Siege Ultra Magnus VS Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TUVCK, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

This is the first tfw post I have made and I am quite inexperienced. If you want to add some constructive criticism for me that I can use in future posts that would be greatly appreciated!

I have yet to add an Ultra Magnus to my collection and am having a frustratingly hard time deciding which of these great figures to get. Each have their merits and flaws and are generally very different figures so advice from people who own them (just one or both) would be very helpful.
    tkt59569_0_1536624673__63012_large[1].jpg thF622IH4L.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Blunderzag

Blunderzag Transform and Transcend

Back in 2015 I definitely wanted Ultra Magnus but I never saw him at stores so I opted for Armada Megatron instead.
    I always wanted that figure since it was announced because of the cockpit and Minimus Ambus and it kind of reminded me of a Diaclone pilot and I was interested in that at the time. His downside is he doesn’t have a transformable albino prime cab as he’s based on something from the comics.

However Seige Magnus is the exact opposite because he is a white prime with armor and we’ve wanted this since City Commander. they’re both strong in their own ways, but both very unique figures.
    I’ll have to pick Seige Magnus because he’s more traditional to what I want in a magnus figure than the mech, which I still very much do like as a concept and I believe it should be explored by HasTak us much as possible.

I like Seige Magnuses proportions, his gimmick being his armor and his over all aesthetic,he’s bigger and more imposing.

CW magnus was really on my radar for the fact he had a little dude piloting him and it was like Diaclone, but besides that he’s okay in my opinions, he can’t hold his hammer that well due to the opening hands,and he’s slimmer. That’s all I really have to say on the matter. I also think Seige has more play value.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in a similar boat as you. I didn't have an Ultra Magnus and I was just starting my CHUG collection. I was planning to get combiner wars Ultra Magnus since it was the only real option at the time. But after Siege Ultra Magnus was revealed, I just knew I had to get him. I currently have the figure and he is beautiful. I'm sure combiner wars Ultra Magnus is great, but Siege Magnus is everything I want in a figure. I'd recommend you research them both e.g. watch video reviews. Honestly, it's really a matter of preference and it's ultimately your decision to make. If my personal opinion/preference mattered at all, I'd say go for Siege UM.

P.s. this was written by someone who adores idw UM but still preferred the Siege version of the character.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

Siege does look better in my opinion and has better articulation and details, but what’s holding me back from getting him is the partsforming (I know it’s traditional but the masterpiece doesn’t rely on it) and the alt mode which doesn’t work as what Ultra Magnus is supposed to turn into. Also the MP is out of my budget.

5. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had the box set version of CW Magnus and sold him when I saw Siege coming.

So... Siege is smaller. Much smaller. I have a friend skipping Siege because, to him, they’re too small in hand. They’re great for crowding a shelf with and Magnus is much more in animation scale but he doesn’t tower like the MP. Or the classic toy. And he’d be dinky as a standalone display piece and he’s probably about $15 too expensive for his size by Prime Wars standards. But he’s actually a little heavier than CW Magnus and much more durable and poseable.

I would say CW Magnus belongs in an IDW collection. Siege belongs in a cartoon 86 movie/S3 collection.

If you’re willing to spend more and into the latter, the Japanese Blurr, Arcee, and Kup (in that order) are nice. The TR Dinobots are in their 86 movie/S3 scale. Japanese Wheelie is nice. Springer is about to get a new figure so see what it looks like first. None of the modern Wreck-Gars is perfect. T30 is a near update and has a few neat re-decos. Japanese version went all out on cartoon deco but the mold is more IDW. Walgreens Wreck-Gar is actually not bad in terms of cartoon proportions but his deco is kinda lazy.

If you’re looking for good IDW figures to pair CW Magnus with, there are some good choices. I’d look at the new Furai Optimus model kit, Brainstorm from T30, T30 Bumblebee or the Legends class version, Armada Starscream, stealth bomber Megatron or CW Megatron.

The big overlapping figure is RTS Cyclonus although his multipack deco is better and I’d advise taking the rubsign off and using a reprolabel or ocean decal. RTS Cyclonus is small (like Siege figures) but will fit on either IDW or cartoon shelf.

6. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

Ok now the Siege Ultra Magnus is sounding very appealing...

7. RackNRuin

RackNRuin Well-Known Member

I like CW cos it can store other transformers in his alt mode but the lack of white prime inside is a big let down for me. Of course if you get the PE add on but that is going to cost you.
    All that said Siege Ultra Magnus looks fucking glorious and is well deserving shelf space.

I really just hope in another 5 years or so Hasbro make another leader class ultra Magnus and takes the best from both of these.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

Wow this is very helpful. Since I only started my collection recently I only have one IDW character (Generations Springer). I am currently more intrerested in the overall character instead of the character from a specific continuety so it won’t really effect my opinion on it but thanks a lot. Also I will look into the recommendations you gave me!

9. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

Siege looks amazing but the alt mode and method of transforming just doesn’t look appealing compared to CW. I think the white prime as well as the mini pilot are both equally cool and either doesn’t impact my bias over the other.

10. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

The Siege figure is starting to look like the option I will go for. I do like the alt mode of CW over Siege but robot should come first. The color and paint make it look so much better and the shorter Magnus will scale a bit better with the figures I already have. The real turn off of CW Magnus is the articulation. The hands and wrists are just vile. Right now I want Siege Magnus but it may be a bit before I make my purchase so I will still check this thread to see if my opinion can be swayed again. This has been bothering me a lot the past few days so thanks a lot.

11. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    It depends entirely on what you want.

[​IMG]

If you want the IDW look and a semi-functional car carrier, a figure that converts with less part-forming, and a figure that scales well with PotP Leader Rodimus and Optimus, go with CW.

[​IMG]

If you want an inner White Prime like G1 Magnus had, and some added customization potential, go with Siege. That Magnus might be cheaper and has better articulation than CW.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  12. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

The customization potential is super appealing as I have come to adore fan modes. The scaling would also be better with Siege because Siege Optimus is the centerpiece of my display. Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  13. twoodel

twoodel Well-Known Member

As far as Magnus figures go I like my CW one more than I like my Seige but that is solely do to the add on kits and Perfect Effect's core Magnus figure. If you take away the add on kits and what not and compare the two of them out of box then the Seige Magnus is superior in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I particularly prefer Legends Leader Ultra Magnus, love the color scheme and he is able to hold a couple of deluxe cars. He is also considerable taller than Siege Magnus. This is Ultra Magnus on my Classics shelf.

In the other hand, I like the idea of a "white Prime with armor" as Ultra Magnus but don't like the idea of an Ultra Magnus not able to hold Deluxes cars. The price don't help neither. I ordered one 2 days ago, as impulsive buyer, but canceled the order yesterday. I would get one in the future, maybe if find him 50% off down the road or something like that.

15. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I like them both, but only one is the specific representation of one of my favourite characters in Transformers and that's CW Ultra Magnus. Best thing to do is buy both CW and Legends Magnus, ditch the silly Alpha Trion and put Minimus in the Legends one. However CW Magnus isn't great on a normal Classics shelf, so its best to get both! One for your Classics Autobots display and one for your Lost Light display!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

My advice is:
    If you want him to scale with the current figures, go siege.
    He also has more articulations.

If you want a big leader class Magnus, buy the CW version.

It always depends on what you want.

And this coming from a guy who doesn't have any of them.
    I am going to get the Siege version.
    The new trilogy is the way to go for me at the moment.
    I even dropped the MP collection for this line.
    MP are not so MP anyways. Always still have flaws and not 100% cartoon accurate.
    These guys in bot mode are the same.
    And MP are to big now.
    Also the price. For 1 MP figure i can get 4 to 6 deluxe, 3 to 4 voyagers and 2 or 3 leader classes, considering a MP cost 100 to 150.
    We only miss hands with fingers articulations, feet going forward and back and maybe a ab crunch.

17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've owned the CW version from the time it was released because, at the time, I liked the stylized design. I loathe IDW but enjoyed the uniqueness of the build. Having the little scrub as a quasi-Diaclone pilot irritated me though, and after a while, the figure just became a punching bag for Sixshot. Heck, I haven't even looked at the figure for well over a year.

Now that I have the Siege Magnus, all is right in the universe. It's turning out to be exactly the UM I've been wanting for the shelf. It also ticks all the boxes for what I consider a quality figure, and is the perfect scale with Optimus and the other bots.

I also have the MP, and while it is an amazing piece of art, I feel the Siege one is just more fun.

18. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Siege scale like the the new Studio Series has shrunk the toys considerably.

However unlike the previous generations and movie series, both scales are wholly consistent with themselves. They also both seem to scale with each other.

This means for Ultra Magnus WfC Siege, you get an amazing figure, in fact the whole Siege line is brilliant (bar the battle damage which I really don't like) that properly scales; but the consequence is that it doesn't sit with most CHUG, CW, PoTP, TW. The exception where it scales better with the CW combiners & the titans Metroplex, Trypticon etc imo.

Siege UM is much better than CW UM in my view.

• Like Like x 3
  19. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you already have MP Magnus?

I'm not a big fan of parts forming, but I still like the Siege figure. He's got some heft to him, and looks great on the shelf. Decent poseability (probably the best UM so far) but I wish his trailer turned into something when the cab is in bot mode (sorta like Shockwave's "surfboard").
    If you're an IDW or MTMTE fan, you have to pick up CW Magnus. I LOVE how he transforms, altho if you already have MP UM you probably won't be as impressed. Not a fan of his feet, but he still looks great on the shelf.

Like everyone said, they're both good, it just depends what you'd prefer. Siege UM is far more playable, and better quality plastic. CW UM is an awesome reference to the IDW character, and has a great transformation.

20. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really find CW only flaw to be His hands not holding the guns sturdily.

• Like Like x 1