Should we boycott Alt Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Eamonn Prime, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    As others have mentioned, it's a nice departure from the "typical" Convoy/Prime toy we've gotten throughout the years.

2. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Boycot a toy that is head and sholders above most of the Beast Machines line, no I don't think so. What is the big deal anyway, why do people hate this toy so much.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You mean there will finally be some variation in your collection?

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am planning on getting the alt Black Convoy (my bro's getting Prime) so I doubt I'll skip it even if I don't like the name or head that's attached to it. And if we want more alts in the future now that binaltech is dead the we'll have to support the figure even more.

5. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh HELL no! :p  :D 

J/K

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless you keep your TFs in their boxes ( :stick:  ) what difference does it make what they're named? I'm looking forward to renaming him Ginrai upon his arrival.

Having the name 'Optimus Prime' on a Transformer is going to make that product SELL. I just can't understand why we in the fandom (the people who should, more than anyone else, want to see the perpetual success of this franchise) can't get behind - or at least tolerate - decisions that will help sell more Transformers.

I wonder if Japanese fans did something similar during Masterforce... somehow I doubt it.
    "OMGWTFBBQ he lookz just like Convoy but his name is Ginrai...Takara=teh suck=hates teh fanz!!11!"

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    What, you mean that when Hasbro and Tomy-Takara design and engineer these things, they aren't taking their work seriously?

What the hell kind of mickey mouse operation are they running over there? I'm surprised they're both even still in business after all these decades what with such half-assed and laughable work ethos!!

Oh wait.

By not taking their work seriously and giving proper attention to the characters, you mean that Hasbro and Tomy-Takara aren't making Alternators how you want them to be made.

Gotcha.

Welcome to the boards, btw.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Boycott Alt prime? What the hell for?

Rather than boycotting innovative new designs like Prime, perhaps your anger at not getting what exactly you want (yeah. About that. Try living in the sodding UK, and see how it feels to REALLY not get what you want. Like ANYTHING at a decent price) might be better directed boycotting lazyass, crappy repaints that have cluttered up recent TF lines. And while you're at it, howsabout you try submitting some designs for Alts yourself? I'd LOVE to see you come up with something better.
    Go on. I dare you.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

Sounds like the "let's not buy gas for an entire day America and show those oil moguls that they are not in charge" email I have received a few times. Although his intentions are good, a boycott will never work. Too many people are going to buy Prime for whatever reason they have.
    Although I agree with most that I am disappointed with the ultimate turnout of this figure (should have been ironhide), I will still buy it if I can scrape up a spare $20. Simply because I am in love with the Binaltech/Alternator line. I just wish I could get a Binaltech version of it. Oh well.

10. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Beacuse Takara don't have a version to boycott.

All this stress over a toy does seem a little far fetched when viewed in light of other things but this is a toy board so the discussion seems valid to me.

Personally, I probably won't buy it as I don't like it as a toy. I don't like the asthetics, I'm not keen on pick up trucks and the transformation while different isn't impressive enough to make up for these failings in my eyes.

I might buy a black verison if it was handled well but I'm far more likley to just save now and splash my cash on Mirage and Rumble later on in the year.

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    *joins the masses* A boycott of Alt Prime ... hell no. Im glad Has/Tak has finally come up with an Alt truck design to go with there jeep design.

Does anyone not see the immense humor in Takara wanting the Ram to be Optimus Prime/Convoy and then deciding to not sell it (assuming that BT Convoy is really truly dead)?

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Wow... boycott? Why? Seriously hasn't the "hatred" for Alt. Prime gotten a little out of hand people? If you don't like it don't buy it. Simple. Don't suggest to the rest of us that we shouldn't buy something that we all might enjoy. Thank you.

Also, what's this nonesense about Hasbro/Takara-Tomy not taking Alternators/Binaltech seriously? Have you bothered to read any information on the line? These guys put their hearts and souls into making us a wonderful line full of homages and innovative ideas. Sure, some of them might not be the best and others (Ricochet and Rollbar) are obviously just there to fill the line or make a few easy dollars, but I refuse to boycott a toy just because it's not the way someone really wants. If it's not to your specifications... JUST DONT BUY IT! I had no idea that Hasbro was holding guns to our head at any point.

13. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    I'm extremely weak and will buy anything Prime , regardless of quality.

14. Saneman

Saneman The Grand Lunatic

I've have loved Black Convoy, nd it is unlikely that I will buy OP-Alt, because of the fact that I don't like how toy looks.

Even so, I think bycotting itself is a at best a dubious idea.

15. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Bwahahaha most popular boycott idea EVER!

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I'm planning on buying several :)  I have a Hearse model anxiously awaiting its retrofitting into Alternator DIRGE :D  Just had to wait for a beefy enough mold to use :) 

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have to echo the "Name it what you will" sentiment plus the more for me. About 60/40 mixture...

18. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

I'll say it again, what I find funny is that most transfans whine and complain about getting nothing but cars, and when we finally get something different, something that was out of left field, they throw up their hands in disgust and make 20,000 posts about it on their favorite message board and act like it's ruining their lives.

Seriously, if you find an Alt. Prime and you hate it, you can send it right over to me, because he's got shelf space waiting at my place.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I seem to recall some talk of boycotting Decepticharge before that figure was released because of the name. Then, when Decepticharge was released, some of the same people in the 'this figure sucks, let's boycott it' crowd were complaining that they couldn't find one. I can see the exact same thing happening with Alt Prime; should be keeping a list of names...

And I honestly can't understand how people get so hyper about what a figure is named. Don't like that Alternator being called Optimus Prime? Well, HasTak aren't sending someone over to your house with a gun to make sure that you call the toy that for the rest of your life. Call it Ginrai, Convoy, Super Sexy Scarlet Speedster or whatever the hell you want. I get people complaining about problems with colour scheme or mold defects, but all this consternation because a marketing department gave the toy the 'wrong' name/character is baffling.

20. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I dont want it boycotted. I actually like the damn toy.