SIEGE superultrafanmadeofficiallyunofficialdiscussionforTRUEfansonly...andspoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Me-Yohl-nir

Or thereabouts.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:

Did anyone pick up the free Avengers preview book they are giving out?

3. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marvel's become mostly shock value and little plot, sad part is since they are getting higher sales(a higher cost per book and more books do that) so Dc is starting to follow suit more with cheap shock stories. That was a ploy to get people to read titans(which became unreadble after Geoff Johns left) Instead it just pissed people off. Both companies have lost touch with many of their readers and I have fewer books in my pulls each month. They both need to start thinking long term again and hire artists and writers who can't make it past 6 issues. Marvel needs to stop relying so much on Bendis. He can't write large story arcs. They all end poorly. He also can't write teams, he does better on the books with no large scale implications. I enjoyed Brubaker's Marvel project far more than I did seige. And don't get me started on how Loeb has destroyed the ultimate universe just so he could write a story about wolverine's son and is making hulk rediculous and unreadible. I could go on and on, but it really isn't worth the effort. I'll just spend more money on DVD's and Video games.

5. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

So Rogue and Sentry hooked up. Big deal. Maybe if they're smart they'll show her grieving a little bit afterwards. If they don't, meh, whatever.

I'm just glad Superman is dead.

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

You know, I rarely get obscene on the boards, but in this case?

Marvel? Stop. Sucking. The Sentry's. Cock.

Ever since they intro'd the character, they couldn't shut the hell up about how awesome he was, and the most powerful hero ever, and he was Hulk's bestest pal, and Captain America had a standing appointment to blow him every Thursday.

Then, when we get to read about him, he's a barely controlled psychotic with some destructive form of MPD who's so powerful they have to come up with excuse after excuse as to why he can't come help, and when he does, he often just goes "Black Adam" on his opponent. in the truest heroic tradition.

"Wow, I can't believe Bob's gone. He was such a good man. Remember when he tore Ares in half, lengthwise, while his son was watching? Then damaged Asgard so much it fell out of the sky? While working for Norman Osborn? Such a true hero."

Actually, it is sort of a huge deal. Rogue is a pretty popular character. I mean, popular enough to get a pretty central role in the first 2 X-movies. Her power's crippling side-effect is a major, major aspect of her characterization. To casually toss out the fact that she could touch the Sentry, and never have it come up in any book before, not in any way, is a disservice to the readers. It is. Because it shows contempt for us, in general.

As readers, if the writers do well, we are emotionally invested in the characters. When written well, Rogue is interesting because of who she is and how her power has shaped that, as well as other facets of her history, like her relationship to Mystique. To casually toss this out, to not even show it or reference it before, just to (apparently) make Sentry look even more neat-o, is frankly insulting the readers who were emotionally invested in Rogue's character.

Also the fact is that we never saw the two characters even so much as interact. I'm not sure they ever shared a panel that wasn't a big mass of characters.

Oh, and Sentry had a wife, who he was apparently deeply devoted to and whose death sent him further over the edge. But, y'know, I guess they forgot. It was a literally thoughtless bit of writing in order to further fellate a character that was shoehorned into the past through an irksome retcon and then was built up as Marvel's own Superman, who was then relegated to little more than an unstable a-bomb to be used as a last resort when he wasn't hugging his knees and rocking in the corner.

So yes, it is a big deal only because of the specifics of Rogue's characterization and powers being such a very central deal with her. If it were say, Spider-Woman, then yes, everyone would shrug and maybe wonder if Bob were married at the time or whatever.

Rogue, specifically, is a very different game.

- Coeloptera

7. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Finished reading and still didn't care in the long run. Honestly these last few arcs from Marvel are very lackluster. Seems with every month I'm dropping more titles due to all these underwhelming stories. I don't even look forward to Avengers at this point.

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    While Siege #4 didn't knock my socks off, I did enjoy the overall story. I'm glad it was only 4 issues and not drawn out longer though. As for Loki dying. Come on, he'll be back...it's only a matter of time. I could care less if they ever bring the Sentry back or not.

I quit reading any of the X titles some time ago, but the whole issue w/ a sliver of the Void now being in Cyclops does have me wondering what will happen with that.

I look forward to the new status quo of the Avengers. I like the new teams, the concept of Academy (the return of Speedball!!!) and how Steve, Tony & Thor will all get along (and throw Bucky into the mix as well).

As for the story telling and shock value I would agree somewhat. Bendis has never been my favorite scribe (much prefer Dan Slott, Christos Gage & Matt Fraction), but Siege is over and I can now look back at it as a bridge to the new Heroic Age.

As for the new titles coming I'm planning on buying all the Avengers related books. Academy again looks promising as does Secret Avengers. Though the Hawkeye and Mockingbird series is the one I'm most looking forward too. Cap I'll be dropping. I like the Cap Bucky, but it just isn't the same.

If you guys want some good story telling then pick up the last year's worth of Marvel's cosmic books (Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy). War of Kings and Realm of Kings have been awesome and I can't wait to see what happens next in the Thanos Imperative!

9. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I understand emotional investment and all... but... I think it's pretty much assumed that the Sentry would be able to do that, considering his almost-godly powers. But whatever. It is upsetting to know how something like this would be tossed aside and not be described in MORE detail, especially with Rogue's character facets, but again, I'm done with the Sentry- I don't really care about him anymore.

When i think of Bendis' comment about "tying the past several years together" I think a majority of it has to do with The whole Sentry thing- and I'd rather not see him come back because he's had his run as an important part of the Marvel Universe and as a driving plot point.