Should Transformers return to Marvel ?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by sevenlima, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

2 years passed between the last G1 figures and the G2 comeback. Distribution for those final G1 figs was poor, too. I don't recall seeing the Action Masters at retailers like Target - I only stumbled across them at drugstores and a clearance chain that was later renamed Big Lots.
    Or if you're talking about Transformers' place in the public awareness, the dry spell lasted even longer. Beast Wars was initially shown via syndication. In my area, it was only shown at 6AM. With the Fox Kids! reruns and distribution of Beast Machines, there was wider exposure, growing a bit, perhaps, when Robots In Disguise came out and non-futuristic, non-Cybertronic vehicle modes homaging G1 were available in big retailers again. But Transformers didn't blow up again till the 20th Anniversary of the brand, with a return to comics for nostalgic adults and Armada airing on Cartoon Network with a tidal wave of licensed merchandise. THAT is when I started seeing the car decals, the shirts, etc. After another 4 or 5 years came the first movie and the start of our modern era of fandom.
    tl;dr You're mis-remembering the good old days.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature gottagofast

G1 continued in Europe.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I do not remember any period in time between season 4 and the beginning of Beast Wars, that Transformers didn't continue to air on some station, either in regular reruns or in that weird G2 framing sequence rerun series.

And I saw Autobot stickers on cars daily on the drive to work while Beast Wars was airing, years before Armada.

4. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am not, you're forgetting G1.5, which bridged the gap between G1 and Beast Wars.
    And what I said still rings true, Transformers never went away. TMNT hit that moment where the comics died, the TV shows died, the movies died and the toys died.
    MLP went away for almost two decades and only really came bavk due to the public focus on the brownies.
    TF might have been dwindled a while and taken a while to get big again, but it still kept going on without a break. That's the point I made and it still rings true. You might not like it, and it's not really saying that TF id the best, but it's a fact.

5. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

G1.5? I HAD forgotten that G1 continued in Europe beyond the American end of the line. I did not discover that till I joined the fan community in the Beast Era.

Let me qualify my statement, then; I know I can only speak to how things occurred in my area and in my perception - there was a hard die off. We couldn't find Transformers figures, the show was off the air, and even the comics grew difficult to find.
    As for not liking that Transfomers ran continuously, that's not the case. I hated the periods when the franchise seemed to disappear! But perhaps I had particularly bad luck in my area.

6. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not being around a while in your particular area doesn't equal it being dead.
    TFs have become super hard to find in the area of Germany where I live since Beast Wars, but TF is still alive and well. Energon's toy line basically didn't exist here, Classics lines only show up for the first two waves, but my area isn't representative of the rest of Germany or the world.
    And even during the 1.5 years that there were no new TF toys in the US, the comics continued to be sold up until they were rebranded as G2. Japan still had toys and cartoons.
    And when the TFs became less popular and left the mainstream, they were still there. Unlike TMNT, who show up, become the biggest thing around, then completely disappear for years, not just from the mainstream but in General. And we seem to be in the beginning of the new TMNT exodus, the last movie tanked (not failed to make the profit they hoped it would, but list them money), and it's already been confirmed to not get a sequel. On top of that it got a staged release, instead of coming out roughly the same time like every other big movie. It's also telling that all the collectibles currently coming out are based on nostalgia from the franchise's hayday, instead of the current children's cartoon or movies.
    And to get back to the area thing, Beast Machines and RID all showed exclusively on Fox Kids over here, a cable channel you only got in the most expensive package, yet the toys sold.
    MLP isn't even an almost mainstream thing here, it's obscure, and most know it as that thing from the news a few years back about creepy men loving a show for little girls. So if we use direct area as absolute proof, MLP isn't even a thing, because I can find TF toys and people who know what it's about, while MLP is just "oh yeah, creepy guys from the news".

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Marvel is such a pile of crap at this point that I have no hope for improvement if they did get it back.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

TFs under Marvel would not change a lot since all the things people find annoying in the IDW run are pretty much IDW trying to mimic the Big Two. In the best case scenario you'd get an occasional crossover with other Marvel books, in the worst case one Transformers would end dragged into even more "epic" events. Which would, as TFs don't mesh with the superhero genre very well, very likely end in something truly cringeworthy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And Canada.

10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    And Japan.

11. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Give it to Marvel if IDW doesn't do a reboot. I don't need Transformers alongside GI Joe, MASK, or ROM.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I might be wrong here - but I'm pretty sure the crossover/events between properties was on Hasbro's say so, especially since they themselves are working on unified cinematic universe for the movies (which really is a very very very difficult thing to do considering the different properties they want unified) and the comic events only started after the initiative was made for their properties for the movies. Any work done by the writers they hired in the comics can be adapted for use in their media products - so making comics is really just a cheap way of testing how things would work.

13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

According to IDW this was idea coming from their writers, not Hasbro. So, nope. Things mandated by Hasbro were toy promotions like Combiner Wars.

Also, the Big Two companies are explicitly known for making big events and crossovers out of pretty much everything they own. Even more than IDW.

This somewhat naive wishful thinking that TF books made under Marvel these days would somehow end being produced in the same way as classic G1 comics is quite detached from how a modern comic book market looks. Marvel isn't the same company they used to be, to begin with.

And it's mostly modern Marvel where IDW started to look for inspirations, it seems.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd like it to stay in IDW. It may not be perfect, but they've been devoted to it.

On a unrelated note, I'm very curious with how Conan the Barbarian will be treated under Marvel as it currently is now that they got that license back.

15. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What if IDW make somekind of shared universe with MArvel ?

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    That would be really complicated in reality - it's really a huge What If.

17. sevenlima

Ebay:
    You mean in the comics, right ?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. sevenlima

Ebay:
    That's a shame that Gi joe and Transformers doesn't have a good relation with superheroes like Marvel.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes to return to Marvel.

Transformers should be in its own continuity. If it was in the same universe as superheroes, it would make no sense if heroes didn't constantly show up trying to stop the Decepticons or interfere with the Autobots.

20. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

Hell the fuck no! It's bad enough IDW went downhill when Revolution happened, I don't want Transformers comics tarnished further by SJW Marvel. If anything, Transformers should go to the likes of Boom or Udon. Hell, I rather have Dreamwave come back from the dead.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018