Siege Starscream vs Earthrise Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Dmharper80, May 14, 2020.

1. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I don't see too many reviews like this, except at the tail end of videos. So this is dedicated to those who need side by side comparison to decide on a purchase.

Check below for the pictures.
    Here are the comparisons

Posing
    Though they can move around about the same, with some key differences.
    Siege has extra joints in the arms
    Siege has waist rotation, ER does not
    ER had a crotch flap but siege doesn't need one.
    Joints come loose on ER knees due to transformation.

Siege advantages:
    Light piped head
    Waist rotation
    Jet mode no hollow area
    Jet mode robot form not obvious underneath
    Robot mode, back is detailed, no parts hanging
    Taller in robot mode
    Symbols show correctly in both modes
    Guns can stay on arms in both modes

Earthrise advantages:
    Guns are better
    Has the earthmode
    Main body is thicker (is this an advantage?)
    Bigger alt mode

Personally, the winner is Siege. But to each their own.

20200514_151637.jpg 20200514_151549.jpg 20200514_151518.jpg 20200514_151430.jpg 20200514_151323.jpg 20200514_151258.jpg 20200514_150909.jpg 20200514_150859.jpg 20200514_150852.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like the robot mode better on the Siege version and the jet mode on the Earthrise version. They're both definitely an improvement on the PotP voyager, though.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

"Jet mode robot form not obvious underneath"

I gotta disagree with that. I like the tetrajet mode, but the legs and arms literally are just hanging down.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I can respect that. The reason I disagree is the legs are folded up and the hands fold into the arms, and then the arms integret into the jet mode. ER looks like you pull down the legs, just like the classic line, a hollow chest and you can see the hands through the hole. You see a good 80% of the ER robot mode under the jet. In Siege the chest plate moves to the back, so it's much less obvious.

5. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    ER wins for me because he's a step closer to his animation model and look we've all been used to. No disrespect to the tetra jet mold, because it IS an awesome mold, but I leave that form for the Seekers who were left on Cybertron, like the Rainmakers. I want an Earth-form Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

And I think that is totally valid.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I’ll probably do the same, but I have no problem with a Siege Thundercracker though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    If EarthRise Screamer had retractable landing gear and the articulation of SIEGE Starscream it would've been the outright winner for me.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I 100% agree. And given the level of engineering possible today, I think there is no good excuse why it didn't.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I prefer Earthrise Starscream.

• Like Like x 3
  11. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Even for being based off of a G1 design, ER Starscream looks so clunky and blocky to me. I just don’t think he looks very appealing. Siege on the other hand almost feels like a Revoltech with how dynamic he is.

• Like Like x 6
  12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Siege loses for:
    • Off model null rays
    • Off model alt mode (it's like the Tetrajet and Battlestar Galactica Viper had a baby and it was the most generic spaceplane ever)
    • Off model, overly skinny shoulder pillars set too far back because they are part of the spaceplane that's not integrated into the robot mode
    • Awful spattered "battle damage"
    • Ugly, insanely over-done greebling
    • UHPS wings facing forward in 'bot mode
    • the way the chest turbines are at surface level instead of set back inside the hollow like ER (his whole torso ends up looking super flat and weird)
    • wearing the entire alt mode as a backpack with no integration of the robot into it: he's literally a robot action figure with a spaceplane backpack
    • likewise, the alt mode just having a robot box hanging off the bottom of it
    • oh, except for the robot mode chest which is just hanging out on the back, with obnoxious red corners popping up over the edges of the alt mode
    I get the Will Ferrell "I feel like i'm taking crazy pills" feeling from all the hype Siege Starscream gets. On top of being ugly, it just doesn't even look half done to me, especially in the alt mode.

I do prefer the proportions of the forearms (but ER has better proportions to the shoulders and biceps) and the hips are way better. I don't know why they did that stupid flappy skirt on ER.

