experience for both of us. She was able to attend events with me and the when I was volunteering she was able to lounge by the pool or go shopping.

It also helped overall because with her I was able to get a second set of exclusives and resell them almost immediately on Ebay and make back all the money I spent on on exclusives and toys at Botcon, and then some.

She doesn't really get into the hobby, but she supports me in continuing with the hobby.

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Last year my husband went with me to Botcon. I know he hated every last bit of it too. :lol  But, he excepted it and let me have my fun. He never did complain, not one bit. And he is willing to go this year too.

I'm hoping though we can stay at the hotel where the con is held at so he can watch football and play games so I can hang out with friends.