Minor/Repaint: Siege Ratchet color adjustment

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MrUniqZ, Nov 2, 2019.

1. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wasn’t happy with the color choice for Ratchet so I took queues from the cartoon and previous efforts of others. I followed some suggestions on using Rit Dye and I’m happy with how this turned out. It’s the cherry red color.

I'm going to add a red stripe down the leg panel eventually. I'll post the finished pics here at some point.

I think the core body and hands definitely should have been at least red from the start. Hasbro if you are reading this, those old color schemes make these figures familiar....correct color matters. I put potp Jazz in the picture to show the same point.

What I did:
    1) Any brand of Rit Dye will work but this particular color is cherry red. Not Dyemore/race red.

2) Just unscrew the back off, no need to separate the crotch further. The liquid will penetrate all crevices.

3) I used a small pot, not a pan. Bring water to a low boil...not a high boil. You don’t need to cook the part. I added a little dish soap. Some instructions mention vinegar or other additives...no need here.

4) Add dye, a few pours, doesn’t take much... and stir. Add part and occasionally stir. 20 minutes. Again don’t cook the part, the water should just be agitated from the heat, not full boil.

5) Stop heat, and let it sit for 40 minutes. That should give it a deep cherry red color.

Some have reported Sideswipe takes dye OK too. So there may be avenues to play with plastic color there too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 29
  2. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Wow that looks really good. I was thinking of having the same thing done with mine. I got 2 so I could mod 1 like the comics(red helmet and hands) and the other for cartoon colors(red waist area).

did you disassemble the waist? What’s holding it together? I was just looking at mine earlier and Didn’t see any screws. Is it glue? I hope not. Hate when they glue parts...

3. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    It is all held together by screws..atleast the areas you need to get to. So if you have a tiny screwdriver it shouldn't be a problem. 3 screws total hold together his chest, then you can remove the core and drop it in dye. I was tempted to do the red head look too..but I just want one Ratchet :p . Post pics when you are done!

4. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    By “waist”, I meant his crotch piece. I should have been more specific. Sorry. That crotch piece seems to be held together by glued tabs.

I’ve never dyed anything. And I suck at painting. But hopefully I won’t need to do much...

5. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Ah, the dye gets in the crevices pretty good so I didn't have to remove his crotch. I stove boiled, so that may have helped too.

6. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    looks good and the dye probibly woorks really good considering the parts are white i bet they dye easly and well

7. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

What is the trick to the dye?... I could never get it to work... I tried to dye the igear Beachcomber and he didn't get any darker and I wound up just melting the wheels.

Did you strip the red paint parts with alcohol or did you just paint over them?

Looks great! I wish they could have done what you did from the get-go...

8. dragonflye18

Twitter:
    another thought. just get another ironhide for the red parts they are the same parts that are red

9. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I was thinking of trying this exact same thing myself, but with paint since I've never tried dye. How'd you strip the red paint from the white plastic on his arms and legs?

10. DragonSuperman

DragonSuperman Well-Known Member

Impressive! I definitely want to do this myself. This is what it should've looked like in the first place.

11. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    From what I understand not all plastics take dye easily. Thankfully this piece did. And I didn't have to prep it...just heated the water to a low boil, dropped in some dye, stirred, then dropped in the parts. I only applied active heat for 20 minutes, I let it just sit for 40 more in the pot.

From now on i'm certainly going to strongly consider Dye ..it was very ideal in this case.

As for stripping the paint 91% iso alcohol does the trick but i have mineral spirits also. Whatever you do keep that stuff away from clear plastic.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, Ironhide has gray fists and waist pieces.

13. dragonflye18

Twitter:
    lol i stand corrected lmao not home at the moment so made a mistake rembered wrong . still the white plastic i bet dyed easy.

14. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

NIce :thumb s

15. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Wow,..... really cool looking and the dye job looks great as well. At first i thought Ratchet came that way till i checked mine and realized that after reading alittle it was dyed.

16. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Dude was leaking from his crotch today :) . I didn’t know the water could even get in there but luckily it didn’t stain the white. Give it time to completely dry from dipping, FYI.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

It's been a minute since I've dyed parts, but a friend recommended building a "double boiler" system - put the dye and water in one container (say, an aluminum can) then suspend that can in a larger pot of water that you ACTUALLY bring to a boil. They make kitchen gadgets that could do this for you, or you can just like, build a little tower out of forks or something for the can to sit on.

I've yet to try it but damned if you haven't given me the bug.

18. Medicon

Medicon Well-Known Member

hey, new here, love how you did him!
    just had a few questions:
    1. what kind of rit dye did you use,?
    2. what color formula for the dye?
    3. what all did you separate to dye?
    4.how did u do the hands?
    5. did you dye the wheels?

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Looks good! Nice work!

20. MrUniqZ

Ebay:
    Hands were dyed too. Wheels is just paint. I updated my first post with how I did it.