Customs: Siege Paint Removal Thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Vector Oracle, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since the Siege appreciation thread was getting filled with comments about how to remove the battle damage, I decided to make a seperate thread for that. Post your methods of paint removal (and images) here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. King Glurch

King Glurch It's too late for Christmas, Starscream!

YouTube:
    Put some 91% alcohol into a cotton ball and just keep rubbing it until it’s gone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cotton ball or Q-tip with the alcohol.
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works nicely as well.

NEVER use nail polish remover. It contains acetone and will melt and/or crack the plastic. Some paint stripper will also damage plastic, so read the label first.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KayODave

KayODave Still a grey prototype

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Specifically use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Can be found at any Walmart pharmacy. Other common concentrations include 70% and 99% but they don’t work. It has to be 91%.

Avoid getting the alcohol on clear plastic as it will damage it. And if you’re going to do this, realize and accept that tampo’d details such as faction symbols are likely to be collateral damage. You’ll have to use reprolabels or some other sticker to restore them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this thread is unnecessary. Remember, it was birthed out of the Siege appreciation thread. I'd think one should appreciate the paint apps on these figures, as well. Can't have it both ways. ;) 

(All needling aside, this thread is a welcome necessity. I just find some of the complaints about paint removal talk is kind of two-faced. The whole thread is chock-full of people complaining about the paint apps, but these figures are supposedly perfect, thus no need to remove the apps. Just something that gnaws at me, y'know?)

Anywho, I second the alcohol method. Acetone is nasty, nasty stuff. It'll eat the paint on your nails and it'll eat through plastic, you have to wonder what it does to your body that you can't see. *shudders*

6. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

I don't know what the big deal is, I barely notice the battle damage on my Siege figures.

7. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    Don’t even use acetone free nail polish remover
    It did something weird to Megatrons legs

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I really disliked the battle damage on Ultra Magnus. A few spots are fine (I don't mind it on the grill, but I'd like to touch it up a bit more to my liking), but the chest and toes were pretty ugly to my eyes.

Since I feel like this thread is not about "what do I use?" and more "how do I do it?", this was my method:
    Step 1: 91% Isopropyl alcohol, as we all know. Took the bottle, squirted maybe .75 cm into a small glass bowl (I'm sure any bowl will be fine)
    Step 2: Soak a q-tip in it. Don't just dip - SOAK.
    Step 3: Toes. Use it like a pencil eraser on stubborn marks. Don't be gentle, it may take some work.
    Step 3: Chest. I started with q-tips, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Since I'd used some of the alcohol on the toes, the fluid level was down enough that I could soak just the blue part in the bowl. Be careful - the piece that flips up and under is white plastic painted red (the part the head is on is red plastic). Give it 30-60 sec. I'm sure it'd be easier if you want longer, but I'm an impatient asshole. Play with either wet or dry q-tips or cotton balls to see what removes it best.

Also, I took off the battle damage on the insides of his forearm armor. Same method - just set them in the bowl, played some video games for a few mins, rubbed it off.

NONE of Shockwave's "battle damage" bothers me. It just looks like well-done weathering to me. It's also on already painted parts, so that's something I don't know how to deal with. It's just the feet and shoulder armor, too.

I'm undecided on Sideswipe at the moment, but I'll probably remove his.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Mod

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Keep this rollin , guys!

Also, feel free to post any type of tutorials on this here. Even the simplest of things are helpful because a great many collectors are hesitant to attempt things in fear of ruining their figures they've bought with their hard earned money.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I don't know if this has been addressed, but can a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, with or without alcohol, do the trick on removing these apps? I know (from personal experience) that they can remove permanent marker, so I was wondering if they'll provide the same effect with a paint app such as these.

11. Constructor

Constructor Samedi delivery!

I have used a magic eraser on Megatron's chest and it worked pretty well. It didn't get into the little indents on his chest, but it got all the marks that bothered me. Just remember to scrub hard and it'll get it.

12. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Did you use any alcohol with it or just straight out of the box? I know they "activate" with water for certain jobs.
    I do find it crappy of Hasbro (I know, it's business, not personal) that they're reissuing some of these Siege molds in toon deco (with cel shaded windows) for the 35th subline. It's... merde.

13. Constructor

Constructor Samedi delivery!

I used only water with the magic eraser. And yeah, that's kind of baloney of Hasbro.

14. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've used magic erasers with just water to remove paint even from clear plastic. It takes a bit more work, but its easier to keep from damaging things like faction symbols.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RocketJMox

RocketJMox Member

Okay, Shockwave...

His feet appear to be purple plastic, painted silver...but the weathering is purple? So when I rubbed in the alcohol, I gave it more weathering!
    Now I think I need to go the other way -- painting over what I did? Thankfully, I only mucked with the toes, but I'd like to get these back to pristine.

- Anybody else experience this?
    - I'm entirely inexperienced at painting. What's the best way to color match and what paint would you recommend for the toes?

16. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz KABLAMO!!!

Ebay:
    I recommend a qtip for Starscream due to the paint EVERYWHERE.

17. Shoujax

Shoujax Well-Known Member

Something weird is going on...the paint is NOT coming off megatron.... anyone else having this problem with 91% solution?

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I'm having that problem with the silver on Soundwave. The battle damage paint is harder to get off than the other paint apps. After two hours last night and I don't know how many today I just said screw it and put the legs in to soak. After this I think I will be skipping a lot more of WOC unless I really, really like a figure of a character I already have or if I don't have them like Apeface.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shoujax

Shoujax Well-Known Member

Order the 99% solution offa Amazon. It does WONDERS.

20. Autobot00

Autobot00 Well-Known Member

anything you can soak in 91% alcohol should be soaked to make it easier. Clear plastic no and never. I made that mistake when i found out POTP swoops head is clear plastic. I dipped megatrons legs when i was making Guiltaur and it took a couple soaks for it to get it off. It still leaves a faint ghost of them though. The q-tip method does work well in areas you cannot soak. Its just time consuming. Use a tooth brush after pulling it out of a soak to get the details clean. If you soak it and it doesnt just brush/wipe off put it back in longer. If its soaked long enough it should just come right off without scrubbing. And never rub too hard. You can rub the paint into the plastic. I learned that the hard way.