Minor/Repaint: SIEGE Magnus boost

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Apr 4, 2019.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

So, here's my SIEGE Magnus after a quick fix. I hated that his proportions were so squashed and that the thickness of his legs actually hampers his articulation a bit.

I just checked, and it appears that Shepard Prime has done a very similar alteration. Like his mod, I cut away some of the interior obstructions in Magnus' "boots"... but then instead of cutting off the leg clips, I drilled a couple of small holes in each boot for the clip to peg into. I elected not to remove the wheels. Not everything is 100% flush, but good enough for now. I'll maybe adjust it a bit later.

It was maybe 2 minutes of work with a knife, and the drilling was very quick (getting the holes in just the right place is the tricky part). The boots aren't locked on as strongly as they are normally, but this is still really solid. You can shake him around and they don't pop off easily.

I'll take some close-up pictures of the cuts a bit later when I have time, but if you have the figure, you can see exactly where the plastic needs to be cut away so he has room for his toe in the boot. Then you just drill some small holes that line up with the clip on the side of the leg.

Sorry for not having a comparison pic, but he gains almost a full inch of height and I think it looks good on him! Of course, he's still smaller than the CW version of Magnus, but not by nearly as much.

01.JPG 02.JPG 04.JPG 03.JPG

zmog

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks cool

3. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Proportions look better to my eye. Can he still go stock configuration, or is that option out? Interior shot of the leg would be helpful.

4. SMOG

Sorry, I'll obviously have to do another round of photos to show size comparison and where I made cuts.

But yeah, the standard configuration is unaffected (part of why I elected to drill instead of removing the clips). You can still lock the legs into the old shorter configuration. The cuts don't affect the alt-mode in any way. :thumb 

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  5. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Hell yes I'll do it just to have the option!

6. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Can you show the changes?

7. Vinjax01

Vinjax01 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Love this figure so much I got two of them! One shall be modded - so say we all!! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Just did this. Works great. My legs will clip into the holes I drilled as well. Will need some fine tuning. Here's my cuts and holes (I hadn't brushed the excess plastic shavings away). The plastic is really tough even with the holes being so close there was no stress to the ingreity at all. Works like a charm. 20190404_185116-1.jpg 20190404_185056-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Looks good Smog. In hindsight, I wish i'd left the clip on and just made new clip in holes for them to grab onto as you did. I was a bit of a scaredy cat. :) 

Also, if you have an issue with the forced toe tilt like I did, you can cut (i used a Dremel disk to make a straight cut) the toe completely away from the rest of the leg but leave the pin it's attached to. You'll be able to swing the toes independently of the leg and rotate them so they're not crooked in alt mode or bot mode standing straight up. I didn't do it as i had it in my head by that point to replace the toes altogether but it's something I noticed could be done while taking the toes off.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  10. SMOG

I'll have a look at that. Because of the cuts I made inside, there's no obstruction on the toes, but it does sort of bug me that the Magnus bot's feet can't point / pivot down.

Looks good! I have to confess, I was a bit sloppy when I did mine, so yours are probably better. :)  If I had placed my holes more carefully, I could probably get them to clip better, but I was lucky that it was still enough to get a good grip overall.

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  11. SMOG

Incidentally, I'll just share a little trick I use for drilling holes for stuff.

If you have a medium-sized pair of scissors, there's usually one blade that's a little pointier. I find that if you drill a small hole first, and then insert the scissors and turn them slowly, the scissor blade will very gradually carve the hole larger. It will stay a proper circle, but it allows you to slowly make the hole incrementally larger - this is handy if you need the fit to be just right (like getting it to the size where it will hold a 5mm peg securely).

The edge of the scissor blade relative to the torque you get makes it pretty easy to carve away plastic in a drilling motion, and because the blade gradually widens, you can increase the size of the hole bit-by-bit. It's a bit more relaxed and quieter than using a Dremel tool.

In the case of the above mod, I used a Dremel for the first 'boot' and screwed up and put the holes in slightly the wrong spot. The second 'boot' I used an old scissor blade, and it turned out just right.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  12. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Wow, this makes him look much better. I think I’m going to try this myself.

13. ReturnoftheMack

ReturnoftheMack Well-Known Member

For context, would you be able to take a comparison pic with a voyager and deluxe? Do you by chance have CW magnus you can take a side by side pic with? Thanks for sharing!

14. SMOG

Yeah, I'll see what I can do when I get home.

The short version is that he gains almost a full inch of height. He's still a head shorter than CW Magnus, and not nearly as wide/bulky

However, just FYI, Siege Magnus feels like he weighs more than CW Magnus. He's just way more solid.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I got this Mr. SMOG, kick your feet up and relax. You've done enough. 20190406_072702-1.jpg 20190406_072904-1.jpg 20190406_072941-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  16. SMOG

• Like Like x 1
  17. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

That looks really good, I wish they had designed it this way from the start and maybe added some flip-up kneecaps

18. SMOG

I know, right? It's really unnecessary to have him be that stumpy. And his thick legs obstruct some of his leg movement when they're that short.

Fortunately, this is a really easy fix. I had it done within an hour of getting mine home.

zmog

19. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    That looks really good!

I wonder how this mod will look on the Leader Optimus figure...

20. SMOG

I can't imagine it looking bad. :) 

zmog