Should retailers be obligated to reimburse international shipping?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jiv3000, Jan 8, 2016.

1. jiv3000

jiv3000 Active Member

Should Transformers retailers be obligated to reimburse return item's international shipping? Generally speaking for defective items.

If the buyer is within North and South America, should they reimburse the return shipping? If yes, what about shipping for other countries?

I want to get everyone's thought on this controversial topic.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, here's a topic that actually deserves to be moved to the toy section.

But the answer is no, of course they should not reimburse international shipping. Why should they? Because you don't want to pay it? That makes no sense. If you are ordering internationally, someone needs to pay international shipping. That someone is you.

3. jiv3000

jiv3000 Active Member

Sorry dude, I mean return item's shipping. Especially for manufacturing defect items.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ah. Yeah, that would be nice, but I don't know that they're obligated, unless you want them opening every box and inspecting every figure before it goes out, and there are many TF fans who would object to getting unsealed/re-taped product. If a retailer is big enough to absorb the return shipping costs, I think they usually do. Otherwise, I think you should count yourself lucky they're willing to eat the price of the replacement figure, and consider the cost of return shipping a necessary evil.

5. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

They could always offer to go half with you or give you some store credit. But to fully reimburse you? No. YOU made the choice to go with that company to get your item. There are usually other ways to get an item like a regional online store in your own country. Which might cost more but helps for situations like this.

This is why sometimes it is better to go with stores in your area. For issues like this in the cases they come up.

You as the buyer should always know what you are going into when you decide on what store to shop at.

6. jiv3000

jiv3000 Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, happy to know how supportive you are Mewtwo. But sometimes your local retailers won't have the average collectors coin or special edition you want. Then what do you do? Do you ignore your desired figure?

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Not just reimburse shipping, but allow a return for a full refund. I hate ordering something from Japan only to get it and it is defective, but the retailer then just says, "Oh, that sucks. Better luck next time." It should be 30 days to return the item just like every physical store.

8. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the item is defective, of course they do but they shouldn't eat up the cost.

The retailer should be able to get the return cost from the wholesaler.
    The wholesaler should be able to get the return cost from the maker.
    The maker should be able to get the return cost from the factory... or eat up the cost depending who's at fault.

9. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Even in this situation, doesn't the retailer just eat the shipping cost (from the consumer back to the store) in a sign of good will?

I'm sure it's all spelled out in the terms and services that none of us bother to read. And I think the majority of imported products aren't supposed to be sold abroad anyway (see: revell and the bandai star wars kits).

10. Digi

Digi Well-Known Member

I don't think retailers should have to act on a manufacturer defect, no. Its the manufacturer's quality control that sucks, not the retailer's.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loaded question. With a lot of ripples.

If retailers were required to provide refunds on the shipping then there would be a mix of prices rising across the board to cover the cost and/or retailers not even bothering to sell internationally. This will affect supply and demand in many unpredictable places. There would also have to be some consistent agreement on what is considered a valid problem to accept returns and whether responsibility for it lies on the retailer or manufacturer. This would/could also have retailers and/or manufactuers reducing their offerings. One could also argue that instead of being on the manufacturers or retailers, the onus should be on the consumer to read reviews and think more throughly before making international purchases. This will also affect demand and ultimately supply.

This discussion could go around in circles forever. . .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I wish. The problem with being a small retailer is that you get the runaround if there's a problem. Distributor tells you to contact the manufacturer, manufacturer tells you to contact the distributor. Venue sides with the buyer even if you have a signed confesion and hi-res video of them intentionally breaking a product that "arrived broken" so you're stuck. Then you go international and the tiny bit of accountability you had left goes out the window because USPS washes their hands once the package crosses a border. Between that and the "ZOMG it costs MONEYS to ship overseas?!" remarks that it attracts, there's zero upside to selling internationally. If I wasn't liable to be left holding the bag every single time, I'd have a very differnent opinion on the subject of returns, international or otherwise.

13. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Speaking solely about the retailer to customer relationship and leaving out manufacturer and distributor, all of the risk should be absorbed by the retailer. It's the nature of the business they chose to enter. If I purchase something from a retailer part of that purchase is a guarantee that it will arrive as described. If the retailer can't deliver upon that guarantee, even for reasons out of their hand, they are the ones who should eat the loss and pay for return shipping and reimburse 100% of original purchase plus original shipping.

