Should Takara Release One MP per Month?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by botfan, Nov 12, 2013.

?

How often should MP figures be released?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2013.
  1. New mold figure monthly (with repaints/re-issues whenever)

8.6%
  2. New figure monthly (including repaints/re-issues)

17.9%
  3. New mold figure every two months (with repaints/re-issues whenever)

23.5%
  4. Keep it as is. Randomness adds spice to life!

53.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Extensive rework of MP11 then?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

1 month i really believe the quality would suffer and suffer hard. Personally the 1 a year did not bother me at all but considering how long to complete the cast its not ideal. I think quarterly would be the perfect schedule.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yes it would, sir. Hence the word "remold." But we're just talking about a modified head design and wings. I think even an intern could handle that. If Igear could, amirite.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one a month is do-able

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Things are steady, yet not really specific. That's fine with me.

Once a month? Really? :lol 

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    New mold every other month, repaint/remold every other month. TT's got some catching up to do.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both of the above posts for the win!

QC wise, I don't think TT is 'there' yet. Just when I thought they have improved their QC with Soundwave, Sideswipe and Prowl, both Streaks have paint marks on their shoulders.

Of course, that's just my collection and others have various QC issues with their Sounwaves, Prowls, Sideswipe etc.

IMO they should be released every quarter - to make them more 'special' or 'unique'. If they are released on a monthly basis, they would lose their novelty.

It would also allow other collectors to budget their purchases better.

8. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Yes, yes, yes!!! We are all in our late 30's. We haven't got much time left on this planet. Give it to us now so we can enjoy while we're still young.

9. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

lol, I actually fall in the category. Please, let me re-live my childhood while I'm still "young" enough to :) .

Seriously though, I'm still baffled by all the people turned off by the once a month idea. I think the idea of the masterpiece figures being some rare and unique thing is a little odd to me. I know the price should make me feel that way, but I'm more engrossed in the idea of collecting all my favorite characters and displaying them together, rather than displaying just a few at a time and having them stand out.

10. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    It's really not that hard of a reaction to foresee. From a collectors stand point on the one hand it's fantastic since you finish the collection faster, yet on the other your bank account takes a massive hit. Let's say you snag import pre-orders for each that's about $45-60 depending on whether it's a straight repaint or heavier retool like MP Bluestreak vs MP Smokescreen. If your not lucky you end up having to go the domestic route that's $80 or so a release. Once a month your talking about $960 without shipping costs. That's quite the sum for some people to drop especially if they collect other lines.

Alternators and Encore they had there issues. Alternators didn't exactly have a wide variety of cars to choose from. It was just straight repaints or repaints with new heads. Distribution and lack of variety pretty much killed it. Binaltech continued in Japan, but by that time the molds were starting to suffer a little. Encore, price and current lines I would say contributed to it's decline. A lot of the releases had already been done previously with TT's bookstyle reissues. Hasbro at the time was also releasing their reissues albeit at a rather high price. Only so many times a person is going to buy the same mold. It's not that easy just to say these lines died purely from lack of interest. There's a lot more to consider.

You also have to think about the design team. From sketching to actually creating a model for one figure takes time. Don't forget the time it takes to hammer out any flaws that may arise. I rather they take their time and do things right. No reason to stress them out just so we get more figures per year. They're doing a fantastic job with this revamped MP line.

Things are fine the way they are for me. I'd rather have say 3-4 new molds and a repaint intermixed. Gives the wallet a break while still having a descent amount of releases. It's certainly better than pre MP-08 days where it was seeker and Prime repaints.

11. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Speeding up production only increases the risk of QC issues and there's already more than enough whining about those when they occur.

I'd keep things as they are.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    As a big fan of the line i'd love it if they did, but my wallet just wouldnt allow me to keep up. I'd be even more behind than I am now [coupled with the ridiculous aftermarket prices these things go far, itd be a nightmare!]

I think the rate they're going at now seems to be alright. I cant help but wish releases were a little quicker but the time is nice enough for my wallet to catch a breather

13. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

I seriously hope there's a larger market that takara caters to other than the hardcore collector. Maybe they have a little more space in their wallets and their shelves?

I don't really agree with the argument that lines only die when they quality goes down. Everything has its peak and slowly declines over time, even if the line is still interesting. Encore could have stayed popular with the later releases, but people were just tired of it already. They got their favorite figures and the series dragged on long enough, so people just moved on. The same will happen with MP, especially if Shogo leaves. He is that line right now and without him it would be back to oversized megs and blocky optimus. Good luck seeing your favorite figures get made then.

14. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hell no, man.
    Besides the possibility of lack of quality control, my wallet will be beat.

Besides, I want all my MPs to be as flawless as possible like my MP Prowl :D 

15. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get the "I couldn't keep up with a faster rate".

If we get a faster rate, some won't be able to buy all the figures, OK, but if we don't get a faster rate, a good quantity of characters will never get made and nobody will be able to buy them anyway.

I'd say it's better for "everything" to get released then having to deal with the after market for some rather than seeing half the cast never getting a figure. Also I think that a lot of people don't take into account that a faster rate would implies that the interest into a lot of other products would go down for a lot of us like the 3rd party products that try to fill void that won't stay void for long if we start getting so many MPs (would you still be wanting Intimidator, Feral Rex, WB-01, the FP Headmasters, Titan/Kronos, Cubex/Transbots Minibots and such if you knew MP versions would happen pretty soon? While I'm sure some would, I'm even surer (is that a word?) that most wouldn't).

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say no, the pattern and current release schedule is just enough to save enough up to buy, any closer together and I'd need a lottery win to buy them all.

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I'd rather Takara take their time perfecting their products, not rush designs out. There are enough people crying about QC already; that stepped up by 4 or 5 times would make me ragequit collecting.

18. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Hell no. My wife would divorce me. I'm already stressed about how I'm going to justify BB, Wheeljack, Ultra Magnus, Soundblaster, and (hopefully) Star Sabre next year. Depending on size, about one a quarter is reasonable.

Just as important, I want Shogo Hasui to be as involved as possible in the design of each MP. Ramping up production like that would mean other less capable, less passionate designers would have to start carrying more of the workload. I don't think any of us here would like the results. At all.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    every 2 months or just kept as is. voted 2 months just so it would be on some kind of schedule, but I'd just as well prefer them to just keep taking their time and releasing when ready. no need to meet a regular quota for fan demand. that is how things like madden happen.

You are making a lot of assumptions here. Maybe some just prefer the pacing right now, but would still buy if they shifted to a faster rate. And the current pacing doesn't mean everything won't get done. We've gone through MP10-MP18 in a very short time since the reboot. How long did it take for them to even get to MP-10? An 8 year gap?

Current pacing is just fine, and if you've been with the line since the beginning, it's an incredible pace.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  20. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    If they made more releases, that would mean less people buying the same mold / paint scheme, and stock not getting sold out as much as now. As is, people are buying almost all the stock, if not more, forcing more runs. More runs of the same Mold = less cost than new mold or different color. With more runs and repaints, Takara can recover the costs, especially when they sell well everytime.

At the same time, less releases allows many to get every releases by Takara.

This would more benefit those that have no budget limit, in which case they might buy 2 - 3 of the same mold (max), which they would be buying anyways even with more releases. In the end, I am not sure Takara would gain so much, if at all, as less people are buying their products.

Also, quality may suffer.