Shouldn't the Transformers toys for the movie been made out of metal instead of Plast

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by luivahanney, Jun 11, 2014.

1. luivahanney

luivahanney New Member

I mean come on how cheap can the manufacturer be. Most Transformers or at least the Classics were made from metal and not cheapo Plastic that breaks easily.

What's Safety got to do with it? I've heard of more kids swallowing stuff made from Plastic. Like the Infamous story "My son crammed a lego up his nose", that alot of Emergency room doctors have to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  2. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Well-Known Member

There was die-cast metal in G1 figures, but they were hardly made of the stuff.

Using metal instead of plastic would drive up the cost of the product, the cost of shipping the product, basically increased prices everywhere. Plus, in the name of structural integrity, the articulation would be severely limited. Transformations would be really simple, since metal doesn't have the same capacity to flex that plastic does. Joints would loosen VERY fast with the increased weight....

I'm not opposed to the limited inclusion of die-cast in reasonable spots, but to make transformers out of metal is a simply a bad idea. Just look at the Titanium line for proof.

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The cost of producing them in meta would be much higher than plastic.

4. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

Die-cast hasn't been a retail staple in any toy for decades, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Also, not only is metal much more expensive, but it's significantly heavier, paint doesn't adhere as consistently to it, and there isn't really a need for it at all.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

1 - Is this a real person? Because the random image html for 'http://goo.gl/By3lyb' at the end has me confused.

2 - Unless the only 'Classics' you bought were... well, the TRU-reissued Soundwave, there was no die-cast metal in the Classics line whatsoever. Hell, I don't even know if Soundwave had any.

6. AAarcher221

AAarcher221 NomDePlume: Jimmy Rustler

Of course they're made out of metal.

Just check the pins and screws.

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By "classics" I think he/she/it means g1

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree - using metal or diecast will definitely increase production costs which means higher prices for us, the paying customer.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think if Hasbro is really serious about promoting AoE, they should make all the toys out of platinum, and have the clear parts be diamond. And rubber tires.

10. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yes! Yes! EXACTLY! Finally! Someone who gets it! Oh yes! I cannot wait to pay $40 - $50 for a deluxe! And those oh so sweet legends class figures, each at $25 - $30!! WOOHOO!!!

Oh yeah! Don't forget those wonderful threads that happen every year!!!!! Y'all know what I'm talking about. You know...those threads talking about how expensive toys are?

I can't wait for a die cast one step transforming prime!!! Just what I've always wanted! :D 

/Sarcasm.

But seriously....I'd rather have Hasbro keep it with the plastic. Like it's already been mentioned, having these kinds of toys made out of metal will definitely drive up costs. And then in a few years, you're going to have people bitching about paint chipping and all the other problems to be had.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  11. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Back in my day, all my transformers were made of steel! I had to walk 40 miles to the general store in town to get them!

12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    No. No more metal parts please (apart from screws and the like. The paint chips horribly from the metal parts and the extra weight wears out the joints faster.

For model cars and trains and the like diecast is fine, but for an item with as many movable parts as a Transformer, often with very little clearance room? Plastic all the way.

And it would make the figures cost more. Why would I want to pay more for worse quality?

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I want all my Dinobot figures hand-carved from real fossil dinosaur bones.

The use of die-cast would be a bad idea all-around. Casting metal is a longer and more costly process than mold-injecting pastic parts. Then the metal would need painting, which would later be prone to chipping off. Tolerances would be poor, joints would be loose. Metal isn't flexible like plastic. Plus not to mention the increased cost of transporting the figures because of the massively increased weight. There are probably safety considerations too.
    If you think figures are expensive now, the cost of having them made of metal would make your balls spin.

14. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Transformers, apart from the Titanium line (what gave it away?) have never really been made of diecast. The closest we got was that G1 toys here and there had diecast feet, chest sections, etc and most of them had variants with plastic parts. We really only need metal in the feet, to give better balance. Any other types of metal would be easily malleable and would get busted up pretty quickly. Plastic, though brittle with the (small) possibility of breaking, does not make toys top heavy and is a much cheaper option.

Plastic is made from oil. Oil comes from dinosaur fossils. Your plastic dinosaurs/dinobots are all made from real dinosaurs.

Agreed. And I will pay no less than retail prices for them. No stupid 10% price increases. I demand to pay the same price for the same amount of something or Transformers are RUINED FOREVER. :D 

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, people keep thinking die-cast is inherently superior but... it ain't.

I wound up re-buying a bunch of Binaltechs as Alternators because of the stupid metal.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You must be fucking insane, rubber tyres? DO you have any idea how much that would cost??!?!?!?

;) 

17. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    <---- Enters, takes a good look around and quietly leaves again...

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I like die cast and heft to my toys, don't get me wrong. I feel that predominantly Die Cast is not in fashion anymore because it is heavy and relatively expensive to ship. Then it is difficult to paint and use with the requirements of modern articulation.
    That said, I feel there is a place for it in balancing, or lowering the center of gravity of a toy. Look at G1 Jetfire, it has metal mostly in its legs to keep it from being top heavy. I'm always a fan of good materials sellection and design.
    Like all things, it needs to be used well.

19. AAarcher221

AAarcher221 NomDePlume: Jimmy Rustler

I know, right?

;) 

20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Hey guys whats...

Nope.