Siege Commander Jetfire

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Jun 15, 2019.

1. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Good post. Yea, i never said it was the dw design come to life, but it does have more than a few nods to Don's desgin.

And yes i was being a tad hyperbolic in my initial post about tje similarities in design.

2. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    OK, so I’ve had this dude for a month or so and DAMN, what a GREAT figure!

Now, as far as I can tell, the tfw search engine used to find existing threads and posts kinda... blows (sorry, best TF site)... so I’m mentioning this but for all I know this is old news.

However, before obtaining this fig, the only real review video I watched beforehand mentioned how hard it was to extract the RED handles that are used for other bots to hang on to the undercarriage. Which is not untrue.

Tonight when fiddling with him, I discovered that if you push forward on the white “hip flaps”, it moves said red pegs forward at the same time!

Again, probably old news, but figured I’d throw it out there... surprised me for sure!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I end up inadvertently doing that all the time while posing him or transforming him. One of those little design nods that makes perfect sense when you see it in action, but remains almost completely hidden when it's just sitting there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    Seriously! I’ve had him for over a month and have never accidentally pushed those in that direction... why wouldn’t that be in the instructions??

Oh wait, HasTak.... LOL

• Like Like x 2
  5. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up Jetfire today. Normally I would have waited to see if he went on sale, but I think there won't be that many in stock for long. $80 is a big inventory risk for Walmart when they put plenty of Siege leaders on sale for $35 and then $25.

I got to say that for $80 I'm pretty disappointed with the box. Sure it is fine, but with no window you can't really inspect the figure before purchase. Plus the other figures in the Siege line have overkill boxes. If you're paying $20 and getting a premium box, paying $80 and getting a box like the cheapo bargain store figures is a let down. I'd rather have cheap boxes and pay less. Which leads me to feel that the $80 price is a bit steep.

Jetfire looks great, but the plastic in a lot of places is sub-par. The paint on mine is a little sloppy and I had to scratch off some black paint drips on the legs. I also don't like the slightly yellow plastic on the shoulders compared to the white plastic elsewhere. The joints are pretty good, but I did need to tighten some screws. The left hip was almost falling out. When I tried to stand Jetfire out of the box, the leg just slipped straight out. Tightening the screw helped. So far I have not bought a single Siege figure that did not need some kind of fix out of the box. So a total QC failure for Hasbro across the board.

Jetfire is hefty, which is great compared to the T30 Jetfire. But that should be expected for an extra $35. When transforming him, the cost cutting became apparent. The side vent covers are extremely cheap and don't tab well. The neck and shoulder plate is also made from cheap bendy plastic, which causes issues with tabbing and trying to hold the weight of the nose. There are a lot of small clearance issues from assembly that caused parts to not line up. The right leg would not line up properly when folded and could not tab without stressing the leg. I needed to take apart the leg and reassemble it to get the tab and hole to line up.

Jetfire had a really blocky jet mode in the cartoon. This toy kind of captures that. Sitting the toy on a desk, it looks great in jet mode. Picking it up and inspecting it reveals a lot of gaps and hollow areas. I would have liked some more folding covers or something to hide the arms underneath. The folding fists and handles are very sloppy and the collapsing double elbow joint for transformation is begging to break. The arms in general are not up to snuff for an $80 figure.

I don't think Jetfire will hold up well with extended play sessions from a kid. So it loses toy points.

Pros

A Hasbro toy that looks like G1 Skyfire and in proper scale.
    Paint is good quality, but the application might be hit and miss.
    Figure is hefty and has lots of articulation.
    Headsculpt is great.
    Accessories are fun.
    You might not ever see a figure like this again.

Cons

$80 is expensive for what you get, but when Shockwave is $50 for a small voyager with some extra bits, you can't expect any less from Hasbro.
    Packaging is pretty terrible when other figures get fancy boxes with backdrops and windows.
    Some pretty poor paint application on my copy that required careful scraping.
    Too many cheap quality plastic parts for $80.
    There is a good amount of hollowness from the underside.
    Needed to be fixed out of the box. Screws should not be falling out of $80 toys.

When posed and looking at him, the figure is an A all the way. It is when you start handling it, that points start dropping off. The cheap shoulders and neck area along with some poor tabbing drops him to a B. For the money, those areas should have been better.

The fact that my copy needed some disassembly and repair out of the box drops my copy to a C. Maybe some are better, but without being able to see what you are getting it is a crapshoot.

