Shout Factory Fixes to G1 Season 2

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by SaurusX, Jan 23, 2020.

1. SaurusX

SaurusX Member

YouTube:
    Is there a comprehensive list of fixes that Shout Factory applied to their release of G1 season 2 episodes? I essentially mean differences between Shout Factory and the earlier Rhino sets. There are plenty of resources for season 1, but a list for season 2 seems to be harder to locate. I've checked tfwiki and they seem to mention a few, but are there more?

2. Lead Bounder

Lead Bounder New Member

The problem with (unfinished) work prints being used for the Rhino dvd's was limited to certain episodes from the first season. Season 2 and forth never had such issues to begin with (at least not to my recollection), so none had to be fixed on the Shout Factory releases. I do remember reading that the camera shaking in The Core was not present on the Rhino dvd's, but I have no idea about this myself. Other than that, all I can think of are the episode title cards that had to be digitally recreated (since they were not present on the original film reels), which led to one spell error being fixed and another one being created.

In the audio department, Shout went with 2.0 mixes that sound very close to the original mono mixes. Rhino went with 2.0 and 5.1 mixes that a) sound awfully thin and b) came with additional sound effects.* They did however included the original mono mixes on their Season 3-4 dvd's as an additional option.

* Some episodes on the Season 1 and Season 2 Part 2 set didn't have the additional sound effects on their 2.0 mixes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaurusX

SaurusX Member

YouTube:
    Thanks for the info. I'm attempting a restoration project whereby I'm using the Rhino video as the base (it's objectively better), but incorporating the Shout Factory fixes as well as any others that SF may have missed. The UK Maverick set is being used to fill those final gaps. If I don't have to hunt through every episode of season 2, 3, and 4 (though I did find the two scenes in "The Killing Jar" that SF fixed), then it's a great relief.

And yes, the Shout Factory audio is being used all the way.