Should Optimus have shown mercy? Spoilers inside!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Correct.

He's not the same as Megatron, Sentinel is an anti-villain [or an anti-hero, depending on the interpretation], while Megatron is one of the worst [in the sense of cruelty] villains in the history of Cinema.

BUT I still think Sentinel Prime went too far to return to his sane mind, by that point, he became to obsessed with Cybertron to ever return to his old ways.

You must also notice how he left Optimus survive in DC but in not a heroic manner: "You are lucky I didn't kill you." *rageful eyes* "In time, you will realize that I am right."

It was pretty much him throwing "Join me and we can rule the galaxy together" to Optimus, yes, that shows he at least had some mercy towards Optimus to see him as a equal, but that still doesn't change the fact he had a God-Complex ["WE WERE GODS! Now here they call us machines!"] and that he was willing to enslave a entire race for the survival of Cybertron.

"We will kill them all" was more of a reassurance to Sam than a brag about how badass the Autobots are, it was more something like: "Nothing to fear Sam, we will kill them all.", you can see it by the way he said [looking directly at Sam and in a very low tone, instead of the usual screaming badassery of his to the phrases of awesomeness he uses].

And yes, it's a war, and unfortunately, Sentinel chose the wrong side.

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'm not saying that they should let him live. But how hard is it to let Megatron kill him, or have him lunge at Optimus, forcing Op to kill him?

That's a weird interpretation and an even weirder reassurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're wrong on that. When your enemy is down for the count, and no longer able to fight or resist, they're arrested, not shot like a dog.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Having a fusion shotgun aimed at him doesn't count?

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I think that all the deceptions Prime killed had to be killed (wih the exception of megatron)

Prime is supposed to stand for good, to have ethics and this is his biggest weakness which completes the character, if he fights and kills like a decepticon then they are not staying ture to the character.

There is a difference between killing in battle and executing a defeated enemy. IF Prime had killed everyone in battle we would all agree that he needed to, but he executes enemies by decapitating them in cold blood and that's what we don't agree with.

Prime killing decepticons in battle while in chicago = Good

Prime decapitating Megatron after he could no longer fight and asked for a truce = So Wrong.

5. fett51

fett51 Member

He still let a very real threat to his plans go free for no discernible reason other than friendship/ethics. If he did it even though he was angry, it only goes more to my point that he had not gone all the way over the edge.

Well, we can use his other dialogue to parse exactly what the god stuff means exactly. When he was about to kill Optimus, he said "we were gods, but here there will only be one." From that line, I'd say it's pretty clear he's talking about being a Prime. Per his rampage through the NEST hangar, being a Prime means he won't take orders from humans, and that likely applies to his "I will work with you but not for you" freakout at Megatron as well. So from that I'd say he means god in terms of being in charge of their race's destiny, as opposed to submitting to Megatron or humans (who he thinks are all racist). Which fits neatly into the rest of his psychology, unlike him suddenly going batslag and thinking he's Primus after a long history of being a model autobot.

And yeah, the crux of my objection is that, assuming cybertron destroyed, his motivation to harm us is gone.

I read it as cold rage. Also didn't help he let the wreckers indulge their sadism right after.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Well, let's just say that Osama bin Laden would have preferred you being on Seal Team 6, and then let you infer the meaning behidn that with what you said, what I said, and the discussion at large.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Do you really think Megs was sincere when he said that? In con speak, that means "lemme reload."

8. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not too many people understand that, both in this fandom and in real life. At least this version of Optimus understands it (and responded with an axe to the face).

9. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

It's also unclear if he meant 'truce' to Optimus, so they can gang up on Sentinel, or 'truce' to Sentinel so they can gang up on Optimus.

So, why risk being ganged up on?
    And even if Megatron wanted to partner with him, why risk getting shot in the back when it was all over?

Megatron didn't get to be "the big bad evil guy" cause he was nice after all.

10. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

What? Are we watching the same movie? Looks to me Megatron can indeed fight, and took down a foe that even Optimus couldn't, and to top it off, if you actually believed that truce that Megatron offered, you're a moron!

11. Dropshot

News Credits:
    Of course he wasn't being sincere! Remember this is based on a cartoon? But you people are still failing to understand the difference between killing in battle and executing, do you remember that Prime is supposed to be the leader of the heroic autobots? You know, the ones who stand for good and justice and not kill everyone on sight?

Prime is merciful, that is his biggest character trait and that is his biggest weakness, it's part of who he is, so in fact, it's been exploited by his enemies before.

Even in ROTF they were hunting down decepticons, meaning they shoot first, no questions asked. Sideways just tried to escape and never fought back.

What would have happened in they found Jetfire first? He would have tried to escape but probably would end up decapitated or with his face blasted off.

Demolishor, The fallen and Megatron were the bad guys and deserved to die fightin, not being executed by Krueger Prime when they were beyond defeated.

Can you now see the difference?

So you are insulting me? Classy. Read above as you still clearly can't understand.

12. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So you're saying that he should have this ridiculous weakness because he has always been this level of stupid? Why not improve the character and have him learn from his mistakes?

13. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Just saw it again. The battle is still going on, from Prime's perspective. Megatron is armed and dangerous and Sentinel is getting back up. Prime's missing one arm and has a gimpy remaining arm (Sentinel stabbed him through the shoulder), so at this point, the only thing standing between Sentinel getting up and killing everyone is Prime shooting first.

As for Prime's mercy in the cartoons, just watch TFtM '86. He shows up and kills 'Cons left and right, without asking for surrender once. In fact, when he sees Megatron, OPTIMUS is the one who demands a duel to the death.

14. Dropshot

News Credits:
    You are still missing the part where Megatron asks for a truce and Prime INITIATES the attack, Megatron can barely react and defend himself!!! You saw that part of the movie right? The same when he killed demolishor.

As for the animated movie, when Prime confronts megatron he says one shall stand one shall fall, meaning that one will be defeated and the other victorious, not "I'll kill you be taking your head"

You guys are somehow missing that I agree with Prime killing in battle as I have said numerous times, just that I don't think he should executes enemies mercilessly.

15. Dropshot

News Credits:
    Improving him? Really? REALLY? By losing one of his biggest character traits as being a compassionate leader?

Yes, I'm saying that he hould acknowledge when the battle is over and that there's no point in wasting another life.

If you want a coldblooded murderous prime then fine, but I think he should be restricted by a moral code that sometimes plays against him.

16. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

LET US END THIS. 'How?' you may wonder. I have the answer here, that will end the 30 page war between your two camps.

Pretty much the idealistic G1 prime witnessed something horrendous (the great war) and maybe he could have done more to stop it, maybe he blames himself somehow, but one thing is sure, he wont let it happen again.

Conjecture, you say? Read below

ROTF: 'Earth must not suffer the same fate as Cybertron...' *sadface* 'whole generations lost'

17. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Demolishor is a different matter; I agree with you there.

But Megatron in DotM? Watch the movie again. It's not an execution.

First off, the line that Megatron spoke was: "We need a truce. All I want is to be in charge again. Besides, what would you be without me?" Note the second sentence; Megatron isn't asking for peace, he's asking Prime to step aside while he takes back control of the army that's been murdering civilians for the past several days.

Second, according to the rules of war, it's not a surrender if the enemy soldier is still pointing a gun in your direction. To surrender, you assume a non-threatening position and make your submission clear. Megatron had a loaded gun, while Optimus was missing an arm, had been stabbed through and dragged by his other arm, and was weaponless. If Megatron really wanted a truce, he should have dropped his gun, gotten on his knees, and put his hands in the air. If Prime had killed him then, then yes, THAT would be an execution.

Third, I really have to point out again the "murdering civilians" part; from the first movie, Megatron has been directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people. This is NO SMALL THING.

I want to try to put this in perspective.

Imagine:

You and three of your best friends walk into a mall. Suddenly, a gun-toting maniac and his gang walk in and start killing people. The maniac shoots your best friend and then cuts him in half in front of you.

But then, one of your two remaining friends says, "screw this, I'm not dying with you losers". He joins up with the maniac, shoots your last friend dead, and then says to you "look, we have to pick the winning side here. I'm going to tie you up and let you think about this for a while, because I like you, unlike our other buddy there, who I just killed."

Your traitor-friend and the maniac then proceed to gleefully murder more children and other helpless people than you can count, with guns, knives, their bare hands. The floor runs red with the blood of innocents.

Eventually, you break free of your bonds, find your traitor-friend in the midst of setting fire to the whole building, and you fight him. He breaks your right arm and wrist, and dislocates your left shoulder. You're blinded in one eye, and your leg is gimped. He drags you a good ten feet along the ground by your dislocated arm. Then, as he's cutting your throat, the original maniac comes in the room, and shoots your traitor friend in the back. Then, as the building is lit on fire, and children run screaming through the room, with gang members chasing them down, the maniac waves a loaded assault rifle wildly, looks at you, and says "We need a truce now. I need to be in charge again."

I don't care how noble you were when the day started; at this exact moment, with innocent lives at stake, your body shattered, your friends dead, and your enemy armed with a powerful firearm, are you really going to just nod and say "okay, let's just dial it back a notch and talk this out"?

Or, if you surprise the gun-toting maniac by tackling him with your gimped leg and stabbing him using your dislocated arm, would anyone say you overreacted?

18. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

The Beast Wars would have been alot shorter if when Megatron showed up to call a truce Optimus ripped his spine out.

19. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

hell no! optimus for what i can tell was sick and tried of the decepticons and the war he wanted to end it.

20. Irony

Irony fangirl

"Second, according to the rules of war, it's not a surrender if the enemy soldier is still pointing a gun in your direction. To surrender, you assume a non-threatening position and make your submission clear. Megatron had a loaded gun, while Optimus was missing an arm, had been stabbed through and dragged by his other arm, and was weaponless. If Megatron really wanted a truce, he should have dropped his gun, gotten on his knees, and put his hands in the air. If Prime had killed him then, then yes, THAT would be an execution. "

Well, Megatron not. But Sentinel Prime was NO LONGER holding a weapon, he was begging for mercy. And understanding.
    Besides (what Optimus missed but we didn't) Sentinel made it clear he was working WITH not FOR the Decepticons.