If the item is just sub par and not as the manufacturer advertised it, it's still the responsibility of the retailer to reimburse all of the associated cost. The retailer bought the item and the responsibility that comes with selling it.

If it's solely a case where the customer no longer desires said item, paying for original and return shipping then becomes the customer's responsibility.

14. jiv3000

jiv3000 Active Member

Takara Tommy... I don't trust their QC anymore! Ever since I had Devastator! But still, the retailer is responsible, they sold you the poor QC product, and should pay full or half of the return shipping.

15. jiv3000

jiv3000 Active Member

My fellow senior member, the retailers have insurance with the shipping companies and the distributor or the manufacturer. They can cover their cost. But to be more lenient to the retailers, they should only reimburse international shipping if it's a defective item, not straight returns and exchanges. Even with straight returns and exchanges, they should pay at least half.

16. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i disagree. how often does someone really need to go through this process? generally stores overseas offer MUCH better deals than domestic e-tailers. in the long run, i still think you'd come out ahead, even if you had to cover the cost here and there to ship something back. the savings are generally high enough to exclusively deal overseas.

in a perfect world, domestic e-tailers would be able to offer better pricing, but they don't.

also, for me personally, i rarely order large items from overseas, so, EMS shipping for something like a masterpiece car, or a mafex/figuarts/revoltech figure isn't very high.

in all my years of collecting, i've only ever returned two items that i bought from the internet. so, for me, returning something is so rare that i don't really take it into consideration when ordering something.

17. Mewtwo

Why should I be supportive when it's not how I feel? I'm not going to lie to you about it just to make you feel better?

If my local retailers don't have something that I want then I'd purchase where I could right? I'm not saying don't purchase from overseas. I'm saying be damn well aware of what you are doing. Realise that if YOU want it and the only place you can get it is some retailer overseas realise it's going to cost you more if there are issues. Simple. It's common sense. People shouldn't feel entitled to be able to get everything cheaper and at no cost or risk to them if they decide to go that route and then there are issues. When I buy something from an overseas retailer I am damn well aware that if something goes wrong it could end up being a longer process and a bigger hassles and COULD end up costing me more. I fully go into it knowing that. And so should everyone else.

Like all the people who say getting TF's from overseas is cheaper then places like BBTS. Sure it's cheaper, but IF something goes wrong it might end up more costly in the long run. Or take more time to get it resolved. Or involve more shipping or longer communications. It's expected. Or should be.

18. Mewtwo

What are you disagreeing with exactly? I never said not to import. I have imported myself. I have shopped with overseas retailers. I'm not advocating not to. I am not saying do that and you are going to get screwed over cause of having messed up issues with a figure or something. All I'm saying is that when you DO shop with these places be well aware that IF something happens then it could be more of a hassle. It could be more expensive. It could be longer wait times. There is always all of these factors to consider. And people should know that going in.

You could have 100 flawless transactions and you could have 1 fuck up. But realise that with that fuck up it could be a bit more hassle in getting it dealt with. It doesn't mean that will be the case. But it could.

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

1) When you buy something it is your choice where to buy it at.

2) When you buy from mail order/internet/internationally you know something is more difficult to return than if it is a store down the street.

4) Savings can be substantial.

4)Should problems arise the pain in the ass involved can be substantial:lol  (See #1 and #2)

Four $60 w/ shipping figures = $240

Four $80 w/ or w/out free shipping = $320

Is the problem going to cost you $80 for a $60 figure assuming we are using carbots in our example?

I have had on MP issue it was on Prowl and I got him from BBTS, they did take care of it immediately, only asked for me to send a pic of the glue blotch on the windshield. As soon as the saw their return label in the mail, they dropped a new one in the mail on the way.

You add in shipping and your talking almost another $100 per 4 Masterpiece. It gets worse on larger figures................

I'll take my chances. Any way you slice it the money saved will more than pay for a replacement even if it came to a worse case scenario.

*drops mic*

20. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shipping is totally separate from the product. It'd make no sense to offer shipping cost refunds for a shipment that was successful. You got the product. It was either defective or not what you wanted but the shipping was on point. That's why shipping is a different line item and not figured into the price.

And since the shipping is zero money for a seller, if a seller was offering compensation on the shipping in case you don't like the product - he'd be sucker and out of business in a year.