Should TF3 be rated PG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there!

So, with all the backlash about the language and humor of ROTF, especially in the parenting world, there could be a huge negative effect on TF3, as in parents "not making the same mistake twice". Yes, ROTF was rated PG-13, but let's face it, they really pushed it and could have ended up with much more positive word of mouth had most of it been left out.

So, going into TF3, it's already obvious they have a bit of an apologetic attitude, but they really need to get that message across, especially to those with the kids that wanted to see it, but too young for the potty mouth etc.

The obvious answer to get the message across to parents is this: make it PG. Oh...what's that you say? The average person will dismiss it if it's PG? It won't seem as "cool"? Ticket sales will suffer because of a more kiddy image due to the PG rating?

I have one thing to say to you: Pixar.

You can have a little class, make it PG, and it can still be an awesome adventure that we can ALL enjoy. Just think of what Pixar can do with a little taste. I'm not saying make it childish, but I think a step back would be nice for the kids that want to love a TF movie.

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

As if Bay is out to please soccer moms.

Pixar? Different demographic than Transformers movies are aimed at. General audience meaning it isn't aimed at children.

Heck they had Sam's Happy Time in the first movie I don't see Bay apologetic about that.

Also note TF movies are rated PG-13 so what is the point?

3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I brought up this point once before: there probably will be a negative effect with parents bringing kids to see this film.

The 2007 film never had any explicit and innapropriate scenes besides the masturbation comment, and I think if Bay could tone down the crude humor to TF1's level, it could work.

But it's an uphill battle. Parents already think that since Bay pulled that shit with ROTF, he's gonna do the same thing with TF3.

A PG film could work. For TF1, if you took away masturbation, the drug mentions, and a little language, it would be PG.

If parents hear the commercials, "Rated PG" they'd probably bring their kids to see it again.

A PG film could very well save our asses here. If Bay goes PG-13 again, and he probably will, then we loose at least $100 million from the kids being taken by parents.

But I just know Bay will have it PG-13. Otherwise it's not AWESOME.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the films are just too violent to get away with a PG rating. Would they have had to lose the bit where the Doctor probes Sam? Would the forest battle have suffered? What about the infamous "Give me your face!"?

I agree that the movies don't need as much potty humor as they've been getting, but the violence may mandate a PG-13 anyway.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

No, seeing that this is Michael Bay we're talking about here, his movies -- as far as I know -- have never catered to audiences below the age of 13; in other words, his movies are rated PG-13 to R.

Since the first two films have been PG-13, it would seem rather pointless if the third movie is rated PG... especially since there's supposedly a more darker tone in TF3.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given the things that could have been cut from Revenge of the Fallen to make it a better movie I don't think PG would totally out of the question. We didn't need humping, robot balls, sports underwear, reefer madness mom, or ripping Ravage in half for no good reason.

Revenge of the Fallen didn't even make the nomination for the MTV movie awards so it's looking like they have pretty much lost that demographic so perhaps it's better to go after the younger set since they are less likely to drop Transformers for sparkly vampires.

Then again Cars 2 comes out June 24 2011 so the kids market might be tougher this third go round. Given the Pixar track record it will be tough for anything to take on Pixar since they keep giving both kids and adults all they could want in a film.

Then July 15 2011 Transformers 3 has to avoid being drown out in all the buzz around the last Harry Potter film. Given that so much of the target demography grew up watching the Potter films it could be where all the buzz is at in the summer of 2011. That could be a huge number of your teens and twenties running off for one last trip to Hogwarts.

Honestly I'm not sure what demographic would be the best one to shoot for right now. All I can guess is that they will not be shooting for the Decepticon demographic since they haven't been nice to us in two films so why start now.

7. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Have you seen the behavior of kids these days? They'll be fine with TF 3. Besides, the internet and other types of crude humor will claim them anyway.

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Yeah. I mean, I heard a five-year-old white kid drop the N-word yesterday when I was getting my photo ID.

9. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    live action TF movies cannot work as a PG...

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

:lol 

Exactly!

11. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

The awesome action sequences are pretty much the only reason I watch the movies. If they made this PG than the action sequences will be too dumbed-down to be awesome! These movies aren't targeted towards kids anyway.

12. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    Ooohh! I know the correct rating: R

13. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    I don't know I saw a lot of moms bringing their four and five year olds to see Eclipse when I went and the kids knew the characters names too. It was actually amusing to listen to the conversations of the kids in front of me. I was a little surprised they knew so much about the story line, but maybe their mom talked about it a lot. LOL

Honestly I don't think the Transformers movies would work as PG movies. They would have to tone down the action sequences, and who really wants that? I don't think Bay can do toned down movies anyway.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm not sure if the action would be toned down much at all by going to PG.

The people who do the ratings for films are a pretty clueless unimaginative group. Yea we see the robots as living creatures, but if it's not organic or it's not close enough to being like Earth creatures then it doesn't count with the ratings people.

Just imagine for a moment that the robots in Revenge of the Fallen had been human or a real panther. The film would have been rated R with no problem given the stuff the robotic cast was doing to each other. But since they were robots and the rating people don't care about robots Micheal Bay and ILM could go crazy and over the top with the action as long as it was just robots.

Sure you might have to tone down what happens to the humans, but who cares about the humans we came to see robots fight it out in a way that would make even the Hong Kong action masters proud and shows off what Bay is best at.

15. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

Who cares.

16. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't see a reason to bring it down to PG, since PG-13 has worked for the past two movies.

17. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    /Thread

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^
    EXACTLY! Why do you think most action movies like Die Hard and Terminator are rated R or are PG-13/14A.

But for Transformers. It's going to be like that with all the dirty crude humour and not the gory violent action. :mad 

19. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

I just can't picture a PG movie showing Grindor's fate.

20. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    This.