Minor/Repaint: Siege Tigertracks/Clampdown WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MrUniqZ, Sep 7, 2019.

1. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm continuing to work on my sideswipe repaints. Learning about the mold as I go. Funny thing, I dipped Tigertracks (then sideswipe) in alcohol and the plastic on the back nearly crumbled. I wasn't experienced with clear plastic so...bummer.

I had to superglue the lower half back together. Luckily he's holding up, even after being painted. The paint is still curing so it'll probably be a few weeks before I try to smooth out the orange peeling and paint clumps. I have to thin the paint in a few areas too, to allow transformation so it's just robot mode for now.

I'm also working on a clampdown which is going a little smoother. Unfortunately his shin cracked a tiny bit but it's still workable. I have to find a red paint match for his red legs and arms. Using acrylic this time so...it's curing WAAAY faster. I wish I had used Acrylics with Tigertracks. I'll probably try to make a decal for his hood deco...I don't trust my steady hand enough to paint the black in.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. Damocles Prime

Damocles Prime Member

Just made a profile to help cause I love this mold so much and I want to see where you go with it. Try 71% alcohol on clear plastic, it'll still make it more brittle and it's not quite as effective but it will work. I also use nail polish remover but that's not for dipping, I scrub with a q-tip instead(also works with alcohol but it's very tedious).

3. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Lol thanks. Yea lesson learned there! I also had to make sure I thoroughly cleaned both Sideswipe and Red Lert. I made the mistake of lightly cleaning Sideswipe and I had a minor problem with red paint dust. But the paint on both figures practically melt in 91%. Amd098 made an amazing deep cover so he’s helped me with tips.

I can’t wait until the enamel cures on tracks. I can finish touching him up then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Damocles Prime

Damocles Prime Member

I also recommend spray on vinyl dye. It works great as a primer but it also works great by itself. I prefer it over the RIT method(kept warping pieces due to impatience).

5. NewtypeS3

NewtypeS3 Well-Known Member

That looks like a great start for Tigertrack. I had toyed with making one, but figured I had enough figures with the Swipe/Alert mode already in G2 Sideswipe and SG Sideswipe. I used oil based paint pens for mine, both Sharpie and a generic Target brand, and they came out ok. Hope your TT looks as awesome as it looks now when it’s done.

Ironically, I didn’t keep a pure Red figure. I should consider doing that... but if I can’t find a regular Sideswipe, I may need to ironically make a Red into one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Painted up Clampdown. I decided to match the color Hasbro chose for Red Alert's torso. Just gotta let it cure some more..then smooth out the orange peel in some areas. My switch from enamels to Acrylics speed up the painting and handling process. Just have to figure out how to incorporate the police deco which is going to be unexplored territory for me because my first thought is I'll need to print them.. Suggestions would be great!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    print them on regular paper and test fit it first lol

there's also not much room on the 'doors' of the car, so you might need to figure out the right area where you want to place them

8. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Awesome job with the paint pen! Sideswipe isn’t too bad to work with. I used primer as a starting step. Also the head molds are specific for these guys. It’s dumb luck I correctly chose red alert for clampdown, because I didn’t notice the heads until after the fact :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skycutter

Skycutter Well-Known Member

can we see there alternate mode if possible?

10. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Yup..alt mode for Clampdown here. I traced/steady handed some of his deco, interestingly with the Acrylic I can clean up the lines after painting with just a blunt edge.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  11. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Managed to get Tigertracks in alt mode despite paint still drying. It’s orange peeled so I’ll probably rub it down over the weekend after the paint has hardened.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  12. NewtypeS3

NewtypeS3 Well-Known Member

...and now, I’m going to have to make a Tigertrack.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Yea I wouldn’t be shocked to see an official Tigertracks showed up...it would be a good use of the mold.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

That's actually really interesting. Do you have any plans for future Sideswipe repaints?

Also, I'm planning to make a Tigertrack and a Clamp Down myself, so its awesome to see someone already go ahead and make one. (I also have Deep Cover in the pipeline!)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chareos

Chareos The last in line

News Credits:
    :drool: Great work!

16. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Deepcover..but I'm waiting to see if someone wants to sell a G2 sideswipe. But some general tips for anyone using this mold.

It's sturdy but potentially more fragile than you think.

1. Don't dip this figure in paint solvents/alcohol. It's back is clear plastic and has a nasty chemical reaction to them.
    2. This is a rookie mistake I made, don't paint the transformation tabs and nooks. Don't paint the inner or bottom of the abdomen piece if you can help it because there is no room for extra paint when it secures under the car.
    3. Be careful with the door hinge on the ankle, it can crack with excess pressure from additional paint.
    4. Remove the paint deco's with Qtips + alcohol such as the head. Partially dip the shoulder or legs..don't submerge as mentioned before. The legs you can submerge if you want..but you'd have to repaint everything.
    5. If you strip Sideswipes paint..clean the crevices(not the back!) with an alcohol qtip when it dries because the paint dust will not clean completely with soap water.
    This is only a problem if you submerge a part like the legs. If you just clean the surfaces gradually you won't have paint dust issues for the most part.
    6. There is a reason HasTak has the underside of the torso door hinges unpainted..it allows it to move freely. Don't paint that area. You can paint the shoulder panels no problem.
    7. The crotch may pop off from heavy handling, it's just glued on, so you may need to superglue it back.
    8. If your paint does gunk up any of the moving panels, support the hinges during transformation so the excess pressure won't crack them. On tigertracks I removed excess paint via xacto knife to correct my mistakes.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Hooper_X

Hooper_X stunticon my haters

Thanks for the tips - they look great.

I'd recommend lightly sanding the moving joints before painting, just to free up a hair more space - but you've gotta be careful not to oversand, as then it ends up floppy!

18. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I've had to retroactively sand or cut away at a few areas with tracks. But your sanding idea could enable me to paint the forearms for Clampdown because they should be metalic. The joint would have scrapped the paint off. With your suggestion it's possible...hmm.

Edit: I sanded the elbows. It was...a challenge. The plastic is hard so I used my Dremel and xacto to chip away at it until the paint scrub was less severe. Its uneven but the paint stays now. Matte black probably would have hid the unevenness in the cut. The forearms are now silver and black.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    • Like Like x 1