But it is Jetfire, which is almost a must have for a collector. However for a kid, I'd almost say to try and find a classics version. The quality is a lot better and the transformation is easier. A kid will have more fun with the classics version and probably not come back in ten minutes with a broken $80 toy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would totally buy a third party ratchet joint upgrade for this.
    His joints remind me of the transformers prime toys when all the simple friction ratchets started showing up in place of proper spring loaded ones.
    The shoulder connections straight up suck. I would have liked to see some form of latch over whatever they are doing here.

I like this guy and what they are attempting to do here, but he feels like an upscaled voyager in some respects.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Still waiting on this guy to turn up.

Congrats to those who have him.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Well-Known Member

I got out my old 2005 Leader Cybertron Optimus Prime to compare with my 2019 Leader Siege Galaxy Mode Optimus, and damn, if it isn't more comparable in size to 2019 Commander Siege Jetfire. I mean it's shorter, but with the wings and stuff, he's a bit bigger in overall mass. And if you're into action features he's got those too (and electronics!). All Jetfire has is some seats for *masters, and some so-so armor. Still, I love the Jetfire a lot, just wow, the times they are a changin...

9. Ralliart209

Ralliart209 Well-Known Member

My jetfire came in from amazon today. After taking him out of box and handling him/ checking him out, he is soo much better than the T30/LG07 jetfire from 2015 size wise and looks and feel. However im debating to send him back for a exchange since mine has some paint issues, kinda debating if i should try to fix paint issues myself :/........
    C09776D8-2299-4DCA-8E8F-26D0C06CA3E5.jpeg
    E48A1808-8062-4AE0-BCD0-4C470B00558F.jpeg 596D515D-7DEE-470F-9403-B2458B804076.jpeg 6F1CFCE6-1639-412B-9671-07C7889A1FC8.jpeg 6391E20A-6F10-40D2-BC59-C6448ACA319C.jpeg 7ADEB81F-511A-44A3-B7A1-3FE00A28D81F.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Dang, that looks like a return rather than a new figure. I don' tknow about any one else but mine didn't have scuffs/scratches in any of the painted areas. Also ordered from Amazon.

11. Ralliart209

Ralliart209 Well-Known Member

Thats the thing, it was brand new, i even checked the seal tape to look for possible reseal and no, single piece of factory tape top and bottom, no signs of tampering

12. Tismark

Tismark Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Wow! Not good, I’m glad mine came unscathed. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

13. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Mine was brand new and came with some scuffing on the backpack's white paint too (a bit more than yours, to be honest). Mine also came with a black scuff on the chest flap that connects his armour, and a tiny bit of extra paint glooped on his left thigh and faceplate.

But little things like that can't get in the way of how good this big suckah is!

IMG_20190820_160331094.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Optimum Supreme

Likewise. If it's gonna bother you and you can return it, you might as well before it's too late.

I was watching a video review a while back in late July and it included an unboxing segment, and his had some minor scuffs on the backpack he seemed to think were caused by the raw cardboard being too rough where it was in contact with the toy. I dunno, mine was in the same box (aren't they all?) and didn't have those scuffs, and how weak would the paint and plastic have to be to get damaged by plain old cardboard, even if it's not smooth & glossy? I'm guessing his might have been damaged during shipping somehow or before being packaged.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

Got my Jetfire yesterday, via Amazon. Good condition, joints are solid, the effects parts were okay except for one of the smallest bits, which got warped int he heat of the transit (temps were hitting 100 in the index for my area, oof)

I like this figure. Him big, almost too big, but still a great figure. Now I just need to find a heavy duty flight stand with a 5mm peg. Any suggestions?

16. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After a month, finally got to play around with him. I'll have to read this thread for some features not in the instructions like Jametron pointed out on the hips! Could easily be an MP if they upsized, smoothed out the greeble and gave it a more MP feel. Looks like the toon!
    20190820_230827(1).jpg 20190820_230852.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Optimum Supreme

Nice custom mask! Did you make it or is it some kinda 3rd party add on?

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The antennae are from Matrix Prime 3rd party and the eyes and mouth are stickers from Reprolabels.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

I have those same ears on the way from China.

He is a very fun figure. One of the few that truly embraces it's "Toy-ness" and runs with it
    without pretense or shame. I did have to do a little paint clean up here and there, but not
    anything too awful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Just take a little rubbing alcohol to the legs. It'll take those black smudges off. I had to do that with my copy.