Should Zoids join the IDW verse?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking and what you think is one of the colonies had characters with alternative forms based on characters from Zoids?

2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    I like the idea. Could make a great crossover toy line and comic mini series like the G.I Joe ones or Avengers and DC crossovers etc.
    We had the Marvel and Star Wars crossover toys (which were mostly rubbish) but Zoids I think could have some really interesting designs as concept art and toys

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

At this point, you might as well include Starions. (I think that was the name)

Edit: Starriors.

4. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It strikes me that 'planet of animalistic, piloted robot lifeforms' really kinda clashes with things, what with beastformer discrimination being a fairly major theme, and the whole 'piloted' thing is kinda not fitting with most mechanical/organic relations in the galaxy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. batfan007

News Credits:

Transformers would use equipment to do things they could not do themselves, and even the G1 continuity had loads of other un-named planets full of all types of mechanical life.
    Seems like a great fit imo.
    A lot of TF fiction is based around Earth and Cybterton, but there's a whole galaxy out there filled with inhabited worlds, so Zoids makes sense to me.

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Still, I'm not sure how it'd *thematically* fit. They're on a single planet, do the TFs go there and make a permanent presence? Bring them out into the galaxy? And how is the 'use controlled robotic lifeforms to do what they want' fit in with the other stuff?

If they're just treated like animals/beasts of burden, I'm not sure what you'd do with them.

Earlier when the war is on, I could see both sides trying to press them into the war effort, but now? I think they'd rather leave them alone.

Zoids works pretty well on it's own planet, but bringing it into a wider universe seems hard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. batfan007

News Credits:
    Afaik just make it a comic book crossover over like Avengers, G.I.Joe JLA, just some fun action and designs, don't over think the plot or setting and a sweet toy in toy line.
    leave the fan fiction to those that want to write it. To me it's more visual appeal.

Come on big dino Zoids vs Trypticon! I want that shit.
    big action, big spectacle, cool toys.

8. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

GI Joe can fit in pretty well because interacting with Earth military is pretty normal for TFs. Superheroes, by extension, can as well- that or bump into them on dimensional travels, which both TFs and heroes are known to do.

Zoids? Zoids is on an alien planet without space travel. It seems to me like it'd be off on it's own without a lot to draw the Transformers there. It's not like the Cybertronian colonies, who they'd bring into space. It's not like Earth, already entangled. It'd just be there on it's own.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    If that gives me a Lio Convoy who turns into a Liger Zero I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. batfan007

News Credits:

What? Who broke their space ships?

11. batfan007

News Credits:
    Plus you get a tiny Microman size G.I. Joe as pilot.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    As a Headmater? :D 

13. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

As a toy collector, I like the idea of Zoids appearing in much the same way Gobots did in Transformers comics - homages and background appearances, but no roles in the plot. To me, the zoids would be similar to turbofoxes and all the many robotic creatures that have been referenced - non-transforming and non-sapient.
    I think any fans of the Zoids' animes would hate this. I am curious how Hasbro and TakaraTomy would feel - when Takara and Tomy were rivals, this could never actually happen, but since the two merged and Hasbro deals with both brands outside Japan it is possible, though unlikely.

14. batfan007

News Credits:
    no a pilot, have you watched Zoids?

[​IMG]

Or it could be one of those Mask guys, whatever works.
    I mean it's fiction, writers can make up whatever they like.
    I really liked the early seasons of the ZOIDS anime, good show, but the later seasons stripped out any story at all, changed the characters and it became like very other battle anime - pokemon, digimon, DBZ etc, just endless battles with no story or character development.

Kind of want to watch those early ones again now.

I'd love a comic series with ZOIDS vs Transformers, it would be cool to see some of those arrogant Transformers get their asses handed to them by little humanoids, without any silly deus ex machinina's like Spike single handedly taking down a Contstructicon (*cough bullshit *cough*)

Throw in some backstory thing where the ZOIDS have been upgraded to equal or greater strength metals etc, a little rust proofing why not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    No, I heard the first time of Zoids when I read up on Beast Wars the Gathering and Lio Convoy's body in that comic.

I suggested Headmaster, because I think it could work. You could have him sit in the cockpit like the original toy and have him a Headmaster, which I personally like very much. But probably chances for that are slim, now that Takara already made a Lio Convoy Headmaster from the Alpha Trion mold :( 

Aren't Zoids already a property by Hasbro/Takara? It would be like making a Nerf-Gun transform into Megatron. I thought it would be easier to get a toy of this...

16. algo448

algo448 Amateur Procrastinator

News Credits:
    Honestly Headmasters seem like the way to go, as they'd have an easier time fitting in a post-Titans Return world, and it could even address beastformer discrimination and the like.

Following the usual canon would be problematic, as in the Battle Story Zoids are little but mass produced machines, and with the anime treating them as sentient, Transformers would probably see their relatiosnhip with their pilots as something close to slavery.

Zoids is Takara Tomy yeah, but the brand has been doing little recently, most of the product comes from Kotobukiya these days.

17. batfan007

News Credits:

They did those Marvel and Star Wars Transformers, toy x-over line could happen, but probably not unless there a a new zoids show, a popular comic or some other way to raise the awareness of the brand. I like Zoids, but they are not well known compared to other mega-brands etc.

18. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

They have spaceships to break?

In the two series I know- Chaotic Century and New Century- they're on Planet Zi. They have some satellites, but, well, they're on planet Zi, not interstellar.

I mean, I guess their origin is stranded colonies... but obviously they can't be earth-colonists in IDW, and the Zi countries can't really fly around.