Siege Starscream vs Earthrise Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Dmharper80, May 14, 2020.

1. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

Coming tomorrow : Siege Prime vs. Earthrise Prime

• Like Like x 2
  2. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I buy any and every Starscream I can get my hands on.

3. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

Given your username I'm not surprised :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

Maybe not. I ordered it via best buy and instead of optimus prime, they brought me astrotrain. The girl was like, it's just a diffente color. Bitch, please

5. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My problem with ER starscream is that I really wanted to like it. I really wanted to like an earthmode voyager sized starscream that wasn't the awful POTP version. ER starscream is close to what I would've tolerated but it's disappointing when compared to the other Siege and ER voyagers. ER starscream lacks almost standard articulation like waist articulation. It is also too short? I didn't realize this until I compared it with Siege starscream. I feel very conflicted with the figure because it could of been a much better figure than siege starscream. It should've been a no brainer, no hesitation decision to pick ER starscream over siege. But it really isn't. Might have to compromise and just display the ER mold in vehicle mode and siege in robot mode. I'll swap the null rays considering how the ER ones are indeed much better.

• Like Like x 5
  6. joncbenn

joncbenn Groovy

Ones a shellformer the other is an upscaled version of the best seeker mold ever. I mean it’s pretty cut and dry on this one. ER wins hands down.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I think given all the debate here, it's not quite as clear as you think. But I respect your opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They both have their ups and downs. Enough that I don't regret having both. Siege beats out Earthrise on articulation hands down. He can do so much more dynamic looking posing, especially if you use stands for them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

You know, I get tired of Seige being called a shell former. I don't think he is one. His front plate moves to the back and the feet fold up.
    He doesn't have a shell that encloses him.

I may be biased since I had the original shellformer from g1, scourge. Now that was the best and worse example.

• Like Like x 3
  10. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

it’s not like ER Starscream is hugely complex either. He just folds up under his jet mode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

Yeah, I hear shellformer, I think of Car Robots and a lot of Beast Wars, Beast Wars II, and Beast Wars Neo figures, like most literally this guy:

[​IMG]

For Siege seekers, if you remove the backpack, you get a good part of the vehicle, but it has no back, and nothing underneath. You also need to remove the shoulder pylons to get a cockpit, which I think of as a fundamental part of the robot design.

Going by the definition of shellformer on TFwiki:

1) I don't think the alt mode completely (or close enough) closes around the robot parts, especially since the robot parts form the undercarriage of the vehicle.
    2) The robot mode well integrates alt mode parts as part of its design, rather than just hanging off random bits like poor BWN Break.

upload_2020-5-23_14-47-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    1 area where I think EarthRise surpasses SIEGE Starscream is the head sculpt. The EarthRise one looks shifty and somewhat determined whereas the SIEGE one looks unsure. Like if Megatron asked "are you trying to usurp me Starscream?!". EarthRise looks like he would say "No........ of course not but....yesssss" whereas SIEGE looks like he'd say "uhm... well....eh... I'm not sure....".

SIEGE has awesome lightpiping though.

13. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Not quite a Shelformer (that’d actually be an improvement that would at least put his robot bits inside his alt mode), But a backpackformer.

Siege Commander Jetfire
    The pics in this post from the Jetfire review thread show what I feel is so off putting about him. The alt mode can be entirely removed from the body, which doesn’t even fold up convincingly.

I wholeheartedly believe the legs could have been integrated into the nose cone/fuselage somehow, someway and the arms into the wings. But then you’d still have the chest just hanging, fully exposed off the back of the jet.

great Starscream action figure, terrible Transformer.

14. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I'm hoping I can make the term turle former take off lol. Aka they tuck their body parts in a shell.

15. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That headsculpt on earthrise starscream is what I've been waiting for. I knew before getting the figure what to expect and having siege starscream, I thought I'd be disappointed with the er version. Siege seekers are awesome figures and a different (in a nice way) interpretation of the seekers and I'm glad we got them but when I got er starscream, I was not disappointed but impressed. I know he has a few shortcomings, but I can't stop playing with this guy. The headsculpt alone has much more personality than siege, even the thundersmirker face. Sure the siege hands rotate but they are thin and weak. Just after a few transformations, siege screamer and thundersmirkers pins are loose. Overall, between er and siege, I guess I still can't figure out which version I like better. Once I have the er seeker 2 pack maybe a comparison could be done in my collection. Either way, I won't be getting rid of either version and I'm happy to have both.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

Yeah, this. with all that's going on I probably won't bother getting the standard ER Seekers because the alt-mode is basically the only reason I'd be buying them, but whenever we get Coneheads I'll get those for sure.

If I didn't get the Siege ones already I'd be all over these, and if it wasn't going to be the biggest pain ever to buy them I'd probably get them anyway (TC and SW being Target Exclusives in the Coronavirus pandemic means that I likely won't be able to ever find them on the few shopping trips I make there. I just think for what they are, my Siege ones will hold me over, and the Earthrise ones have their own positives to the point where I won't disparage anyone for preferring that mold.

• Like Like x 3
  17. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

My attitude is straightforward:

I have all of the Siege mold seekers. I love them.

I like Earthrise enough to replace the main trio on the shelf but I don't really WANT Rainmakers or the Welcoming Committee to become earth jets.

So I'd say... The main trio are re-buys for me. Coneheads wouldn't work from the Siege mold. I hope any other seekers continue to use the Siege mold but don't regret owning Starscream or setting aside money for Thundercracker and Skywarp.

But in my headcanon, earthmodes should generally be reserved for main characters from S1-2 of Transformers cartoon plus Drift and Slipstream. I might be interested in Windblade getting an earth mode but I don't consider any of her prior forms earthmodes.

For me, earthmodes are limited to a couple dozen high ranking characters from a few decades of a war that lasted for millions of years. Earth is a small but crucial battleground.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yeah. I too am confused by TFwiki describing the Seige Seeker-mold as a shellformer. Just too much of the robot mode forms essential parts of his alt-mode and a lot of his vehicle kibble is incorporated into the robot as the usual Seeker features like the wings and shoulder vents.

19. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

I get it. There is a chunk of the ship attached to the robot by one hinge. You break that hinge, you get a complete robot, and what can be construed as a complete ship. You lose the undercarriage and the leg thrusters, but you would have the wings, pylon, and triple thrusters. But the robot is missing the seeker hallmarks of the shoulder pylons and the wings, and the ship loses the undercarriage, which I see as part of its profile. As I said earlier, if you didn't know they are robot legs, you wouldn't see them as robot legs; you'd think they were thrusters. But even if we could agree they are shellformers (and I don't) I don't think that is an inherently bad thing, any more than being a partsformer is an inherently bad thing. Shellformer became an epithet for the truth massive amounts of kibble found on the Beast Wars and Car Robot figures. Today, some cite Classics Megatron as a shellformer, but I was around when that was released, and I don't recall anyone saying that it was a bad toy (not sure how it holds up in retrospect, but at the time people were happy to have him).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    See, I can see why someone might argue that Megatron is a shellformer, given that the two halves of his gun that wrap around his body just uselessly hang off his back in robot mode and don't really contribute to the aethestic or is reminiscent of Megatron's usual look. Then again, the legs do become the handle of the gun so I don't know.

• Like Like x 1