Should Non-Transforming TFs Be Considered Action Masters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arkimus Prime, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

In-universe, an Action Master is a Transformer who got infused with Nucleon and as a result lost the ability to transform, but gained extra strength in return. They also all came with an accessory that could transform and gave them extra playabilty. This could be something small that transformed into a gun/transport, or a vehicle that transformed into a base or exo suit. That's a pretty well defined definition.

The absolute majority of current non-transformable Transformer figures do not fit that description. (There was a model kit for Bumblebee that came with his Action Master helicopter, so perhaps he's the exception.) So, no, I don't think we should refer to them as Action Masters.

As for how we should describe them? Why not just by what they're called, i.e. the line under which they're sold.

• Like Like x 3
  2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it would be cheeky fun if Super7 released the Reaction figures colored LIKE Action Masters on a vintage style cardback as REACTION MASTERS.

But true action masters have knee joints and can do splits. And if Hasbro ever updated the concept, I imagine they'd be 4-5 inch articulated figures at least on par with SW Galaxy of Adventures or perhaps Mega Construx style mini figures with big transforming vehicles/accessories and maybe playsets.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Right along with flying the donkey and hampering swine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe

• Like Like x 1
  5. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but by the “all non-transforming Transformers are Action Masters” logic, if I had collected the 3A figures and nothing else, I could yell, “Hey everyone, look at my awesome Action Masters collection,” without actually owning a single Action Master. That seems confusing at best, and misleading at worst. Why not just call them toys, because who cares?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    I thought I made it fairly obvious with my use of "Feh!".

Look, I don't particularly care for Transformers that don't transform, but I'm not going to legitimately "gatekeep" (whatever the eff that even means) if other people genuinely like that sort of thing. My trans metallic tongue was firmly planted inside of my faceplate.

I guess next time I have to actually put *sarcasm* tags.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Action Masters are a specific set of figures that correlate to a specific in-universe phenomenon. As others have said, if it's something else that doesn't transform it's just an action figure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Action Masters WERE transforming toys. They changed from a robot with a pet into a robot with a gun. Or a robot in a car into a robot in a jet. Or a robot in a tank into a robot in a ...something else.

9. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

In that case, I apologize for coming at you so hard. I just know people who have been hurt by toxic TRU FANZ and I made a commitment to not stand by when I see it happening.

Sarcasm is hard to notice on a screen, so I overreacted.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm usually more on the ball :lol 

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Well for some of us as kids, Actionmasters were the only way we could get characters like Shockwave and Blaster that weren't previously available in our country.

Don't know why you're apologising to him. Guy comes into the thread and unapologetically berates people who like a branch of the franchise he doesn't.

He should apologise for his rude dismisiveness. There are too many people like that on this site these days. They insult and cause trouble then when challenged call it a joke or convinced of their own skewed perspective continue to insult, seemingly oblivious of any wrong doing on their part.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Isaac Hill

Isaac Hill Systems Analyst

When I first saw this thread, I thought, "Sure, why not refer to non-transforming TFs by the term for the first version of that?" But then I read the posts about the accessories and vehicles the original Action Masters came with, and realized there's more to Action Masters than not transforming. But, there are other toys that meet that criteria, like the aforementioned Bee kit. Or, the LEGO/Kre-O version of AM WJ's car I made; is my Wheeljack Kreon now an Action Master?

Now I think people who insist that the term "Action Master" should only be used to refer to the original 80s and 90s toys are like people who complain when someone uses "literally" to mean "figuratively". You're correct, but you've lost.

13. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

Just trying to keep the peace, but I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    These are Action Masters Action Master - Transformers Wiki

You can unofficially in your head canon call other non transforming figures Action Masters if you like but that's not what they are.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    Did you read my follow up posts? If you couldn't detect my obvious sarcasm in an attempt to add some levity, then that's on you.

But as I said before, I'll probably have to literally tag any future such posts with *sarcasm*, since at times it appears to be difficult to discern through mere text.

16. HAL237

HAL237 Be provocative, be organized

News Credits:
    There really wasn’t any indication you were being sarcastic in your original post.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    No. I think they're just considered action figures at that point. I could be wrong though. I own and like some of them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to lose the attitude. It's not on me. You came across as rude and dismissive and typical of the breed I described, you blame everyone else because you're blinded by your own ego.

Suggest you lose the sarcasm and the arrogance.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Sarcasm is blue text

20. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    WHOOSH

Like I said I didn't think anyone would take it at face value with my use of "Feh!" That's a type of expression that denotes insincerity. So you see, there indeed was an indication of sarcasm, you merely missed it. I'll just have to be WAY more obvious next time.

Is it really? I'll try to remember next time.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1