should i trade my psp for a ds?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by smangerbot, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I have both and I hav'nt played the PSP in a longass time. Been all over some Castlevania , Animal Crossing and some MarioLuigi DS though.
    I think it's a good swap if you could only have 1 , the DS is too sweet. So many old GBA games to throw in there as well. Plus Metroid is about to arrive.

Plus you'll like how you can just close it up during interuptions. Great for long shits
    too

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    There's no mod. The PSP plays homebrew apps right out of the box, as long as you get the right firmware.

The PSP features downloaded demos and game sharing, which can be exploited to run unofficial programs. All of the firmware versions are capable of running homebrew, it just gets more complex as it goes on.

Here, I'll just write a little firmware guide:

1.0: Original Japanese release, ran unsigned content without any hassles

1.5: International release, runs only signed content, which can be faked by using a program known as KXploit. Most new homebrew releases come pre-kxploited.

1.51 and 1.52: Firmware update released by Sony. Adds no functionality and breaks kxploit.

2.0: Adds web browser and support for AVC video, mp4 and wav audio, custom backgrounds and tiff image formats. An exploit using the tiff format allows small homebrews to be loaded, most notably a downgrader to firmware 1.5

2.01: Breaks tiff eloader. An exploit that requires a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories allows the same programs as the 2.0 eloader to run.

2.50: Streaming video and audio added. GTA eloader still works.

2.60: RSS feeds added. GTA eloader still works.

I've kept my PSP at version 1.5. A homebrew has just been released that allows a 1.5 psp to run any UMD that needs a higher firmware, and the various homebrew programs that can run on 1.5 add more functions than Sony's upgrades anyway.

As far as emulators go, NES, GBC, Master System, Genesis, SNES and Neo-Geo all run beautifully, and the GBA, PS1 and N64 emulators, though buggy now, are being constantly improved.

I don't have a list of the games that have online play, smangerbutt, but I know Gretzky NHL did. So there.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

smangerbutt?

*changes sig*

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Not hardly the GBA port and functionality were added by Nintendo, illegal and unsupported mods to a system can never count to it's out of the box playability. Sorry but anyway you look at it, the DS has far superior playability as sold than the PSP does.

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Once again I tell you it is NOT a mod, the PSP runs homebrew programs out of the box, and it is perfectly legal to do so.

6. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Right the emulators are legal. The ROMs are not. So if you want to look at the interface and menus or a emulator, great. As soon as you run a ROM on the emu, that is illegal. An no, deleting it in 24 hours is not legal, nor is owning the game. The EULA of most games say as much.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aren't there hacks and mods for the DS as well?