Should I Start Collecting G1 Figures or 2007 Movie Figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 26, 2016.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I'd go with G1 myself -- as much better toys as modern TFs are, there is still something a tad magical to me about the Diaclone/Microchange molds. (There's not a lot I'd recommend post-86, but still gems to be found like Doublecross)

And like many have said, MOST of the 07 movie molds aren't the best versions of the characters (and Takaras 10th Anniversary line next year covers a lot, but not all of the best versions)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I'm sure there are tears of laughter either way.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Ask yourself this, are you doing it just to round out your collection or because its the trendy thing to do? Are you gonna be okay with some of the problems vintage toys have? Sometimes they need a little extra care after they arrive. Do you have reliable online resources so you won't overpay? Most importantly, do you genuinely Like them?

We can't tell you if you should get them or not, but if you like them, if you can be okay with at least some old toy problems, then go for it!

If your doing it because you think its the trendy thing to do amongst tf collectors, but aren't into them then don't bother. Generations and Combiner Wars are beautiful and affordable G1 alternatives and are less prone to plastic degradation, long term damage from sun and rough play.

4. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Legitimate Salvage

I'm not one to give advice on G1 collecting, but if you're on a budget, then definitely don't be a MISB collector. You will die. (Or just run out of money pretty quickly) Also, for the really rarer, more expensive guys, consider just giving in and buying a good KO. Might save you some heartache.

If you go movieverse, there's a shit ton of awesome (but expensive) third party figures coming out for guys who never got good toys/toys at all. (Notably, Blackout, Bonecrusher, f***ing DINO, and better, leader ROTF and DOTM Megs.) But the best advice I can give you is: GET THE HARD TO FIND STUFF THE MOMENT YOU SEE IT. You will never see it again.

*crying over shrine of deluxe leadfoot*

Hmph. Every time I show my 'Erector' to a lady, all they ever do is laugh at how small he is.

• Like Like x 3
  5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to agree. Very few of the 07 figures are the definitive versions of those characters (at least if other versions were made).

It's entirely possible that the majority of figures who have a ROTF or Hunt for the decipticon figure may have that as the definitive version. Outside of the masterpiece and original G1 figures based of Diaclones, it's one of the most impressive runs Transformers have had.

6. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

I think aged 14 you shouldn't be too concerned with building a collection quite yet. Your income is still pretty low and you shouldn't be holding yourself to the standards of people who throw hundreds of pounds at the hobby every year. Plus buying vintage figures like you're looking at is a pain in the arse when you're that age, as it all has to be online. Buy the occasional figure that you definitely want, from the ranges that are out in the shops at any given time. By the time you can afford to start properly spending on the hobby you'll have a better idea of the sorts of toys you like, and what you don't.

Personally I started collecting when I was 18, had started uni and had real money for the first time. But even then I only bought a select few figures from oldRID and Armada, learning pretty quickly that Armada was not the line for me. It's a learning curve, and you don't want to be wasting too much money on a learning curve.

7. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'm a big g1er but I would say CHUG instead. the G1 figures can go for A LOT of money and aren't as fun. they have a million parts, not great articulation. while yes there are some great G1 figures, I would do a G1 CHUG fest

• Like Like x 1
  8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Also, toy collecting is NOT a reliable investment. No speculation market item is. All it takes is a dip in popularity and the value of your "investment" drops through the roof. Ask anyone that got Ultraforce figures about that, or even the Youngblood or WildC.A.T.s figures. If you want an investment, buy gold.

• Like Like x 3
  9. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I think Pogs are gonna be big again any day now....

10. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you know that disco sales records went up a record 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continue.... AAAAAAAAAAAYYY.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i disagree with 14 being too young; that's when i really started (vintage star wars). and it doesn't have to be online, he can hit up yard sales, thrift shops, and want/sale ads (now on craigslist). i got a massive score (and some lesser hits) of Star Wars at 15 from running a want ad in a paper, and my dad used it as a lesson for me to negotiate by having me do all the negotiation. i saved the money from doing yard work, manual labor help, and gifts. i also look back and kick myself for not buying MISB TF's then when most went for about $30 since i wanted to save my money to buy en masse loose figures.

and if OP gets a good score, even if it's not what he wants, he could resell it or trade it for what he does.

-

• Like Like x 1
  12. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Ah okay, I'll clarify. It's by no means impossible to start collecting at that age, but it's a bit young to be concerned with serious collecting. Buying what you can afford, being smart and shrewd about bargains and second hand offers, sure. But don't take it too far. Toy collecting is hardly cheap and there are a bunch of other things a lad/lass of 14 will want to spend their time and money on.

13. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    TF Collecting: better than the drugs and the rock and roll.

I'll tell ya what you don't want to get into when you're 14. Racing. That's a money pit and then some. Wasn't nothing to spend $500 a weekend on tires, gas and general maintenance and pit fees and traveling expenses.

You stick to your toys, just be selective with what you want.

Masterpiece. Like G1 but better... Not movie related, win. Just don't go third party... that's what'll bleed you dry.

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a kid that grew up with 80s TFs from the time of release..I can tell you unless your getting PRISTINE high dollar MIB or PRISTINE G1 loosies..they dont display well. Plus..some of the nostalgia is lost when you realize that massive toy you had is now only a couple inches tall.

Id say make a nice movie collection. Right now is a good time..you can get MISB stuff cheap and open them..whatever.

ever think of an alternators collection?? I LOOooove alts

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    I almost suggested that line too. It's finite and aftermarket prices are good. But the redundant and excessive use of molds and transformation schemes kinda leaves things lackluster in hindsight. I mean, yeah, I loved the line too and still have all my collection... But the hindered articulation and dahfuk? character choices may not be suitable for a "new" collector. Especially when you can buy just Meister, Mirage, V2 Ravage and Grimlock and go, "There, that's the best the line has to offer[?]. I can now call my collection complete but feel as though I'm missing something more as well." Plus you're gonna slippery slope into old MPs when you're like, "I need a Prime... Like MP-01 or MMP-10! And a Megatron... Like MP-05.. maybe... I guess. And a Starscream that isn't a car or custom."

MP-10 and on Masterpiece. Clean, simple, easy to acquire... G1 in a better format. Again, stay with the official Takara pieces and you'll be safe enough from excessive spending [even if you do find the TTM seekers on your want list someday].

16. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Go Masterpiece, kiddo. Because once you get one, then it's on like Donkey Kong. This line is the new G1, official or not.

Dude, third party is now cheaper than new official stuff.

17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Yes but no... when you collect strictly official pieces, you may pay more for a figure but you only buy the one version. With third parties thrown in to the mix you're more likely to go... "Well, I like this about this one... But MMC's has this and Maketoys' is better here. Set your limits and stay the course... less you wind up with three Infernos and all the repaints.

18. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I'm pretty picky with what I get. I have a ton of third party and the only figures I replaced for official were TFC Ironhide and soon the be Maketoys Grapple (still a nice figure). There's no way Takara can make me part with FT figures, Ocular Max figures, MT Megatron, KO OS Grimlock, BB7 Seekers, KFC Blaster, BC Brawn and Outback, MT Reflector, etc.... These figure wars actually has had companies put more stuff on the table for more informed (well, kind of) decisions on what to get. Look at the official Megs and Inferno. They have a heftier price tag that has even pushed MP collectors to choosing good third party alternatives. I would be curious to see the price tag for official dinobots. I don't see why they would not be more expensive than MP-32, unless they had no electronic gimmicks and had hardly any accessories that many official figures get. I'm not saying you're completely wrong or right since there are collectors who jump on the first available figure of a character, like a desperate dude trying to get laid with the first girl who says hi to him, who may regret their decision when they see a better official or third party figure.

19. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    G1 has the disadvantage of being old, Movie toys have the disadvantage of looking ugly. I'd recommend collecting Classics/Generations. But if it should be really one of those two, I'd say go G1.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I get the feeling if I invited 14 year old girls to my house with 'Hey babe, im about to show you something big, real big. MY TRANSFORMERS COLLECTION!' then I would be going to jail.

Sorry... On topic I would say if the 2007 movie was your gateway then that should be your focus? And the thing is, if you want to go 'definitive' it'd be pretty easy to do.

Definitive Prime? RotF Buster or DotM Jetwing.
    Optimus Prime (Buster) - Transformers Toys - TFW2005
    Optimus Prime (Jetwing) - Transformers Toys - TFW2005

Definitive Jazz? Human Alliance.
    Autobot Jazz with Captain Lennox - Transformers Toys - TFW2005

Definitive Bumblebee? HftD Battle Blades Bumblebee or Human Alliance Bumblebee.
    Bumblebee (Battle Blade) - Transformers Toys - TFW2005
    Bumblebee with Sam Witwicky - Transformers Toys - TFW2005

Definitive Stinger? AoE One Step Stinger.
    Decepticon Stinger - Transformers Toys - TFW2005

See? Easy.

• Like Like x 1