But I'll gladly sacrifice waist articulation for a transformer that actually integrates the robot mode into the alt mode.

that said, Earthrise made some weird design choices like carrying forward that collar from the deluxe (which seem unnecessary based on people modding it off) and the somewhatstrange execution of the the thrust nozzles/feet.
    budgets.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    It really is an 'apples to oranges' argument in this case, isn't it? I (maybe 'we'?) should be of the mindset that it's nice that we don't have the same figure with slightly different alt modes (looking at YOU, ER Megatron). I appreciate that Siege 'Scream is different enough that it warrants a purchase of both forms if so desired, without feeling like you just bought a slight re-deco or something (coughNetflixHoundcough). It really comes down to your own shelf display and what you want. I just want Season 1 Autobots/Decepticons on mine (even though I have some favs from other seasons) so ER is gratifying to showcase to me.
    I think it's cool we live in an age where we can fuss about which exceptional mold of the same character is better.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep, just how I feel.
    ER is more limited on all fronts. It may have the fan-wanky alt mode and lack the battle damage paint (which I LIKE), but Siege is just a lot more fun overall.
    If the ER mold didn't sacrifice everything that made the Siege one so good just for the alr mode then it would be a winner.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Having differences stylistically is a good way to have appreciable differences on both figures as they're different versions of the same character. I just wish the strengths of the SIEGE figure, carried over to the EarthRise mold.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Dmharper80

Dmharper80 Squeegee

I could debate with you all day about this! And that's fun

I'll addesss your points, in order
    • Null rays, you win.
    • I like the alt mode. You aren't wrong, but I like it.
    • At lease this way you get correct facing symbols. But I give you a point.
    • I like the battle damage.
    • I like the greeeble.
    • I like it flat. But ER looked the same to me, just bigger.
    • Yes, and no. He does fold into it and have to twist his legs 180. I don't want to sound like I'm excusing it, but isn't that every jet mode? ER has the front of the plane hanging off his back. Is that better or worse? In this case I would say we both lose.
    • I disagree with the alt mode looks like a robot hanging off it. I would give you a jet with legs. But that gets a Robotech point.
    • The chest plate hanging off the back is bad, but is it better or worse then having a hollow chest with visible hands? I think worse, but other will disagree.

Good discussion, thank you!

• Like Like x 5
  17. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The most important thing in a G1 seeker figure after basics like articulation is a cockpit chest that doesn't cheat. That's enough to make ER the winner for me, but I understand why that may not matter to other people.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Thing is I don't see why they made those sacrifices. They didn't seem needed.

Part of the kibble underneath is that it is kibble people know from the original figure so it is ignored or excused, but it is also very obvious that it's a robot body underneath with its arms and legs tucked in. I'd argue for both figures the kibble stands out mostly because we know what they're supposed to be. Nothing about the Siege Seeker's arm and leg kibble necessarily says they're arms or legs except we know that's what they are, and likewise ER's torso, legs, and arms. To me each has kibble hanging under, but both have fun alt modes regardless. I could certainly give the edge here to ER since it has the task of actually looking like a real thing, and mostly succeeds in that.

In terms of transformation, I like the Seeker version better. Just feels smoother, and while I get the shellformer criticism, it doesn't feel like it while I am transforming it. It also avoids the egregious sin of BW and RiD shellformers in which you have random kibble hanging everywhere. The nose cone, wings, and thrusters are incorporated into the robot mode in an aesthetically pleasing way.

When you get to robot mode, I think Siege has much better proportions. I find ER's torso too boxy, and it doesn't look good from the sides. The head looks too small (thanks to the big torso), and I just don't care for the way the fins make the lower legs so wide and flat. I also think the back kibble looks better on Siege than on ER.

For the null rays, sure ER is closer to the G1 model. Since every other part of SS's body is different in Cybertron form, I don't see why the guns can't look a bit different, too. I think the aesthetics of the sculpts work well for their respective toys, and it doesn't influence me one way or the other.

Can't really argue greebles and battle damage. We can all see it is there. Either someone likes it or they don't. My only issue is that the battle damage is the same across all the seeker modes, but I can't hold that against the original figure.

In the end, I just find the Siege mold more fun. Totally subjective, unquantifiable opinion. ER has a better (if familiar) alt mode, but I still like the tetra viper (and yes, I like BSG so it's echoes of a colonial viper are not a negative to me), and I prefer the transformation and robot mode.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Shlockwave

News Credits:
    I just hope this means that those who have no interest in the ER mold will skip the Skywarp/Thundercracker 2 pack, so it will increase the chances of my finding one! But who am I kidding?;) 

• Like Like x 3
  20. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm proudly in the Siege corner. I have very little interest in the ER mold besides the jet mode - which looks great. Having said all that, the photos of the 2-pack of Thundercracker and Skywarp has created an interest in the mold that the Starscream figure did not. I can't explain why. All I know is if I pull the trigger on the 2 pack then I will also get Starscream to complete the trio.

• Like Like x 5