Should the 80s cartoon be remastered with cgi animation?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, May 6, 2019.

1. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

i cannot imagine the 80s show in CGI.

That's just wrong

• Like Like x 2
  2. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

That I can get behind. That's the problem with CGI. No matter how good it is, in a few years it will be outdated and crappy. BW needs a redo - and it'll need another one 20 years from now.

At least with cell-drawn animation, if you make it beautiful, it will always be beautiful. (G1 certainly wasn't, but it has it's charm), so if anything, I'd be more into G1 being re-done as 'proper' cell-drawn animation. Not all of it - I still think the fire and explosions they made are beautiful. Nice backgrounds too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    I disagree. Sure, Beast Wars has ancient CGI (it litterally was the dawn of the medium in use for cartoons), but it has a unique style as a result that I feel is often underappreciated just because it isn't as fancy as new tech.

But then you get shit like Prime which despite being twenty years later with a custom CGI engine developed exclusively for it, wasn't really much of an improvement despite the astronomical animation costs. The environments were still as bare-bones as necessary at all times, the facial expressions on characters were not that impressive, and Decepticons were more or less hi-and-die wastes of CGI model development.

Compare that to Beast Wars, which does a hell of a lot more for a show with a hell of a lot less resources and has aged a hell of a lot better than Energon or Cybertron.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    That'd be a waste, It'd be much more viable to make something from the ground up, then again I feel the same way about the ones asking for a Beast Wars with updated / better animation. If some dedicated fans wanted to do something like that I wouldn't' be against it, but officially I'd rather they just made something new.

Using the the Sunbow cartoon as a basis and inspiration? Sure, but not just taking the audio tracks from it and giving it better animation.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

No... they already did that and it was awful.

If you're talking all new animation rather than just adding CGI to the original cartoon... maybe... But that would be really expensive and probably would never happen.

6. Kazimir

Kazimir Well-Known Member

No. But I would love a brand new cartoon that retells critical parts of the G1 story while building upon it with all new adventures and characters.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Starscreeeam

Starscreeeam Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this. Here's why:

I recently bought a 4k TV. My first. Watching ANYTHING released on this, produced prior to 4k TV looks drastically different than standard HD. As in it looks like Live Acton theater. I turn off the enhanced graphics to watch any movie not originally produced for 4k viewing, if I had seen it prior to my 4k TV.

BUT, I realize if I have no preconceived notion of how "something SHOULD look" from recollection of images in my head of non-4k prior viewing, I do not compare the past with the present.

So for those of us that recall the way things used to look, myself included, we might not accept a remastered version of a cartoon. But, there are many of us from the past, and new viewers in the present and into the future that will welcome a change, or might not have any prior experience thereof to draw from. For these people, I say remaster the cartoons. Besides, past films/movies etc. that have been remastered, are constantly attracting viewership. Us naysayers will still have the old stuff to cling to.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Yea, I'll watch Beast Wars over Prime any day.

"Better" animation doesn't mean better story. And, let's face it, Beast Wars has the best story telling of all of Transformers. (On the west side at least. Edit: And of TV/Movies only. Not talking about comics.)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind an updated, reimagined "movie" of the More than Meets the Eye 3-parter at the beginning of the series. Updated visuals, improved battle sequences, extended scenes maybe, I think it'd be fun to check out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Saberblade

Saberblade Seek and Destroy

Ebay:
    Why should they remaster G1 into CGI? I would prefer if they make a 30 minute cartoon series instead, which focuses more on Cybertron and not on Earth. It should be something new and fresh without having typical Optimus and Megatron as leaders, let the characters develop, by mid-season we will see who's leadership material for both factions

• Like Like x 1
  12. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Any time someone suggests they should remake G1 but keep something from the original show, an animation student dies because of the gross misunderstanding of how animation works.

13. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    It will be a will be a trainwreck and panned by everyone. I rather they put out new content, but sure why not. Sounds like a waste of time and money, but I'm not paying for it. While they are at it they should go full on apeshit CGI Star Wars ANH, stylized for 2019, and redo all the bay movies with G1 robot renders. :p 

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That was literally what I said in my opening post. I never said they should do the entire run.

15. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No

16. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Would be cool, but do we really need it? I would prefer a beast wars remaster because a solid story like that should not be buried in poorly aged CG.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Hell no. I'm tired of cgi. It looks fine just as it is. We don't need to turn the original toon into some ugly, deformed cgi shit, a'la pj maxx.

Besides, the original cartoon looks great. It has detail and talent put into it. It looks better then 95% of the cartoons today.

Go Watch Beast Wars or Prime if ya want cgi.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely not. Frankly, the G1 cartoon is dated. I love it, but it's dated. If they're going to update it, they need to update everything, not just replace the 2D animation with CGI. Honestly, the colorful retro animation is probably at least 50% of the reason I enjoy it. Remove that, and it would be about as memorable as Combiner Wars.

I wouldn't mind if they took the basic story beats of G1, and created a modern show with 3D animation. But it still needs to be new. Straight up replacing the animation would be pointless. Would 3D animation really improve an episode like Sea Change?

19. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

No. There, sorted.

Remastering is one thing, but remaking is another entirely. It's no different to crow-barring shit into the original Start Wars films. Just let it be.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    And I agree that it could be good. Idk if you've seen Pokémon I Choose You, but it literally is the first episode of Pokémon that has been expanded upon into a movie with new voice work and more modern animation that is just gorgeous to look at. That's what I would like to see for Transformers some day; a More than Meets the Eye animated movie. I would actually prefer 2D animation because when done right, it looks so much better than CG 3D models.