Shuraking or Zeta Dinokong?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by mouschi, Jan 10, 2020.

1. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

Curious as to what your thoughts are - which dino combiner do you like best and why?

2. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    Shuraking was a thing of beauty but was wobbly as hell. Zeta(as much as I love them) looked like grimlock and a chicken had a baby

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I had both (at least, I have the Toyworld version). Neither are great, but if I had to pick one it's the Zeta ToyWorld one. It's easier to mess with, it scales better with CHUG, and it actually looks transformed in combined mode instead of like Grimlocks wearing the other Dinobots. GCreation is bigger, but not enough to be MP, they're kind of fiddly, and some if the engineering decisions made on that set are flat out stupid. Like, the combined mode relies on a ton of partsforming, but the combined head is integrated into Grimlock. But to make room for the head they made part of Grimlock's dino neck a partsforming piece. It was such a mess that I removed parts needed for combined mode (like that head) and just displayed they uncombined.

4. alzula

alzula Well-Known Member

I got shuraking, and it looks amazing, but its a floppy mess. The main trex body just cant support the weight and i had a lot of issues getting it to a point where it wouldnt fall apart, but eventually i ended up using a non slip mat to display it on and that was what saved it for me. Joints arent great, and it basically only looks good in combined mode due to the awkward sizing of the limbs (grimlock is <mp grimlock sized, others are about voyager sized). That said, i absolutely love the way it looks, and wouldnt bother with the zeta one myself. I would like to see a dinocombiner with modern engineering and parts forming to make it more stable.

5. blurr95

blurr95 Team Monkey Pants

Like everyone else has said, I have Shuraking as well, looks fantastic, unfortunatly, it wobbles better then it looks. I have been to busy to really mess with it to much, but I still like it. Never messed with the Zeta version.

Jason

6. alzula

alzula Well-Known Member

To give an update, i took down shuraking today to try to pose it. The ratchets on both of grimlocks legs no longer work (completely stripped). I ended up using zip ties to hold the legs together, but am seriously contemplating superglue. These figures were brand new, and only transformed into combined mode, and have been standing untouched for 12+ months now. Personally i find it hard to justify the 500+ price tag on a combiner that cant even just 'stand' for more than 12 months. Neither arm is able to hold a 90 degree pose (straight forward), their weight is too much.

So my updated advice, is if you can get all 5 for 200, it makes an okay display as long as you never move it after first transformation. Anything more than that isnt worth it. I would love for someone to make an updated constructor version thats more stable, but this and zeta's both wooble way to much.

7. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, this may not help your decision on a combiner, but toyworld’s Dinobots scale great for a classics collection, I don’t think I’ll ever combine them either, just too fun as individuals :D 

8. mouschi

Thank you guys! To update this post, I ended up getting both - they are fantastic! I'll give another update more in depth soon ... I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Wow, a hard decision, good thing you went with the least expensive method.

• Like Like x 3
  10. mouschi

LOL right?! I'll be moving one of them soon, actually. I just wanted to make sure I got a good feel for both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AlphaBass

AlphaBass Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can't speak for Shuraking. I've seen the reviews, and though I like the designs, I think stability would be a huge issue for me.

I do have Dinokong, and I like it for a couple of reasons:
    - Have been able to transform through the various modes and they all feel solid and stable (tolerances are improved over Toyworld, to where some of them are stupid tight)
    - Combined mode has heft, and is very stable (and doesn't look like Motormaster carrying 4 cars)
    - It's cheaper (I think?) than any of the other sized/larger ones out there

But if I were to improve on some things:
    - Height, as he stands smaller than my POTP Predaking and the dino modes don't scale well with MP figures
    - Weapon storage (the dino modes have hidden compartments to store clear swords, which doesn't make much sense since all the figures come with their own swords and guns)
    - Swoop's design. Good grief he looks like a winged box that would be mistaken for a delivery from Amazon and not a pteranadon.

All in all, I looked at the PO for Shuraking and was interested, but the stability turned me off to it. I'm happy with my purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    ^When I saw BBTS front page ad for the Shuraking set, I briefly thought it said "$135 for a set of 5 figures" not "$135 off a set of 5 figures".

:lol  guess I got spoiled by the Warbotron Computron set for $150

• Like Like x 3
  13. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got the Toyworld ver. and I agree with some of these improves
    - Weapon storage makes no sense when you take for instance Slag and his tail axes, it's a halfed@$$ system at best
    - Swoops design, this cant be stated enough imho, also i would've liked for his alt head to point down like Shura as it's just kinda there unless it flops back and it's just akward and stupid while on the subject
    - Slag's head would've been better if instead of pointing up, if it could rotate and face down as well and double as a shield (think MMPR Mastadon shield)
    - Grimmy's combiner legs could've been designed just a tad bit better and more stable instead of that weird plug holding the floating leg on

- i enjoy the size, heck he fits in pretty well with my 15in combiners
    - color choices, due to Slag getting slagged in red, i bought the blue one to replace which gave me 2 blue arms which is cool, not as cool as if i'd have 5 red based, but still a sense on cohesion which i like in my combiners

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlphaBass

AlphaBass Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm ready to part with this, as awesome as it is. Any takers?
    20210927_173213.jpg

• Like Like x 2